Live Discussion with Dr Simon Kyle - 15th August

Dr Kyle will be hosting a live online discussion here on Wednesday 15th August 7pm-8pm.

He will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour, starting with the most popular questions with answers being given in a way to give the most benefit to the general Community.

To have a say in which questions are answered, either:
+ post a question or comment ahead of the discussion, by clicking the blue ‘Add a comment’ button; or
+ vote on other people’s questions, by clicking the blue ‘Yes’ button underneath the relevant comment.

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to 'refresh' this discussion page.

To do this:

- On PC hit 'Ctrl' and 'R' or the 'F5' key
- On Mac hit 'Command' or 'Apple' and 'R'

Posted 9 Aug 2012 at 3:04 PM
  • 40 comments
  • 5 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 2805 comments
    • 528 helped
    Graduate

Hi everyone sorry I'm late

• Sleepio Member

• 1196 comments
    • 181 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Graduate

But if I crack that then I will be a perfect sleeper!!!

• Sleepio Member

• 1196 comments
    • 181 helped
    Graduate

Hello birdy people!

• Sleepio Member

• 2805 comments
    • 528 helped
    Graduate

Haha! A PERFECT sleeper? YOu must be doing well rvw

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

thanks RVW. Good question, and very very common! do you find it is a particular type of event? For example, I often have trouble sleeping when I need to give a talk the next day. you will know the techniques but it's good to refresh: prepare sufficiently in advance for what you must do the next day (put the day to rest, safe in the knowledge that you and your brain can't do anymore!), only go to bed when sleepy tired to avoid lapsing into thoughts about the next-day event, practice thought-blocking, and relaxation. importantly for acute 'stress/arousal' you need to mentally deal with what it is that you need to do the next day. are there some things more than others that are likely to lead to poor sleep?

• Sleepio Member

• 1196 comments
    • 181 helped
    Graduate

Yes I am doing well NJ, it seems the only time I don' t sleep well is when I REALLY need to! For example, tomorrow I'm going walking with some fit people, I must sleep, I must!

• Sleepio Member

• 1196 comments
    • 181 helped
    Graduate

Thanks Peter, yes I do need to revisit some of the techniques! There is no common theme though, only events that are important to me. Sometimes this will be events like work things where I need to perform well, or social events where I want to enjoy them without feeling exhausted!

• Sleepio Member

• 143 comments
    • 25 helped
    Graduate

Many thanks for your reply Dr Kyle. When I wake in the night I first try to settle back to sleep and when I can't, I tend then to get up and go downstairs to start the wake up/wind down technique until I'm sleepy enough to go back to bed. Sometimes it's when I'm up and I find I'm unable to keep my legs still that I think my RLS is back as I'm unable to concentrate on anything, TV, reading. I then have to stand still and leaning on a worktop in the kitchen move my feet up and down as quickly as I can to keep pace with the RLS. After about a good 10mins I find it's eased off and I can go back to bed. Since starting with Sleepio I'm wondering if it could be RLS that disturbs my sleep initially but I haven't recognised it as such. So it might be a 'yes' to both your questions.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

thanks lonepine. it might be worth metnioning the RLS symtpoms to your GP, because it could be easily rectified. it's also hard to tell (without a formal objective sleep study) the extent to which PLMs (that can occur in relation to RLS) are disturbing your sleep, often people are not aware whatsoever. often people can suffer dutring the day, unaware that their sleep was fragemented during the night, through brief awakenings.

• Sleepio Member

• 2805 comments
    • 528 helped
    Graduate

That was a great reply Dr Kyle – I always assume that I will sleep badly in that situation and just put up with it! I will try your recommendations next time.

• Sleepio Member

• 143 comments
    • 25 helped
    Graduate

I'll say good night to you all as I want to finish tidying up the kitchen and have some quality time before I go to bed. Sleep well and take care. Many thanks for your expert advice this evening Dr Kyle.

• Sleepio Member

• 2805 comments
    • 528 helped
    Graduate

Night Lonepine – sleep well
    I am off too – good night everyone and thanks Dr Kyle

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

many thanks for joining lonepine77 and nightjar

• Sleepio Member

• 287 comments
    • 68 helped
    Graduate

Sorry Doctor, I was just going to listen in and been around as I'm feeling a bit 'spaced out' emotionally depressed and generally rough with side-effects, following two weeks of taking Amitriptyline (10mg per night) to treat chronic neck and head pain (I stopped taking them six days ago) possibly causing my sleep quality to be very poor.

I'm thinking that I need to wait until it is out of my system before trying anything else from my GP. (My one problem presently, is that my very good GP is away until September since early last week, and the other GP at the practice is a very poor listener indeed, and consistantly rushes to prescribe meds. So I'm not sure what to do for the best this week yet this week. And also, I want to be as fit and ready for a college course in five weeks from now, as I've decided that I'd like to train as a Sports Massage Therapist, about which I am excited, but was already a little anxious about, and now this…
    I'm aware that I'm being somewhat passive and unspacific around a question for you here, but do you have any suggestions at all which might help where I'm 'coming from' please?

• Sleepio Member

• 287 comments
    • 68 helped
    Graduate

I've just seen the time, and how long it took me to write that message Doctor, so I don't expect a reply,

thank you, best wishes,

Henry

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

thanks Henry. the best thing I can recommend is that if you are finding the side-effects impairing, write down their impact (like you describe) and take this into your GP, that way, at least, he/she will know that you are serious. This will increase the likelihood of them listening to your problem, and you won;t forget anything in a rush/or when nervous, perhaps leading to a change in dose/medication. Always consult with your GP/doctor though if you would like to change anything to do with medication and they will provide the best advice.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

thanks for joining tonight folks. look forward to speaking next time! have a nice week!

• Sleepio Member

• 287 comments
    • 68 helped
    Graduate

Bye folks, and sleep well! :-)

• Sleepio Member

• 287 comments
    • 68 helped
    Graduate

Thanks Dr. Kyle, and I will do that.
    Best wishes, Henry

• Sleepio Member

• 868 comments
    • 269 helped
    Graduate

Thank you Dr. Kyle. That was helpful. I may nap briefly when returning from doing the horses but it will usually before 8. I then sleep before 11:30 nearly always.

And I rarely take even 5 minutes to fall asleep. But I'll bet if I logged my rare evening naps they would be inked to a later bedtime. Thanks for facilitating that perception.

Sorry I didn't respond immediately but at present the evening sessions are when we are either in the garden or up doing the horses. I'll be a better attendee when the nights draw in.

Return to top