Live Discussion with Dr Simon Kyle - 16th May

Dr Kyle will be hosting a live online discussion here on Wednesday 16th May 7pm-8pm.

He will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour, starting with the most popular questions with answers being given in a way to give the most benefit to the general Community.

To have a say in which questions are answered, either:
– post a question or comment ahead of the discussion, by clicking the blue ‘Add a comment’ button; or
– vote on other people’s questions, by clicking the blue ‘Yes’ button underneath the relevant comment.

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to ‘refresh’ this discussion page.

To do this:

- On PC hit ‘Ctrl’ and ‘R’ or the ‘F5’ key – On Mac hit ‘Command’ or ‘Apple’ and ‘R’

Posted 10 May 2012 at 1:41 PM
  • 62 comments
  • 14 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Expert

Thanks for your interest folks. We have several research studies taking place. One ongoing strand is to understand how CBT-based treatments work, (how do they bring about improvements in sleep) and can we improve/refine them.

• Sleepio Member

• 680 comments
    • 138 helped
    Graduate

That sounds really interesting & useful…will it feedback in to sleepio's CBT course?

• Sleepio Member

• 874 comments
    • 208 helped
    Graduate

Sorry guys I have to run take care all and rest well, thanks for all Dr Kyle

Night all….............Andy

• Sleepio Member

• 680 comments
    • 138 helped
    Graduate

goodnight Andy…sleep well! xx

• Sleepio Member

• 695 comments
    • 308 helped
    Graduate

night Andy – sleep well!

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

Thanks LLW. we hope to be able to update the community with any new research and scientific developments in the future. Most of our work to date has been with a view to improving clinical assessment and treatment of poor sleep.

• Sleepio Member

• 17 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

Thank you, Goldie. Well I do Soduku and dose off. Read and dose off. Outside not a good option because of all the rain we've been having although it is a very good idea. Think my wind down for bed overtakes me too quickly.

• Sleepio Member

• 695 comments
    • 308 helped
    Graduate

sorry if I am being a bit dense I am trying to understand what happens if I only sleep in one hour bursts through out the night. so the distribution of sleep is on average:

Wakefulness (5%)
    Stage 1 (2-5%)
    Stage 2 (45-55%)
    Stage 3 (3-8%) [SWS]
    Stage 4 (10-15%) [SWS]
    REM sleep (20-25%)
    and sleep goes in around 90 minute cycles do I start again with stage 1 every time I get back to sleep and so I ever get to rem sleep? Or would I have to be measured in a lab to find out. – yes I took a peek at the articles – for which many thanks.

• Sleepio Member

• 680 comments
    • 138 helped
    Graduate

As i understand it…you can kind of skip stages when you're very sleep deprived so you end up getting the more beneficial stages…that's what i understood after reading the articles I think…

• Sleepio Member

• 695 comments
    • 308 helped
    Graduate

you are going to have to do these things standing up!! I do put my rain gear on and go out. maybe others have tips too. I have also been known to pace the floor just to keep moving even though I am desperately tired.

• Sleepio Member

• 680 comments
    • 138 helped
    Graduate

The summer evenings do help, being so much lighter so much later on…

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

Thanks Goldie, it is very hard to tell without recordings. Remember these are just averages, and will vary between persons and within-persons (night to night variability). You can quickly pass through stages and this will differ on what time of the night it is (i.e. quickly into deep sleep at the start of the night and more quickly into REM sleep if going back to sleep in the last third of the night). But your general point is correct: that awakenings can disturb the cycling through sleep stages and composition of sleep (time spent in certain stages of sleep). It is normal to have several very small awakenings during the night, even for very good sleepers. The best measure is really how you feel on awakening – e.g. restored by sleep.

• Sleepio Member

• 695 comments
    • 308 helped
    Graduate

gotcha – thanks – I am so much better at coping with short awakenings these days anyway and I don't have to do QHR as often as I did. I have this yearning for deep sleep and have seldom remembered dreams although my partner used to wake me when I had nightmares – and that seldom happens post Sleepio.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

many thanks RubyTuesday for your comments. Certainly the dozing off prior to sleep will weaken sleep pressure for when you enter sleep (depending on how long you dozed for). Have you tried manipulating your sleep window. perhaps entering sleep earlier would leave you feeling more refreshed on awakening? this would mean advancing your sleep window ever so slightly, initially.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

Thanks for joining guys! that's us for tonight. Have a good week, sleep well and 'chat' next Wed.

• Sleepio Member

• 17 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

Thank you Dr Kyle, for your reply. I think this is what I have to try because it has been the same story since the second week of the programme.

• Sleepio Member

• 137 comments
    • 39 helped
    Graduate

Goodnight Dr Kyle. Thank you. Sleep well all.

• Sleepio Member

• 680 comments
    • 138 helped
    Graduate

Thanks Dr Kyle…goodnight all…sleep well! xx

• Sleepio Member

• 695 comments
    • 308 helped
    Graduate

goodnight all sleep well and Ruby Tuesday do come in on some more discussions to see if there is anything else that might help – like more relaxation or flat rests during the day.

• Sleepio Member

• 287 comments
    • 68 helped
    Graduate

Well done Gillian, and good for you! :-)
    Keep up the good work and you'll continue to increase your chances of sleeping better.

My very best wishes to you in feeling so good more often after sleep,

kind regards,

Henry

:-)

Return to top