Live discussion with Dr Simon Kyle - 20th August

Dr Kyle will be hosting a live online discussion here on Wednesday 20th August, 7pm-8.30pm.

He will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour and a half, starting with the most popular questions with answers being given in a way to give the most benefit to the general Community.

To have a say in which questions are answered, either:
+ post a question or comment ahead of the discussion, by clicking the blue ‘Add a comment’ button; or
+ vote on other people’s questions, by clicking the blue ‘Yes’ button underneath the relevant comment.

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to 'refresh' this discussion page.

To do this:

- On PC hit 'Ctrl' and 'R' or the 'F5' key
- On Mac hit 'Command' or 'Apple' and 'R'

Posted 14 Aug 2014 at 2:59 PM
  • 44 comments
  • 22 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Expert

great questions Lynn L; and these are important tips from anniem. a 2hr rule for computer/laptop use would be wise, and self-judgement on the extent to which a film/programme is likely to move you emotionally/or arouse you mentally.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

great question rivkie and a common experience for many. tapering, even after such a long time, is certainly possible (as anniem points out) but this is best done in consultation with and under the guidance of your doctor.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

thanks for your question, Pei. I've certainly met many people with a similar entry into poor sleep e.g. through a circadian rhythm challenge (like shift work). Even on return to a normal 9-5, poor sleep can remain. As far as I'm aware there is no clear literature looking at a specific subgroup of people in terms of treatment response, but on my (non-scientific) experience this is no barrier to improvement.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

Pei, I also meant to say that with respect to the hormonal supplements, I know of no strong evidence in the context of poor sleep (despite the number of claims that exist).

I see you are on session 3 – how are you finding the course so far?

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

good questions Josiejo. as the withdrawals are in effect a challenge to sleep, how you respond to that sleep challenge is likely to influence how long the poor sleep may continue. in this respect, sleepio techniques should help you deal with the effects and assist with your return to normal sleep. as you probably know, also worth discussing medication tapering with your GP.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

thanks Bunny88… the sleepio programme over time will help you restructure your sleep; mentally prepare you for sleep; and help you deal with challenges to your sleep over time. improving sleep in this way will hopefully then benefit you during the day (e.g. feel less fatigued, less anxious and potential help with pain experiences). as you now, this can take several weeks for some and change in behaviours and how you think about sleep.

It's always worth discussing with GP when reducing medication does, to assist with understanding and managing any associated consequences.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

Hi Bunny88 – it is British Summer Time

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

HI Pinky – great question. It is of course very early days (I see you have completed session 1). changes in sleep can vary from person to person but in general most people notice changes in weeks 3-6, and gains can continue to be achieved several weeks and months after this. over the next few sessions, “The Prof” will introduce techniques which will equip you with the skills to help improve the quality of your sleep and how you feel during the day.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

HI Pinky – I see several claims about these machines but I have not seen any evidence that they can help improve sleep in those with insomnia. indeed, it is possible that they could have negative effects (It's really hard to tell without appropriate scientific investigation)

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

great questions Lynn L -you will begin to learn some of these strategies over the next couple of sessions – and you are right, the aim is to align our natural rhythm with sleep pressure to help consolidate sleep and increase feelings of restedness on awakening.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

many thanks, Pei. it is fine to start SR even after a bad night (indeed this is the advice if you have a bad night during SR – keep going with the plan). Of course, always be careful about safety if you are very sleepy the next day.

you are right about tailoring the sleep window to your natural rhythm – you should get the choice to do this?

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

great progress, FredHK! often the first 4-6 weeks is about getting your sleep pattern into shape and in my experience improvements in energy can come slightly after this as sleep continues to improve/consolidate. again, this can vary from person to person, but you are likely to see greater/continuing improvement in how you are feeling during the day over the next few weeks to a month

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

thanks for your comment, Smiles. I see you are on session 1 and over the next few weeks “The Prof” will introduce new techniques to help you deal with this wakefulness during the night and consolidate your sleep into a block…

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

many thanks for your wise advice and sharing of experiences L.O.W.!

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

hi lolita – I can see the rationale for the glasses although I'm not sure if there is any evidence for them yet. certainly the course techniques will be the first port of call and then perhaps once you have assessed the benefits of the course, the glasses could be tested (but always best to do independently so you get a sense of what is helping)

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Hi Dr. Kyle,

I know it's just the last few minutes of the session so don't know if you'll have time to answer, but I wanted to ask:
    I've noticed that when I have a good night (sleep around what I've been allotted for SR, get good SE) I rebound the next night or so getting considerably less sleep and a much lower SE. It is creating this wave pattern in my sleep diary. Is this normal, and is there something I can be doing to even it out? I am being very good about SR, even when I get under 5 (and in one case under 2) hours of sleep.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

HI Sleepymountain – these are great questions. and questions that I think the sleep community are still grappling with. There is ongoing work looking at the prevalence of REM-related AHI, and the impact (since comparatively we spend less time in REM than NREM), as well as whether REM-AHI represents early signs of sleep-disordered breathing that may go on to develop in NREM too. I would recommend discussing with your sleep doctor in the first instance but I'm also attaching a link to a good short commentary on the nature of AHI-REM.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3242688/pdf/aasm.35.1.5.pdf

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

thanks BK – this is very common in the early weeks of SR and can take a few weeks to reduce the night-to-night variability, but it will occur with continued adherence to sleep window and QHR.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

thanks for joining tonight folks, we're out of time! look forward to “speaking” next time.

• Sleepio Member

• 184 comments
    • 17 helped
    Graduate

Pity! Just logged on too late and missed the live
    [part!

Return to top