Live Discussion with Dr Simon Kyle - 2nd January

Dr Kyle will be hosting a live online discussion here on Wednesday 2nd January 7pm-8pm.

He will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour, starting with the most popular questions with answers being given in a way to give the most benefit to the general Community.

To have a say in which questions are answered, either:
+ post a question or comment ahead of the discussion, by clicking the blue ‘Add a comment’ button; or
+ vote on other people’s questions, by clicking the blue ‘Yes’ button underneath the relevant comment.

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to 'refresh' this discussion page.

To do this:

- On PC hit 'Ctrl' and 'R' or the 'F5' key
- On Mac hit 'Command' or 'Apple' and 'R'

Posted 20 Dec 2012 at 3:23 PM
  • 41 comments
  • 12 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Expert

Hi paulhuntdeol… great question. consolidating gains can take several weeks and months. therefore, it is possible that your pattern is still moulding so to speak. as you say, experimenting with different strategies is defintely a good idea, determing – like a scientist – what works best for you.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

thanks banjodancing. that is correct. if you are feeling sleepy then the window may be adjusted accordingly.if you are achieving such a good sleep efficiency right now then it sounds like the window is set accordingly. often it can take some weeks and months to obtain improvements in how you feel and function during the day. how are you feeling during the day?

• Sleepio Member

• 512 comments
    • 191 helped
    Graduate

Can you offer any tips for coping with how terrible SR makes you feel at first?

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

thanks valkaye.average sleep duration for the week should equal the prescribed sleep window. so if you are sleeping, on average, 5.5 hrs, then a sleep window should be put in place of say 1.30-6am for example.

• Sleepio Member

• 98 comments
    • 30 helped
    Graduate

Thanks Dr Kyle – greatly appreciated – this seems to be my experience, it takes me days and sometimes weeks for a new sleep pattern to settle in. This week I made the switch from 11:15 – 6:00 to 11:00 – 6:00 and as in previous weeks my first three nights have been very poor, with much less sleep than usual, but because of the diary reminding me of my previous experiences I am confident that I will settle into this new window eventually – right now I am thinking it might take me another 10 to 12 nights.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

thanks carrie. there are different subtypes of insomnia, for example some people only have issues with falling asleep, others just problems with staying asleep, a mixed pattern, and those with what's called non-restorative sleep (no issues with quantity of sleep – the main problem is feeling unrefreshed, or poor quality sleep). Some people have this problem of poor quality sleep exclusively, while others may have periods of different sleep complaints.

• Sleepio Member

• 98 comments
    • 30 helped
    Graduate

Good to get confirmation that this is 'normal' progress

• Sleepio Member

• 25 comments
    • 10 helped
    Graduate

thanks dr kyle – is it something that tends to improve over time (sleep quality)?

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

these are all great questions banjodancing. some of these are the topic of ongoing research, and actually sleepio has one of the largest databases in the world which will help understand the trajectory of improvement over time (being able to answer questions that past studies have not). Variability night to night is very common in people with insomnia, and may suggest that the processes regulating sleep are not functioning efficiently, that is in a reliable manner like a good sleeper. the evidence suggests that behavioural treatments, like SR, may work through the 'jump-starting' of these processes. that is, they can work, but need to be re-ignited again. so to speak. we plan to update the sleepio community with our latest research findings when they become available.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

thanks banjodancing. an example could be that a stage of sleep is reduced in those with poor sleep, perhaps making an individual more likely to respond to noise, and therefore awakenings. correcting the timing and distribution of sleep statges may therefore help this. Research in this area needs intensified though because we still do not have clear answers.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

thanks valkaye. there is no clear way to know this I'm afraid. Sleep should (in most people) refresh them enough that a nap is not necessary. A short nap howerver, might be very normal for some. Early short naps should not impact subsequent sleep. however, a poor sleeper going through the course initially should avoid napping as much as is possible, to build sleep pressure over the day and give maximum opportunity to consolidating night-time sleep. sleep need is also important to bear in mind- 5/6 hours is perfect for some while 8 is neccessary in others.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

sounds like a good idea nightlight. back to basics, and SR will help you rebuild again.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

thanks katecelyn. I'm not aware of a link between the two, but best to consult doctor if you recognise that. also, possibly experiment with lengthening the window gradually, to see if that makes a difference but does not impair gains.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

thanks harrington – is this a recurrent problem? if so, best to consult GP.

• Sleepio Member

• 512 comments
    • 191 helped
    Graduate

Thanks, I'll give it a whirl. Seeing GP soon anyway.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

great question katecelyn. feeling slightly worse at the beginning of SR is very normal. the first few weeks are the toughest. if you can do as much as possible to keep alert (without taking caffeine etc.) and avoiding driving if you feel very sleepy. Also, scheduling activites in the evening in order to plan ahead so you don't fall asleep before your bedtime. sometimes asking a friend or partner to help with a structure may also be useful – any suggestions from our graduates?

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

absolutely carrie11. I'm very interested in why this is. but it is likely to do wtih this jump-starting of the two processes that regulate sleep – sleep pressure and the body clock (or circadian rhythm)

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

that's a great point paulhuntdeol – you've built up experience of 'good sleep' through dedicated implemention of the strategies. you know that your sleep system can and will work in a 'normal' fashion. important to remember when you are going through SR or the programme again.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

thanks for joining tonight folks. sorry we didn't get through more. will certainly cover further topics in subsequent sessions. all the best for 2013 and speak soon.

• Sleepio Member

• 98 comments
    • 30 helped
    Graduate

Thanks Dr Kyle, and best wishes for 2013

Return to top