Live Discussion with Dr Simon Kyle - 13th June

Dr Kyle will be hosting a live online discussion here on Wednesday 13th June 6.30pm-7.30pm.

He will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour, starting with the most popular questions with answers being given in a way to give the most benefit to the general Community.

To have a say in which questions are answered, either:
+ post a question or comment ahead of the discussion, by clicking the blue ‘Add a comment’ button; or
+ vote on other people’s questions, by clicking the blue ‘Yes’ button underneath the relevant comment.

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to ‘refresh’ this discussion page.

To do this:
+ On PC hit ‘Ctrl’ and ‘R’ or the ‘F5’ key
+ On Mac hit ‘Command’ or ‘Apple’ and ‘R’

Posted 11 Jun 2012 at 10:51 AM
  • 30 comments
  • 9 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 278 comments
    • 55 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Graduate

Thanks Dr Kyle ;)

• Sleepio Member

• 1061 comments
    • 204 helped
    Graduate

Tonightsthenight – you are absolutely right. After we graduate we do become complacent and many times I have had to go back to basics. We know it works!!!

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

Thanks sleepyhead! Boston seems very nice indeed! We are at a sleep research conference so not really had much time to look around! Yes long haul flights can be associated with a swaying feeling, usually proximal to landing, and sometimes associated with jet lag. Very normal but if it persists or you have any concerns no harm to speaking to your GP in the first instance.

• Sleepio Member

• 1061 comments
    • 204 helped
    Graduate

Thanks. Settling now. Has happened in the past and also was on a cruise. Not too concerned. Have to go at the moment – dinner ready. Enjoy Boston…

• Sleepio Member

• 278 comments
    • 55 helped
    Graduate

Also, i have a question re IBS...why do people with IBS tend to have sleep issues? Obviously some might be in pain, but is it also because some people with IBS tend to be anxious?

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

Thanks for sharing your thoughts tonightsthenight. Back to basics is a great idea. changing your perspective to when you do have the odd night of poor sleep can also be very important in short circuiting the number of nights you will sleep bad. That is, knowing that you can sleep well ( demonstrated through the course) will provide some level of reassurance that sleep will return again, hopefully alleviating concern about the predictability of sleep.

• Sleepio Member

• 278 comments
    • 55 helped
    Graduate

having said that not all people with IBS have sleep issues ;)

• Sleepio Member

• 45 comments
    • 9 helped
    Graduate

Yes I suffer from IBS and I do think it could be a worry/anxiety connection with loss of sleep.

• Sleepio Member

• 2805 comments
    • 528 helped
    Graduate

Hi everyone – just saying hello and keeping an eye on the discussion cos like SH I'm in the middle of making the tea.

• Sleepio Member

• 416 comments
    • 62 helped
    Graduate

Evening early bird!

This is a question which has come up a few times so I think it might be worth an expert article. Hopefully I can give a quick answer in the meantime though:

The time spent out of bed is added to your 'in bed' section as it occurs during your Sleep Window and may impact negatively on your overall sleep quality and efficiency. If it were subtracted from your 'time in bed' it could lead to a rise in your Sleep Efficiency and an extension of your Sleep Window without your sleep improving.

I hope that makes sense and I'll add this to Dr Kyle's list of upcoming expert articles!

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

Good question earlyriser. There needs to be more research in this area. And you're right, in some people pain may be a contributing factor. iBS in some can also be associated with anxiety and stress, which can relate to stress hormones – an increase in which may disturb sleep initiation and/ or maintenance. There is certainly overlap between these two conditions and more research is required!

• Sleepio Member

• 2805 comments
    • 528 helped
    Graduate

Dr Kyle is SO right about knowing that you CAN sleep well and being reassured by that. I have found that change in attitude one of the most helpful things about the course. I still have bad nights but just don't let them worry me like they used to.

• Sleepio Member

• 278 comments
    • 55 helped
    Graduate

so would you say that the cortisol levels in the body need to be reduced to aid sleep and ibs?

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

Hi earlyriser. This is a good question which requires testing in a research study. It still needs to be determined whether changing cortisol in those with poor sleep (only) is associated with sleep improvements. There is a theoretical rationale for what you say though, but research is required to provide an answer.

• Sleepio Member

• 278 comments
    • 55 helped
    Graduate

ok, i'm happy to be a guinea pig lol ;) thanks Dr Kyle and fellow sleepios. Sleep well.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

Ha, thanks earlyriser! I'll bear that in mind!

• Sleepio Member

• 45 comments
    • 9 helped
    Graduate

I was just wondering whether you were getting a good uptake of the course. Are the numbers steady or increasing as more people hear about the course.?

• Sleepio Member

• 416 comments
    • 62 helped
    Graduate

Evening tonightsthenight!

I'm happy to say that people have be joining up, yes! And, as the clinical trial paper was published last week, we're hoping to see an ever-broader ranger of people signing up. Here's a link to the paper if you'd like to take a look:

http://www.journalsleep.org/AcceptedPapers/SP-025-12.pdf

• Sleepio Member

• 45 comments
    • 9 helped
    Graduate

Thanks for the link I shall have a look at the paper. Oh well night all. Hope its good for you all.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

Thanks a lot for joining tonight folks. Take care and speak next week in the UK. Hopefully I will also be able to share with you some recent advances in sleep research that I've learned about here in Boston this week.

Return to top