Live Discussion with Dr Simon Kyle - 18th January

Dr Kyle will be hosting a live online discussion here on Wednesday 18th January 7pm-8pm.

He will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour, starting with the most popular questions with answers being given in a way to give the most benefit to the general Community.

To have a say in what questions get answered, either: – post a question or comment ahead of the discussion, by clicking the blue 'Comment' link below this message; or – vote on other people's questions, by clicking the blue 'Yes' button to the right of the relevant comment.

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to 'refresh' this discussion page.

To do this:

- On PC hit 'Ctrl' and 'R' or the 'F5' key
- On Mac hit 'Command' or 'Apple' and 'R'

Posted 16 Jan 2012 at 1:26 PM
  • 101 comments
  • 40 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Expert

Good insight NO. The very important (and interesting thing) is that regardless of how the sleep problem may have developed, it is possible to 'correct it'.

• Sleepio Member

• 682 comments
    • 139 helped
    Graduate

Or how long you've had the sleep problem for!

• Sleepio Member

• 573 comments
    • 218 helped
    Graduate

Sleep restriction. Most people seem to find it really tough, but what I don;t understand is: if your window is the total of your average added up night's sleep, you've already been suffering quite a lot of sleep restriction for years, so why is it so difficult?

• Sleepio Member

• 199 comments
    • 96 helped
    Graduate

thanks Dr Kyle for your time this evening

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

that's right LLO, exactly.

• Sleepio Member

• 573 comments
    • 218 helped
    Graduate

Yippee!

• Sleepio Member

• 573 comments
    • 218 helped
    Graduate

Yes thank you also, it's gone really quickly.

• Sleepio Member

• 682 comments
    • 139 helped
    Graduate

i think it's sticking to the bedtime & wake up times, rather than the amount of sleep…

• Sleepio Member

• 2805 comments
    • 528 helped
    Graduate

It is difficult because you are forcing yourself to take all your sleep at one time – or you don't get it. So for a while you are getting less sleep than normal because you don't stay asleep for your whole window.

• Sleepio Member

• 2805 comments
    • 528 helped
    Graduate

Night everyone. Thanks Dr Kyle.

• Sleepio Member

• 874 comments
    • 210 helped
    Graduate

Agree I find a routine is the best way, find the best routine and stick to it

• Sleepio Member

• 682 comments
    • 139 helped
    Graduate

Thanks Dr Kyle!
    And thanks everyone who commented too!

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

Great question NO – There are many reasons for this. It is likely that you will not have slept right through for years, so when initially restricting time in bed it is highly unlikely that you will experience consolidated sleep straight away. In fact it could take several days or weeks before that is achieved. Your timing of sleep will also change, so it is about strengthening your body clock and sleep pressure over weeks to develop a strong pattern. Other components of the course will also help adress thoughts that can impact sleep or the quality of sleep. The combination is crucial and successful.

• Sleepio Member

• 682 comments
    • 139 helped
    Graduate

I'm a fan of routine too! Much easier to do the mundane daily tasks if you don't actually have to think about them!

• Sleepio Member

• 874 comments
    • 210 helped
    Graduate

GOOD NIGHT ALL and sleep well

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

That's us folks. really enjoyed tonight's session. thanks for joining. see you all next week.

• Sleepio Member

• 682 comments
    • 139 helped
    Graduate

Good night everyone, hope you sleep well!

• Sleepio Member

• 573 comments
    • 218 helped
    Graduate

But I always stuck to sleep times and get up times anyway, and I think most people with insomnia do – there's always hope. For years I went to bed thinking TONIGHT, I think I will sleep!

• Sleepio Member

• 573 comments
    • 218 helped
    Graduate

Thanks Laurel, for explaining how the live sessions work. For a bit I wondered if I was at Waterloo Station, but should have been at Charing Cross.

• Sleepio Member

• 573 comments
    • 218 helped
    Graduate

Are you saying that when you wake up, you find it easy to go back to sleep. Easier than when you go to bed?

Return to top