Live Discussion with Dr Simon Kyle - 13th March

Dr Kyle will be hosting a live online discussion here on Wednesday 13th March 7pm-8pm (GMT).

He will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour, starting with the most popular questions with answers being given in a way to give the most benefit to the general Community.

To have a say in which questions are answered, either:
+ post a question or comment ahead of the discussion, by clicking the blue ‘Add a comment’ button; or
+ vote on other people’s questions, by clicking the blue ‘Yes’ button underneath the relevant comment.

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to 'refresh' this discussion page.

To do this:

- On PC hit 'Ctrl' and 'R' or the 'F5' key
- On Mac hit 'Command' or 'Apple' and 'R'

Posted 12 Mar 2013 at 9:35 AM
  • 44 comments
  • 13 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 682 comments
    • 139 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Graduate

Hi there,
    As you're only on session 1, you won't have dealt with the different relaxation/ wind down techniques yet. For now, just try to take things easy & don;t expect a quick fix! It does take a big commitment to change your sleeping patterns, but I think it's well worth the effort!

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Dr. Kyle,
    Most interested in understanding how to get thoughts out of my mind. When I wake up during the night, my “to do” list keeps repeating in my head and I can’t seem to get back to sleep. Part of this seems anxiety related as to how I’m going to meet the challenges largely at work the next day. Thanks.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

hi damopest, since you have been on them for a short time, then the likelihood of developing tolerance is probably very low (and therefore rebound or withdrawal effects would be limited). however, we would always advise that you consult with your doctor when abruptly ceasing any prescribed medication.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

Hi roger38, thanks for your post. Certainly as we get older, slightly shortened sleep, reduced slow wave (or deep) sleep and more interrupted sleep is common (and not abnormal). The Sleepio techniques will help give you the best chance of improving sleep quality and how you feel and function during the day. I see you are still only on session 5, and in my experience continued implementation of strategies beyond 6 weeks can help achieve the best gains. have you found any improvements so far?

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

Hi Roast – great points! certainly you are right, sleepio techniques should become skills and used when needed in the future. They will help maintain good sleep. There will always be some of us who are more likely than others to experience sleep disturbance but CBT-based methods can help us limit the length and impact of poor sleep and return normal sleep ASAP. See this article on CBT for insomnia:

Does CBT for poor sleep really work?

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

hi judyj – great point. we try and encourage people to give a rough guess of wakefulness during the night. as you say, we don't want to create any additional arousal or mental activity through clock-watching.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

evening LOW.

• Sleepio Member

• 12 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Thank for finding the time to answer my question most helpful

• Sleepio Member

• 682 comments
    • 139 helped
    Graduate

Lots of questions…but no-one seems to be around!!

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

thanks cb2912 – this is very commonly reported by poor sleepers. The sleepio course will aim to consolidate sleep (remove wakenings during the night), empty the mind (to prevent racing thoughts, or emotional worries) and reduce night-to-night variability in when sleep occurs. over the next sleepio sessions you will learn these techniques. It is certainly possible to address and possible remove these experiences you describe that interrupt and disturb sleep. the graduates of sleepio will attest to that. it can take hard work over the next weeks and months but definitely possible. hope this helps.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

you're right LOW
    anyone got a particular topic they would like to discuss? or want some personal experiences from sleepio graduates?

• Sleepio Member

• 215 comments
    • 35 helped
    Graduate

Hi Dr Kyle

My poor sleep has meant a period of not sharing a bed with my partner and I get the feeling this may continue when I start sleep restriction next week. Should I just concentrate on sorting out my sleep first and then return gradually to sharing a bed, or should I try to work it in to Sleepio as I go?

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

great question – Polly Sleep. I've certainly spoke to many people who adopted the same approach as you suggest. Especially during SR / QHR where you might be concerned about disturbing your partner. IT is always best to discuss this with your partner, to see what is possible. We've found over the years that having a supportive partner can be important when implementing some of the strategies (sometimes they can learn too!). can anyone else contribute their experiences on this issue?

• Sleepio Member

• 682 comments
    • 139 helped
    Graduate

Hi there Polly,
    When I started sleepio, I remember a few people saying they were sleeping separately from their partners. If it's working for you & you are both fine with it, then there;s nothing wrong with continuing during sleep restriction.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

That's us for tonight folks, thanks for joining and have a good week!

• Sleepio Member

• 682 comments
    • 139 helped
    In reply to a deleted comment
    Graduate

Hi Valey,
    My sleep used to be really awful, but I'd suffered for so long I'd got used to it & was coping with work & day-to-day things. It wasn't til I'd really improved my sleep that I realised what I'd been missing all those years!!
    I think you'll find your energy returns when you've started to improve your sleep patterns.. Meanwhile I know that exercise can help you to relax & get to sleep at night as well as improving sleep quality. Just do what you feel able to, even if it's just going for a walk every day (just make sure it's not too close to bedtime!).

• Sleepio Member

• 682 comments
    • 139 helped
    Graduate

Rats, my computer had a fit during my last anwser!!

Good night everyone, sleep wel!

Thank you Dr Kyle!

• Sleepio Member

• 5 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Hi Polly Sleep. When I slept separately from my partner (turned into a year or so) I always feared that any improvements I made from sleeping separately would be undermined when I returned to sleeping together. This was always hanging over me as neither of us wanted to sleep apart permanently. My view is that it's preferable to be in your own bed rather than the spare room or whatever as your bed is where you want to learn to sleep again. During a period of quite bad sleep on my own I decided to bite the bullet and return to my proper bed. I did this with zero expectations and was anxious at first. Yes there have been difficult nights and once or twice I've decamped to the spare room again but overall it's definitely been the right decision and one less thing to agonise over! My partner is very supportive. Anyone who doesn't have issues with sleep usually just turns over and goes back to sleep if they're disturbed. Just a few thoughts from my experience ….

• Sleepio Member

• 215 comments
    • 35 helped
    Graduate

Thanks Redrobin for you thoughts. My problem is I get so used to sleeping alone, and my partner snores and can be restless, so I get very reactive to that and then anxious that this will be yet another factor in my not sleeping well. Torn between wanting the peace of sleeping alone (and I am in the 'proper' bed) and missing the comfort and the company of sleeping together.

• Sleepio Member

• 5 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

This is exactly the issue I had and when I was sleeping well on my own we both decided good sleep was more important than sleeping together (although bemoaning that it had to be that way!). I still believe that but it started not to work for me. It's very easy to get locked into snoring/ fear of snoring etc which adds to the anxiety; I use ear plugs if I think that's going to happen or if I wake up in the middle of the night and snoring is underway!

Return to top