Live Discussion with Dr Simon Kyle - 17th October

Dr Kyle will be hosting a live online discussion here on Wednesday 17th October 7pm-8pm.

He will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour, starting with the most popular questions with answers being given in a way to give the most benefit to the general Community.

To have a say in which questions are answered, either:
+ post a question or comment ahead of the discussion, by clicking the blue ‘Add a comment’ button; or
+ vote on other people’s questions, by clicking the blue ‘Yes’ button underneath the relevant comment.

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to 'refresh' this discussion page.

To do this:

- On PC hit 'Ctrl' and 'R' or the 'F5' key
- On Mac hit 'Command' or 'Apple' and 'R'

Posted 11 Oct 2012 at 1:54 PM
  • 51 comments
  • 7 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Expert

thanks redandgreen. not to worry, you are certainly not alone – things don't always work out as planned but you and others can return to the techniques at a later date, and continue to benefit from the graduates experience (as mentioned by laureloakwood), and you too will be able to provide help for those just starting. In terms of access etc, best to contact Rosie about this.

• Sleepio Member

• 680 comments
    • 138 helped
    Graduate

Graduating from sleepio was like passing my driving test…I was only at the beginning of learning how to sleep !!

• Sleepio Member

• 27 comments
    • 10 helped
    Graduate

Thank you. Can you / someone tell me how to contact Rosie, please?
    Cheers

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

thanks LOW, that is very true. Often the best gains can occur in the weeks after the formal sessions. has anyone else found that pattern?

• Sleepio Member

• 27 comments
    • 10 helped
    Graduate

That's a good comparison. Learning goes on beyond formal lessons, training, etc – and experience brings its own gains. Thanks for that

• Sleepio Member

• 6 comments
    • 3 helped
    Graduate

Thanks – no this is new. Normally it would take me hours to get to sleep and so would still be awake at 3 a.m.! How do you mean by experimenting with my sleep window – do you mean later or earlier to bed???

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

no problem redandgreen. I'll forward on your query and she'll be in touch.

• Sleepio Member

• 14 comments
    • 2 helped
    Session 5

HI Dr Kyle,good evening to everyone,hope you are all well?Im finding it hard to use my cpap,a,lthough trying to persevere,+gradually bring it in to my sleep pattern,the other thing is the sleepio not sure where i should be on this as we discussed that i would wait until i get my mask,wondered if you could help me with that+how i go about it,thanks Sarah

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

thanks Lynnlyn. It sounds like it may just take a few weeks to establish the new pattern. What is your Sleep window currently? this can be common. It might be worth checking you are implementing some of the other techniques in parallel. particularly those that might help you return to sleep during the early hours. and that you are adhering to the times and avoiding daytime napping?

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

hi blondie68, thanks for your post. Unfortunately I'm not so much of an expert in CPAP use, but from speaking to other colleagues I know that teething problems are very common and can take some getting used to. If you feel it is still uncomfortable, I know that the team of health professionals involved in your care will be able to give some guidance/possibly make some modifications to help you integrate it into your nightly sleep schedule. What session are you currently on with the sleepio course?

• Sleepio Member

• 143 comments
    • 25 helped
    Graduate

Thank you Dr Kyle for an interesting session this evening, also all the queries from the community. A very warm welcome to all the new members and keep going with the Sleepio programme. I'll say goodnight now as I'm feeling very tired so hope to be in touch with you soon. Take care and good sleeping.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

many thanks for joining lonepine77.

• Sleepio Member

• 680 comments
    • 138 helped
    Graduate

Good night lonepine77

Sleep well! xx

• Sleepio Member

• 868 comments
    • 269 helped
    Graduate

I certainly continued to improve in my waking in the small hours after graduating.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

thanks Andymoir. These are good points. sticking to the programme is the best way to achieve and sustain gains but, naturally, there will be hurdles that arise from time-to-time that prevent partial or full implementation of the programme. in these circumstance (like illness) it might be worth delaying for a few days and then re-starting at the beginning of the following week

• Sleepio Member

• 14 comments
    • 2 helped
    Session 5

think only session 2 would like to get into a better routine now+try to sleep with it on,i go back to the Glasgow Royal infirmary on the 30th October,thank again.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

thanks blondie68. certainly worth continuing on with the sessions and the next few will help you get into a routine. one of the techniques involves something called sleep restriction (you'll find out more when the Prof tells you) but good to just bear in mind that it might make you a bit more sleepier in the day, but that this is short-term. how long are you sleeping for on average just now?

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

thanks for joining tonight, folks. Take care, have a good week and speak next time.

• Sleepio Member

• 680 comments
    • 138 helped
    Graduate

Good night evryone, sleep well xx

• Sleepio Member

• 27 comments
    • 10 helped
    Graduate

Thank you Dr Kyle, Rose has been in touch and answered my query

Return to top