Live Discussion with Dr Simon Kyle - 20th February

Dr Kyle will be hosting a live online discussion here on Wednesday 20th February 7pm-8pm.

He will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour, starting with the most popular questions with answers being given in a way to give the most benefit to the general Community.

To have a say in which questions are answered, either:
+ post a question or comment ahead of the discussion, by clicking the blue ‘Add a comment’ button; or
+ vote on other people’s questions, by clicking the blue ‘Yes’ button underneath the relevant comment.

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to ‘refresh’ this discussion page.

To do this:

+ On PC hit ‘Ctrl’ and ‘R’ or the ‘F5’ key
+ On Mac hit ‘Command’ or ‘Apple’ and ‘R’

Posted 14 Feb 2013 at 3:09 PM
  • 45 comments
  • 18 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Expert

great question harrington. remember that it is not only about too much artificial light at night but also lack of light exposure in the morning (this helps re-set the body clock – see my article on the seasonal effects of sleep). emerging research is suggesting that light exposure through tablets, computers etc, late at night may be enough to affect melatonin and stimulate the mind.

• Sleepio Member

• 703 comments
    • 235 helped
    Graduate

Yes it was with the onset of insomnia Dr Kyle that I knocked exercise on the head assuming exercise when tired would be counter productive if not impossible, until one evening tired as I was I went for a five mile run and my mood and energy levels were elevated and I felt so alive. I then ran half a marathon on 4 hours sleep and it was faster than the one one I ran before I developed insomnia. I never stopped exercising after that.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

great comments grumpy imp – and I do hope this statement hasn't discouraged anyone!

Like any intervention (whether it be a medical intervention delivered by one's GP for example) there will always be people that don't 'respond' or derive benefit. This could be for a variety of reasons i.e. not taking the pill (to continue the example above), or failing to implement the procedures in the optimal way. Certainly, we know that good adherence is related to positive outcomes. Beyond this however, the literature does not truly yet understand why people benefit where as others don't. The reasons are likely to be multifactorial and include social, psychological, biological and even cultural reasons.

Also, there should be a caveat on what one means by “responding” versus “not-responding”. it rarely is a simple dichotomy, people may still benefit but perhaps not reach an arbitrary criteria level set by researchers (e.g. minutes to fall asleep). Perhaps some people whom we might call “non-responders” have improved daytime functioning but not gross changes in sleep, yet are still content with the outcome = they feel a lot better. Also perhaps some don't “respond” straight away but months after feel the gain and improvement. So a lot of this debate relates to measurement. The bottom line is the vast majority of people that take part in CBT-based approaches for sleep do well. Ultimately, you can only really know yourself whether you have received benefit, and that is the most important outcome.

hope this helps (and doesn't confuse by introducing jargon)

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

that can certainly be a contributing factor – and sometimes the unpredictability of not knowing when you will or if you will be woken up can make us a bit more hypervigilant.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

great question grumpy imp – yes and possibly through two routes. it makes people more likely and able to adhere to the sleep window, and might reduce anxiety and concerns about next day functioning. the best chance to achieve response, however, is by consolidating sleep into a block and this can often (though by no means always) happen quite effectively within a few weeks. when I say extending it, I mean only slightly by say 15 or 30 minutes (to avoid excessive sleepiness during day) and typically only one change over a week period.

• Sleepio Member

• 132 comments
    • 72 helped
    Graduate

Thanks Dr Kyle.

Knowing the success/failure rates hasn't discourage me. If it doesn't work for me, it certainly won't be through lack of trying.

• Sleepio Member

• 132 comments
    • 72 helped
    Graduate

Thanks again for the answer on the sleep window extension question. That was very helpful.

• Sleepio Member

• 512 comments
    • 191 helped
    Graduate

I agree – by the time I got to Sleepio I was ready to try anything, including cutting my head off – but by session 4 I nearly classed myself as a failure. If I'd realised the rates I might have given up at that stage – if you lot (grads) had let me…., ;-)

• Sleepio Member

• 132 comments
    • 72 helped
    Graduate

I think I went a bit too gung ho on my first sleep window. I'm doing much better on my more moderate one.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

thanks banjodancing. one thing to ascertain is if this is your natural body clock rhythm? do you usually wake up at this time (has this historically been your pattern)? (early morning awakenings are often quite common with advancing age too). if the answer is generally no to these two points, then it might be possible to shift your sleep window, slowly (15 minutes for one week) to determine if you are able to go to bed slightly later and rise slightly later – the other thing is whether this is your normal sleep duration (the right amount of sleep for you – also affected by age?). certainly, it is great progress that you are sleeping right through!

• Sleepio Member

• 703 comments
    • 235 helped
    Graduate

No way we would have let you do that katecelyn no way!!!

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

thanks for sharing bryan1939 – you're reminding me just how much I miss running and I need to get back to the gym!

• Sleepio Member

• 20 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

Sleep tight everybody!

• Sleepio Member

• 208 comments
    • 62 helped
    Graduate

Hello everybody. Sorry to miss the forum but will pick up on the posts later. I'm on a train right now (hideously delayed Leeds London route. – nightmare travel) so wasn't able to get on line.

• Sleepio Member

• 512 comments
    • 191 helped
    Graduate

Have a restful nIght everyone – except those now about to run 25 miles… (go for t'ai chi – much more restful)

Thanks Dr Kyle

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

thanks katecelyn and grumpy imp – great to see everyone supporting each other. even though I'm so aware of the importance of the community, it really impresses me every time I read supportive threads (of which there are many)

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

many thanks for joining tonight everyone. wishing you the best for the week and speak next time.

• Sleepio Member

• 703 comments
    • 235 helped
    Graduate

Goodnight one and all. Off now for a six miler. always like to run at night along the beach so quiet no traffic only other runners.

• Sleepio Member

• 132 comments
    • 72 helped
    Graduate

Good night everyone!

• Sleepio Member

• 208 comments
    • 62 helped
    Graduate

Not going to happen!!!

Return to top