Live Discussion with Dr Simon Kyle - 18th April

Dr Kyle will be hosting a live online discussion here on Wednesday 18th April 7pm-8pm.

He will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour, starting with the most popular questions with answers being given in a way to give the most benefit to the general Community.

To have a say in what questions get answered, either: – post a question or comment ahead of the discussion, by clicking the blue 'Comment' link below this message; or – vote on other people's questions, by clicking the blue 'Yes' button to the right of the relevant comment.

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to 'refresh' this discussion page.

To do this:

- On PC hit 'Ctrl' and 'R' or the 'F5' key
- On Mac hit 'Command' or 'Apple' and 'R'

Posted 13 Apr 2012 at 7:48 AM
  • 58 comments
  • 14 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 113 comments
    • 48 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Graduate

I second RVW's comment- I have only extended my sleep window when the Prof has said I can. The best results come by following the rules!

• Sleepio Member

• 91 comments
    • 39 helped
    Graduate

Thanks, I'm thinking of investing in a lightbox (or possibly renting one first). Unfortunately my GP did not have any advice to offer regarding sleep other than to offer me Temazepam (not what I wanted as my natural sleep cycle has me asleep easily for 13 hours but at the wrong time of day). My own Medline searches haven't come up with any sort of “how to use” guide for DSPD as opposed to SAD.

• Sleepio Member

• 1196 comments
    • 181 helped
    Graduate

Personally, I was only able to establish a stable new routine by sticking to the rules, and I can admit it was very difficult at times, particularly at the early stages of SR. I took 2 weeks off work at the start of the course and that was invaluable, I don't think I could have done the SR otherwise. I have had so many awful years of sleep I was tenacious in approach but it has been worth the hard work. :)

• Sleepio Member

• 1196 comments
    • 181 helped
    Graduate

This is soo true, we have to go through the pain there is no avoiding it but IT IS WORTH IT!

I do break the rules very occasionally but so far I've always had to pay the price!!!

• Sleepio Member

• 695 comments
    • 308 helped
    Graduate

Have to go now will catch up with any other posts later thanks everyone!

• Sleepio Member

• 1196 comments
    • 181 helped
    Graduate

Night all! Thanks Dr Kyle!

• Sleepio Member

• 18 comments
    • 11 helped
    Graduate

I couldn't agree more. I saw Sleepio as my last chance, having tried practically everything else. I am having great success and at last I feel I have taken charge of the problem. Strict routine is key even though it is very hard to start with, and I feel it is not for ever! The other comments about self regulation after the access to the Prof is finished, are very helpful. Thanks.

• Sleepio Member

• 199 comments
    • 96 helped
    Graduate

I did stick to the rules of SR religiously for 9 weeks and was stable – just not where I needed to be and not making progress. My failure to establish a new and slightly more relaxed routine is at least partly as a result of feelings of failure and consequent loss of willpower and self discipline. I was and still am at a loss to know where to go next.
    I confess to feelings of jealousy to those of you having success. Not that I begrudge you your success!

• Sleepio Member

• 8 comments
    • 4 helped
    Graduate

thanks will try harder night all

• Sleepio Member

• 1196 comments
    • 181 helped
    Graduate

Glad it's getting better for you Tingle! :)

• Sleepio Member

• 1196 comments
    • 181 helped
    Graduate

• Sleepio Member

• 1196 comments
    • 181 helped
    Graduate

• Sleepio Member

• 1196 comments
    • 181 helped
    Graduate

How did I do that!!

• Sleepio Member

• 199 comments
    • 96 helped
    Graduate

very clever – jittery finger? lol

• Sleepio Member

• 1196 comments
    • 181 helped
    Graduate

Chrispy, don't feel disheartened, I shall chat with you in Graduates room sometime, just do what you can, I'm sure things are better than they used to be so build on that :)

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

thanks Chrispy. it is not an 'all or nothing' in terms of improvement and many people we see find componenets useful after several weeks, that they hadn't initially found helpful from the beginning. also, certain components are easier to implement depending on your own context/lifestyle demands, so keep going and return to basics. Expectations are also important; and particualrly if you have had poor sleep for a long time, it can take several weeks/months to establish a new solid sleep pattern as well as a new approach to sleep and poor nights of sleep.

• Sleepio Member

• 199 comments
    • 96 helped
    Graduate

thanks all and good night

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

Thanks for joining guys, that's us for tonight. good luck for the week , sleep well, and 'chat' soon!

• Sleepio Member

• 868 comments
    • 269 helped
    Graduate

I still religiously (or should that be rigourously?) post my sleeping information and visit the Prof. I have no idea if the information will be of use to students research in the future but it maybe takes 10 minutes all told to record and then post onwards within the site , so that I just do it. as a first-thing-on-the-computer habit.

• Sleepio Member

• 868 comments
    • 269 helped
    Graduate

Crispy, you have the knowledge and the tools to return to the procedures that you know work for you at any time. We can jump back on the wagon whenever we want, I reckon.

Return to top