Live Discussion with Dr Simon Kyle - 16th November

Dr Simon Kyle will be hosting a live online discussion here on Wednesday 16th November 7pm-8pm.

He will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour, starting with the most popular questions. Answers will be given in a general way to give the most benefit to the general Community.

To have a say in what questions get answered, either: – post a question or comment ahead of the discussion, by clicking the blue 'Comment' link below this message; or – vote on other people's questions, by clicking the blue 'Yes' button to the right of the relevant comment.

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to 'refresh' this discussion page.

To do this:

- On PC hit 'Ctrl' and 'R' or the 'F5' key
- On Mac hit 'Command' or 'Apple' and 'R'

Posted 14 Nov 2011 at 10:55 AM
  • 57 comments
  • 4 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 1196 comments
    • 181 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Graduate

I didn't. I find it quite difficult to keep busy before the wind down time and feel that I should be active all the time. Sometimes very tired after work and just want to relax before then, but try to keep going. If you start relaxing too early will this make good sleep less likely?

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

That's right RVW some recent research showing improvements in sleep, through exercise, in those with chronic sleep problems… just make sure it's not too close to bedtime!

• Sleepio Member

• 1196 comments
    • 181 helped
    Graduate

I don't have a partner, only have my daughters hamster living with me. He has trouble sleeping at night!!!

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

RVW: have you tried cage restriction therapy?

• Sleepio Member

• 1196 comments
    • 181 helped
    Graduate

LOL!!!

• Sleepio Member

• 1196 comments
    • 181 helped
    Graduate

Well Dr Kyle, I think everyone has gone to bed early! I shall give them a good talking to on 'how did you sleep last night' tomorrow morning! THE forum to be seen on! Thank you very much for all your help!

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

Hi Vero, great question. Perhaps you are tired but not sleepy, so there might be some pressure to sleep but that final 'sleepiness feeling' (like you're about to nod-off) is absent, could mean that your body clock is not saying 'this is the time Vero'. As the Prof suggests, perhaps experiment with your window to see if you can improve things…. and get that nodding off sensation, which is different from being 'tired'.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

many thanks RVW!

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

So that's us for tonight folks, thanks for joining and look forward to (sleep) chatting next week! Stay positive and sleep efficient.

• Sleepio Member

• 840 comments
    • 172 helped
    Graduate

HI RVW, I am with you on the remonstration…there are so many newbies on here who ask questions and tell us how bad their sleep is and then when they are given the opportunity to discuss with an expert..where are they. I know I forgot until too late but then I didnt have any questions this time and will happily read everyone elses as there are some interesting points. It was the same last time…maybe weekly is just too much for them although I hope not a complete waste of time for Dr Kyle.

• Sleepio Member

• 1061 comments
    • 204 helped
    Graduate

Have just come in and thought I would pick up on the interesting conversation tonight. Not much activity tonight. Maybe everyone was asleep…zzzzzzzzzz
    Maybe it would be an idea to have a more structured discussion around one or two specific topics. Such a shame. Wednesday is not a good night for me.

• Sleepio Member

• 868 comments
    • 269 helped
    Graduate

I'm sorry to have missed this session. I posted a question before hand about times of feeling sleepy and feel it was only partially answered. I am fascinated about the maintenance of wakefulness zone and the times I would feel tired but not yet nodding off.

But… I've had such an active day that I forgot all about this important conversation with Dr. Simon. I fell asleep at 7 and didn't wake until 8. This counts as a very late nap and will of course affect my sleep pattern tonight.
    Shameful or what??

I would have been helped by another email about 6 to remind me what was on offer. I guess I need to be spoon fed. Apologies for not being able to participate. I feel I missed out on a great opportunity to find out more about the maintenance of wakefulness zone and how it affects me. Drat!

• Sleepio Member

• 868 comments
    • 269 helped
    Graduate

What was Vero's question please?

• Sleepio Member

• 278 comments
    • 55 helped
    Graduate

hi sleepyhead, i have had a look at the food hospital channel 4 website, it gives more details of the cherry juice/warm milk trial. Here's the web address if you want to have a look…
    www.foodhospital.channel4.com
    best wishes michelle

• Sleepio Member

• 11 comments
    • 5 helped
    Session 4

Agreed – a reminder email before the chat would be wonderful. I wanted to be here but forgot (and went to bed early!)

Unfortunately, with sleep problems also comes memory issues. I would love to learn a little about fibromyalgia, and I started using a CPAP machine almost four months ago. They're not sure if I have fibromyalgia or not, now. My sleep doctor said that I can expect more improvements, even after my 3 month check-up. I have had years of sleep deprivation. I thought I'd be at 100% after three months! I would like to learn more from Dr. Kyle, but it's hard to formulate questions.

Suella… do you have CFS? Your name looks familiar from Bruce Campbell's class, maybe? :)

• Sleepio Member

• 868 comments
    • 269 helped
    Graduate

Hi Kris,
    Nice to hear from you.Yes. CFS but not Fibro. The first thing I was told by health professionals is that I needed to sort out my unhealthy sleep patterns. I would get up whenever if I was awake and use the computer rather than stay in bed and try to sleep again.

I bought a portable CD player and I still use it often. Sometimes if I wake int he middle of the night it is very useful to get myself back to sleep. I use Bruce's CDs fairly often and it seems to help remind me of all the good strategies I need to be using.

We can ongratulate us both on finding another place to improve our health-giving strategies, eh?

• Sleepio Member

• 11 comments
    • 5 helped
    Session 4

Ah, it's Heather. Brain fog, heh. You are quite motivated to improve your health, and I'm glad for you. I've been alternately wanting to stay away from the Internet to try to use my time in other ways and then feeling the need for support and information, too. It's a hard balance for me. Technology is a big help but also a curse. I had to take a break from the CFS/Fibro courses because I need to reign in the number of emails I get. This is something I've been fully unsuccessful at in the past. LOL!

There is much I WANT to do online, but it all requires my attention and energy. Work takes up most of my energy. It's a real tug-of-war. I remember when I was a kid and days just seemed to go on forever. Now they go by so quickly and I feel less accomplished.

I had some questions for the Prof. They were good ones, but I forgot to write them down. Before the next session, I hope to get something coherent together to ask. I had a visit to my sleep doctor that really helped. Ah-- I do remember one of the questions…

I wanted to ask about what I can do to help myself when I have to wake up at 5am in order to go to work. My sleep doc said that I can't expect to wake up feeling refreshed at such an early hour. She did suggest some gentle yoga and trying to lay clothes out the night before… Any and all suggestions would be wonderful and I'd be glad to hear from anyone in the community. I guess I kinda thought that if you got 8 hours of sleep, you would feel good no matter what time you got up!

And another – What should my expectations be? What exactly does “good sleep” feel like? I've apparently had sleep apnea and maybe fibromyalgia for years, and am in my 4th month of apnea treatment.

I guess I'd like to know what upper airway resistance is and how to manage that and nighttime congestion/allergies/post-nasal drip. It feels like a lot of factors are working against me getting decent sleep.

Well, so much for not knowing what to ask. LOL! Maybe I can get one question answered per session. Will keep a list. :)

• Sleepio Member

• 868 comments
    • 269 helped
    Graduate

Hi Heather,

Very sensible to have everything, and I do mean everything you can ready to go for the next day organized and laid out the night before. Clothes, lunch, money, r keys, briefcase or whatever you need to take to work, gas/petrol for the car, breakfast etc etc. Then you won't have to think about anything at night and can get up and cruise thought the first half hour or hour or so because everything is taken care of. Like having valet or ladies maid, personal assistant of mother to sort you out.

If you feel less accomplished when your days are really full, maybe you want to jot down a few notes of what you have actually done. I call my notes Congratulations and Gratitudes as I remember all the positive and good things that happened that day. This too I feel can help me to sleep better, as it puts me in a positive frame of mind.

Are you still doing the CFIDS course? It doesn't really delve into sleep in any depth as a vital part of our healing if I am remembering correctly. Sleep was the first thing that I was told to address when I was diagnosed, and I'm revisiting the hows and wherefores. I find this course and the protocol really helpful. Some completely new and useful ideas to me…

Cheers!

• Sleepio Member

• 11 comments
    • 5 helped
    Session 4

I'm always applying the principles of Bruce's course, though I'm not actively goal-setting. Thank goodness for pacing and rest. Experimentation has been helpful, too. Bruce's course really helped me to “know myself and to know my body.” It's made life more predictable.

I really think sleep is at the core of our issues. I think once they figure out what's up with sleep -- is pain disturbing sleep, is our brain kinda “badly wired” -- then it will really be helpful for those of us with CFS and fibro.

I still don't know where I stand re: do I have sleep apnea AND fibro or just the apnea. Doc says my body has been sleep deprived for so long that it will take awhile for my body to re-adjust. I'm feeling much better than I was before, at least! :) So, whatever the outcome is, it's better than I was before getting sleep apnea treatment!

• Sleepio Member

• 868 comments
    • 269 helped
    Graduate

Sounds positive Heather! Good for you to be able to keep up with all your pacing and targets without the benefits of the group discussions. I still need them as I gain a lot of new perspectives on how to manage my behavior to be healthier.

I don't have your complications but I certainly agree that good sleep is the core of our improving.

Return to top