Live Discussion with Dr Simon Kyle - 1st February

Dr Kyle will be hosting a live online discussion here on Wednesday 1st February 7pm-8pm.

He will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour, starting with the most popular questions with answers being given in a way to give the most benefit to the general Community.

To have a say in what questions get answered, either: – post a question or comment ahead of the discussion, by clicking the blue 'Comment' link below this message; or – vote on other people's questions, by clicking the blue 'Yes' button to the right of the relevant comment.

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to 'refresh' this discussion page.

To do this:

- On PC hit 'Ctrl' and 'R' or the 'F5' key
- On Mac hit 'Command' or 'Apple' and 'R'

Posted 30 Jan 2012 at 4:29 PM
  • 89 comments
  • 35 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 199 comments
    • 96 helped
    Graduate

12.15 to 7.00. Probably am inherently an evening person but have often said in recent years that it takes me until lunchtime to get going and I've gone off again by tea time – exageration but you get the picture. I'm never sure whether the ability to sleep when its time to get up is 'grasping at straws' or real.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Expert

Thanks earlybird. we tend to experience most deep sleep in the first 1/3 of the night, and most REM sleep in the latter part of the night. Do you find that you waken more easily towards the middle-end of the night?

• Sleepio Member

• 573 comments
    • 218 helped
    Graduate

I feel I have the opposite to many people, deep sleep,but no light sleep – wake after deep sleep and then no more sleep.

• Sleepio Member

• 199 comments
    • 96 helped
    Graduate

I'll second that! We'll prop each other up through the struggle – and no we won't give up

• Sleepio Member

• 197 comments
    • 83 helped
    Graduate

Im a day behind you Night Owl and like you , Im feeling the strain and pain of SR. Im determined to get “there” wherever there may be- as long as it means better quality and quantity sleep for me. Its reassuring that we are not alone in our struggles, and we have expert advice to hand.

• Sleepio Member

• 39 comments
    • 9 helped
    Graduate

Oh for some deep sleep!

• Sleepio Member

• 573 comments
    • 218 helped
    Graduate

Chrispy I would take my hat off to you if I were wearing one because you're SR and working. I think that really heroic.

• Sleepio Member

• 95 comments
    • 41 helped
    Graduate

Dr Kyle, how many sleep cycles do you go through in one night, sometimes I wake up and I'm in the middle of a dream and it makes me feel shattered…

• Sleepio Member

• 573 comments
    • 218 helped
    Graduate

Oh! dear.

• Sleepio Member

• 39 comments
    • 9 helped
    Graduate

Goodnight everyone and thanks Dr Kyle

• Sleepio Member

• 197 comments
    • 83 helped
    Graduate

Goodnight all and thanks again Dr Kyle

• Sleepio Member

• 1915 comments
    • 442 helped
    Graduate

YEAH BLACKWOOD THIS OFTEN HAPPENS TO ME BUT I USUALLY NODD OFF AGAIN.

• Sleepio Member

• 573 comments
    • 218 helped
    Graduate

Yes you have o be prepared to readjust any commitments you might have and just go with the flow of the day.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

These are encouraging comments all. in the next few days and week, you will begin to feel changes to how you experience sleep e.g. changes in depth, quality, awakenings. these are all normal and good signs. indeed the increased sleep pressure (even if during the day) is also a good sign. It shows the programme is working and that you are able to feel sleepy-tired, not just knackered-tired. I hear this all the time from patients and research participants. stick with it, be safe at all times, and look forward to speaking and hearing news next week. many thanks for joining everyone

• Sleepio Member

• 573 comments
    • 218 helped
    Graduate

Thank you Dr. Kyle, have you said goodbye somewhere?

• Sleepio Member

• 95 comments
    • 41 helped
    Graduate

For me i'ts when I have to get up, looks like i'm to late with my question and missed Dr Kyle.

• Sleepio Member

• 199 comments
    • 96 helped
    Graduate

G'night and thanks all

• Sleepio Member

• 1915 comments
    • 442 helped
    Graduate

NITE ALL.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

Thanks folks. That's us for tonight. have a good week and I'll be sure to get round to more questions next week. good luck!

• Sleepio Member

• 765 comments
    • 265 helped
    Graduate

Thanks all especially Dr. Kyle – my first excursion into writing on this site of live discussion.

Return to top