Live Discussion with Dr Simon Kyle - 12th September

Dr Kyle will be hosting a live online discussion here on Wednesday 12th September 7pm-8pm.

He will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour, starting with the most popular questions with answers being given in a way to give the most benefit to the general Community.

To have a say in which questions are answered, either:
+ post a question or comment ahead of the discussion, by clicking the blue ‘Add a comment’ button; or
+ vote on other people’s questions, by clicking the blue ‘Yes’ button underneath the relevant comment.

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to 'refresh' this discussion page.

To do this:

- On PC hit 'Ctrl' and 'R' or the 'F5' key
- On Mac hit 'Command' or 'Apple' and 'R'

Posted 6 Sep 2012 at 8:03 AM
  • 63 comments
  • 27 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Expert

thanks anita9355 – do you feel that the early morning awakenings are work-related? In the same way that often people tend to wake up more times/early when they are catching a flight the next day. Expectation can be key here. Emptying your mind, mentally preparing for the next day, may help – what strategies have you found useful in the past?

• Sleepio Member

• 143 comments
    • 25 helped
    Graduate

Hi laureloakwood, many thanks for your reply. It certainly gave me a boost. All the best and good sleeping to you.

• Sleepio Member

• 11 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 5

That’s an interesting article Dr Kyle. I think my insomnia was originally caused by a relationship I was in at the time, and also being on-call at night. However, I’m in a very happy relationship now and no longer do on-call! Before my problems started I always used to sleep really well.

• Sleepio Member

• 143 comments
    • 25 helped
    Graduate

Hi patpalloon nice to hear from you and good sleeping

• Sleepio Member

• 212 comments
    • 72 helped
    Graduate

No my sleep varies regardless of early starts. I recently was signed off for 3 weeks & with the pressure of work off me there was still no improvement. Some good nights, some bad, some no sleep at all. I just find that if im off the next day or a late start I dont get so panicky when im lying there awake. If Im working in the morning the panic & anxiety is off the scale.
    Ive tried relaxation techniques, repeating 'the', paradoxical thinking etc & it starts off ok but the panic takes over everytime. I just don't think im very good at it.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

thanks patpalloon. that's very common, often there is a clear reason or stressor which coincides with the poor sleep, but once the stressor is gone/fades, poor sleep remains. Current theories around this suggest that you have 'learned' to sleep poorly through various factors (behavioural and thought patterns), which might lead to inappropriate arousal/lack of de-arousal at bedtime. The sleepio programme breaks this down, aiming for you to 'relearn' how to sleep again.

• Sleepio Member

• 143 comments
    • 25 helped
    Graduate

Dr Kyle many thanks for your expert advice and articles you've posted on tonight's session. Goodnight everyone and good sleeping.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

thanks anita9355. do you keep a regular bedtime/risetime schedule regardless of how you've slept/not slept? What is the nature of your thoughts – is it concern about how you might function at work?

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

thanks for sharing lonepine77

• Sleepio Member

• 212 comments
    • 72 helped
    Graduate

Yes despite being VERY tempted I have kept to the SR window. Still get up at 6am regardless! Its killing me tho! Yes extremely concerned about how i will function at work.

• Sleepio Member

• 682 comments
    • 139 helped
    Graduate

You've probably tried all these, but just in case…
    yoga/ breathing exercises
    meditation
    chamomile tea
    rescue remedy…?
    (I know, I like the herbal remedies!)

• Sleepio Member

• 212 comments
    • 72 helped
    Graduate

I went to work today on no sleep last night & how i got through the day was beyond me. Was an emotional wreck when I walked through the door.

• Sleepio Member

• 212 comments
    • 72 helped
    Graduate

Oh yes you name it ive tried it lol. But thanks anyway xx

• Sleepio Member

• 682 comments
    • 139 helped
    Graduate

Are you taking anything to help with the anxiety? It sounds as though that is really your only problem (as you managed to crack the sleeping thing a while back).
    Have you tried owning a cat?! I know stroking mine & listening to her purr can be very relaxing!!

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

the thing to take away though anita9355, is that you managed it and got through it! I know it is difficult but if you can do your best to let 'sleep take over' by adhering to the SR window. it may well need adjusted downwards, just to help squeeze out the awakenings and consolidate sleep. You've made it happen before (done fantastically in fact) so it is within your grasp to achieve this again. re-visiting techniques in the past that worked would also be a good start. But trying to detach yourself from feeling 'pressure to sleep'. sleep will regulate itself in time by implementing all that you've learned in the past. But if you feel overwhelmed it might be worth mentioning to GP.

• Sleepio Member

• 11 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 5

I can identify with that Anita. I've had days like that. Is it your job itself that is stressing you or just having to go to work on no sleep?

• Sleepio Member

• 682 comments
    • 139 helped
    Graduate

Got to go…aforementioned cat is going nuts for her dinner!!

Hope you all sleep well! xxxx

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

that's us for tonight, folks. Thanks for joining. Good luck for the week and speak soon.

• Sleepio Member

• 212 comments
    • 72 helped
    Graduate

Thanks for your comments/suggestions/help! Bye for now x

• Sleepio Member

• 212 comments
    • 72 helped
    Graduate

No its just having to go to work on no sleep. The job itself isnt stressful but when I have a bad run of nights I think I would find any job stressful.

Return to top