Live Discussion with Dr Simon Kyle - 19th September

Dr Kyle will be hosting a live online discussion here on Wednesday 19th September 7pm-8pm.

He will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour, starting with the most popular questions with answers being given in a way to give the most benefit to the general Community.

To have a say in which questions are answered, either:
+ post a question or comment ahead of the discussion, by clicking the blue ‘Add a comment’ button; or
+ vote on other people’s questions, by clicking the blue ‘Yes’ button underneath the relevant comment.

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to 'refresh' this discussion page.

To do this:

- On PC hit 'Ctrl' and 'R' or the 'F5' key
- On Mac hit 'Command' or 'Apple' and 'R'

Posted 13 Sep 2012 at 4:48 PM
  • 96 comments
  • 43 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 167 comments
    • 41 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Graduate

Thanks, Camarco, I can see I am going to have to make some difficult choices on this cours. No reading in be! Ouch!

• Sleepio Member

• 874 comments
    • 210 helped
    Graduate

No I swapped Hissing SID for Cyril …his a good un

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

thanks newjohn, is that with a particular type of storyline or just in general?

• Sleepio Member

• 143 comments
    • 25 helped
    Graduate

Good evening Dr Kyle and everyone. I just want to say a big thank you to the Sleepio team and the expert sessions that are put on every week for us. Dr Kyle, my sleep has been good of late even though I may still wake up in the night at times. My sleep quality has improved that even when I get up to the toilet I can't wait to get back to bed straight away and I soon fall asleep. I don't dread going to bed which is a huge bonus. I think it all takes time for bad sleep to change. All the very best to the new Sleepio members.

• Sleepio Member

• 2805 comments
    • 528 helped
    Graduate

Ah! You haven't introduced me to Cyril yet Andy!

• Sleepio Member

• 874 comments
    • 210 helped
    Graduate

Naughty !!

• Sleepio Member

• 15 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

Everyone is talking about “sleepiness!“Even if I go 36 hous without shutting an eye and go on long walks -sponsored walk a few weeks ago of 19 miles-come home, eat, read etc etc I never feel tired , I dont feel “sleepyt”! I must be somekind of freak, obviously

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

thanks for the feedback lonepine77. that's an important point. if we start from the premise that poor sleep has been 'learned' over several years (in most cases), if not decades, it can take some time to 're-learn' how to sleep well again. but certainly possible.

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

hi Dr Kyle,its with just in general, mainly they are books that I have red many times before.

• Sleepio Member

• 14 comments
    • 2 helped
    Session 5

thanks Dr Kyle,i will read the sleepy during the day item.

• Sleepio Member

• 874 comments
    • 210 helped
    Graduate

Dr Kyle is there any chance someone could be high on natural adrenalin? and the reasons

• Sleepio Member

• 14 comments
    • 2 helped
    Session 5

thanks Andy,look forward hearing from you.

• Sleepio Member

• 874 comments
    • 210 helped
    Graduate

no problem

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

thanks maggiestrathy5. it is certainly the case that there is individual variation in how sleepy one feels. For example, I've met some individuals, who although only sleep 3-hours per night, do not feel sleepy/or tired for that matter. On the other hand, cutting an hour of a good sleeper (from 8 to 7 hours) may have rather negative impact on performance and well-being during the day. The sleep research field recognises that these differences exist, but the challenge remains to establish what factors account for it. Do you feel that the quality of sleep affects how you feel and function during the day?

• Sleepio Member

• 15 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

not really but I think it accounts for my being depressed with long hours reflectingo life!

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

thanks andymoir – certainly there has been some published research suggesting that factors related to arousal (like noradrenaline) may be elevated in poor sleepers, which could disrupt sleep. We are conducting work currently to determine if CBT-based techniques might alter stress hormones that could potentially be disrupting sleep. This is still very much in its infancy though.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

thanks for joining tonight, folks. Have a good week and speak next time!

• Sleepio Member

• 874 comments
    • 210 helped
    Graduate

Thanks Dr Kyle all the Grads and all the lovely new members for an interesting live session

• Sleepio Member

• 1136 comments
    • 211 helped
    Graduate

Thank you Dr. Kyle. And everyone.

• Sleepio Member

• 11 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 5

If I can't sleep, I often move downstairs to sleep on the couch. I find I can usually get back to sleep better down there and I'm not disturbing the missus.

Return to top