Live Discussion with Dr Simon Kyle - 14th November

Dr Kyle will be hosting a live online discussion here on Wednesday 14th November 7pm-8pm.

He will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour, starting with the most popular questions with answers being given in a way to give the most benefit to the general Community.

To have a say in which questions are answered, either:
+ post a question or comment ahead of the discussion, by clicking the blue ‘Add a comment’ button; or
+ vote on other people’s questions, by clicking the blue ‘Yes’ button underneath the relevant comment.

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to 'refresh' this discussion page.

To do this:

- On PC hit 'Ctrl' and 'R' or the 'F5' key
- On Mac hit 'Command' or 'Apple' and 'R'

Posted 11 Nov 2012 at 11:01 AM
  • 57 comments
  • 10 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 143 comments
    • 25 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Graduate

Hi laureloakwood, many thanks for your positive and helpful comments which have made me realise again how fortunate I am in being part of the Sleepio community and the weekly Expert sessions we have.

• Sleepio Member

• 17 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

Thanks Dr Kyle. I really hope this course helps, I've tried so many different approaches and I'm still jerking myself out of sleep several times a night.

• Sleepio Member

• 21 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Indeed- I'm hoping for a healthy spell so I can really tackle the sr!

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

thanks paulhuntdeol. Great you are finding some benefits already. SR is still to be introduced so I don't want to jump in front of the prof (he might not be happy!), but often SR can be very powerful in squeezing out any excessive wakefulness and consolidating sleep into a block. Best then to do is to go through the session (3), then after that read the accompanying articles which will be available. Implementation of SR alongside other CBT-based techniques can be very helpful.

• Sleepio Member

• 98 comments
    • 30 helped
    Graduate

...sorry just one more…can you explain how the hours are set for the sleep schedule? – mine runs from 11 to 6 but I am not sure where this came from?

• Sleepio Member

• 143 comments
    • 25 helped
    Graduate

Hi paulhuntdeol, these weekly sessions are for our benefit so go ahead and ask as many questions as you want. I'm finding them very interesting. As you progress with Sleepio many of your queries will be answered for you. Good luck.

• Sleepio Member

• 98 comments
    • 30 helped
    Graduate

OK – will wait on session 3. I can see the benefit on pacing these changes. Thanks.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

thanks val – is it your whole body that jerks? or is it more your legs?

• Sleepio Member

• 682 comments
    • 139 helped
    Graduate

Aw thanks LP77 :-*)

We are a lovely and supportive bunch & I'm so glad I found sleepio!

• Sleepio Member

• 682 comments
    • 139 helped
    Graduate

Hope you have a healthy spell soon! Not that SR is fun & games, but so you can really start to see the benefits!

• Sleepio Member

• 98 comments
    • 30 helped
    Graduate

On the subject of sleep cycles – I understand they can vary from 90-120 mins but is the variation between individuals or dos it vary within one person depending on lifestyle factors – I don't want to get too far ahead on the sleep restriction work, but is it partly designed to identify your own cycle?

• Sleepio Member

• 17 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

Nothing in my legs. I fall asleep quickly and 2 minutes later I feel I'm being dragged unwilingly out of sleep and I wake with my heart pounding. This can happen several times a night and it's exhausting!

• Sleepio Member

• 21 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Feeling much better so bring on the sr! Your encouragement is much appreciated!!

• Sleepio Member

• 682 comments
    • 139 helped
    Graduate

Right I need to go & feed a hungry & insistent cat!!

Sleep well everyone xxxx

• Sleepio Member

• 17 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

It's hard not to feel anxious at bedtime, a bit like getting on a roller coaster, waiting for the adrenalin rush.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

thanks paulhuntdeol – sleep cycles vary between and within individuals. And can be affected by a number of factors. all of the techniques at sleepio aim to improve sleep quality, time to fall asleep, wakefulness during the night and daytime functioning. SR may improve/correct the timing and distribution of sleep cycles. But there is no strong evidence that it works through this mechanism. CBT has, however, been shown to alter objective aspects of sleep that then relate to subjective improvements.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

thanks all for joining tonight. take care, have a good week and speak next time.

• Sleepio Member

• 98 comments
    • 30 helped
    Graduate

Thanks Dr Kyle – Greatly appreciated.

• Sleepio Member

• 21 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Night everyone

• Sleepio Member

• 167 comments
    • 41 helped
    Graduate

Hi Laurel, thanks for support. Unfortunately, my sleep is mainly fair, and I don't wake refreshed. However, I am getting off to sleep more easily at night, owing to a later bedtime with SR. Not being able to get to sleep at night was my worst problem, so I think I will just have to put up with early waking and hope that things will improve. I suppose it's because I have graduated, there are no new techniques to encourage me. I will just have to revisit parts of the course and the library articles, and carry on. If I could get 6 hours sleep, i would be satisfied!

Return to top