Live Discussion with Dr Simon Kyle - 15th February

Dr Kyle will be hosting a live online discussion here on Wednesday 15th February 7pm-8pm.

He will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour, starting with the most popular questions with answers being given in a way to give the most benefit to the general Community.

To have a say in what questions get answered, either: – post a question or comment ahead of the discussion, by clicking the blue 'Comment' link below this message; or – vote on other people's questions, by clicking the blue 'Yes' button to the right of the relevant comment.

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to 'refresh' this discussion page.

To do this:

- On PC hit 'Ctrl' and 'R' or the 'F5' key
- On Mac hit 'Command' or 'Apple' and 'R'

Posted 13 Feb 2012 at 6:48 PM
  • 103 comments
  • 34 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 199 comments
    • 96 helped
    Graduate

Oh dear Nightowl!
    Have you ben able to extend your sleep window yet?
    Perhaps a controlled time limited nap (in bed to maintain the link?) during the day would be the lesser of 2 evils?

• Sleepio Member

• 113 comments
    • 48 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Graduate

Is it reasonable to suggest that low GI foods (that result in blood sugar levels that are more sustained, as opposed to foods that release sugar quickly, resulting in big swings in blood sugar) are less disruptive to sleep?

• Sleepio Member

• 44 comments
    • 16 helped
    Graduate

Sorry for lateness, just got back from my class at the gym. I'm like you – over a period of time it seems tiredness builds up till I feel exhausted all day and fall asleep if I sit down. I've taken an executive decision, and when it gets so bad I take a Nytol, take myself off to bed at whatever timer I start to fall asleep, and stay in bed until I wake up properly. This seems to 'fill up my sleep tank' for 2 or 3 weeks and I can apply Sleepio principles from the following night again.

• Sleepio Member

• 695 comments
    • 308 helped
    Graduate

It doesn't mention sugar specifically I am interested to know of any research into sugar consumption and sleep or lack of it. I suspect a stong relationship for me.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

oops sorry ummpeter. you will be able to access after session 2.

• Sleepio Member

• 87 comments
    • 47 helped
    Graduate

Just thinking about daytime sleeping. I've heard it said that it doesn't matter when you get your eight hours. Is there any evidence to back this assertion up?

• Sleepio Member

• 87 comments
    • 47 helped
    Graduate

Great thought tiredeyes.

• Sleepio Member

• 573 comments
    • 218 helped
    Graduate

Thanks for that tiredout. At times, I feel as though I've overdone the whole thing to worsening effect.

• Sleepio Member

• 87 comments
    • 47 helped
    Graduate

I just Googled 'sugar and sleeplessness' and it returned 21,000,000 results. i can see i shall be at the computer for the next week ploughing through all this research

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

Great point Goldie and we'll upate this soon. There is no clear systematic research on the recommended dose: some reports suggest that sugar can initially increase tension (which may disrupt sleep) but then lead to greater tiredness afterwards.we will update the blog with the latest research evidence very soon.

• Sleepio Member

• 695 comments
    • 308 helped
    Graduate

Is it the case that all the new comments are emailed to my email as well as being available on screen? my inbox is showing masses of them. Is there a way to turn this off?

• Sleepio Member

• 113 comments
    • 48 helped
    Graduate

Good luck – I look forward to your summary!

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

Ok, that's us everyone. many thanks for joining. For those who are just starting the course, good luck for the forthcoming week, and I look forward to talking again with you all next week.

• Sleepio Member

• 695 comments
    • 308 helped
    Graduate

thanks I appreciate your updating the research on sugar.

• Sleepio Member

• 199 comments
    • 96 helped
    Graduate

goodnight and thanks

• Sleepio Member

• 95 comments
    • 41 helped
    Graduate

Goodnight everyone…...

• Sleepio Member

• 87 comments
    • 47 helped
    Graduate

many thanks

• Sleepio Member

• 58 comments
    • 31 helped
    Graduate

Thank you Dr. Kyle, see you next week.

• Sleepio Member

• 416 comments
    • 62 helped
    Graduate

Hi Goldie – to turn off emails from the Community you need to go to the 'My Account' page via the blue button in the top right-hand corner.

Scroll down to the 'Reminder Settings' section and untick the box next to 'Community', scroll down further and hit the blue 'save' button to save these changes.

• Sleepio Member

• 695 comments
    • 308 helped
    Graduate

Thanks Rosie – much appreciated

Return to top