Live Discussion with Dr Simon Kyle - 18th July

Dr Kyle will be hosting a live online discussion here on Wednesday 18th July 7pm-8pm.

He will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour, starting with the most popular questions with answers being given in a way to give the most benefit to the general Community.

To have a say in which questions are answered, either:
+ post a question or comment ahead of the discussion, by clicking the blue ‘Add a comment’ button; or
+ vote on other people’s questions, by clicking the blue ‘Yes’ button underneath the relevant comment.

Posted 13 Jul 2012 at 9:02 AM
  • 57 comments
  • 22 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 81 comments
    • 49 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Graduate

Have a good session everyone. I have to go now.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

many thanks for the input nightjar. total sleep time tends to be the sleep diary parameter that takes a bit longer to change, generally due to sleep restriction implementation. are you still maintaining good quality sleep?

• Sleepio Member

• 2805 comments
    • 528 helped
    Graduate

bye ezgeez

• Sleepio Member

• 2805 comments
    • 528 helped
    Graduate

Yes the SQ is generally much better. At first every time I tried to increase my window it would deteriorate but in the last couple of weeks the total time has increased a little -average time asleep is 5hrs 50mins at the moment…..a definite improvement.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

thanks ezgeez. I often speak to people who say a similar thing: that the extension of the window (and sometimes the reduction of the window also) can lead to poorer sleep. I think this may well be because of increased attention/pre-occupation with sleep which might affect our ability to reduce arousal levels before and during sleep. Have you tried combining some cognitive techniques to assist? Of course the odd poor night of sleep is expected (even normal), the important thing is to continue to maintain the schedule – safe in the knowledge that you have a bank of experience (previous weeks) of doing SR well, and continue the implementaiton like a 'prescription', with a set defined threshold and rising time. Letting sleep regulate itself.

• Sleepio Member

• 680 comments
    • 138 helped
    Graduate

Goodnight ezgeez, sleep well!

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

thanks a lot Nightjar – see my comment below and let me know your thoughts.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

hi pwllheli, it is certainly very early days. some of the most effective and useful aspects of the course are to come – stick with it!

• Sleepio Member

• 2805 comments
    • 528 helped
    Graduate

You mean the one to ezgeez?
    Yes I think that could have been my problem – I have a habit of waking around 4.30 am and in the past couldn't get back to sleep properly at all which may have been anxiety that I wouldn't (!). Now I am finding that I still wake then quite often but get properly back to sleep for another hour or so.

• Sleepio Member

• 143 comments
    • 25 helped
    Graduate

Hi Dr Kyle, have just been into the 'Sleepio Blog' and registered there. Many thanks.

• Sleepio Member

• 2805 comments
    • 528 helped
    Graduate

I have to go now – thanks Dr Kyle, another great session. Night everyone – sleep well xx

• Sleepio Member

• 680 comments
    • 138 helped
    Graduate

I'm off too – a very vocal cat to feed!!

Thanks Dr Kyle.

And good night to everyone…sleep well! xx

• Sleepio Member

• 143 comments
    • 25 helped
    Graduate

Good night everyone, an interesting session. Sleep tight. Thanks Dr Kyle for this session.

• Sleepio Member

• 874 comments
    • 208 helped
    Graduate

Thanks for your comment and link Dr Kyle I will have a look later , sorry folks I cannot stay, However will be in touch with all soon
    Take care Andyx

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

many thanks for joining folks and for some stimulating discussion. have a good week and 'speak' next time.

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

i want to see the chat.

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I want to join the chat

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

How can I relax myself before going to bed

• Sleepio Member

• 874 comments
    • 208 helped
    Graduate

Hi Dr Kyle I have had my Anti depressants upped however my vivid dreaming has not gone down maybe the tablet is disagreeing with me

have an appointment with my GP on friday will talk to him and see what he says

Thanks for the answers I hope you pick up this reply at some stage.

Return to top