Live Discussion with Dr Simon Kyle - 11th January

Dr Kyle will be hosting a live online discussion here on Wednesday 11th January 7pm-8pm.

He will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour, starting with the most popular questions with answers being given in a way to give the most benefit to the general Community.

To have a say in what questions get answered, either: – post a question or comment ahead of the discussion, by clicking the blue 'Comment' link below this message; or – vote on other people's questions, by clicking the blue 'Yes' button to the right of the relevant comment.

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to 'refresh' this discussion page.

To do this:

- On PC hit 'Ctrl' and 'R' or the 'F5' key
- On Mac hit 'Command' or 'Apple' and 'R'

Posted 9 Jan 2012 at 6:15 PM
  • 66 comments
  • 6 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 2805 comments
    • 528 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Graduate

One thing I have not worked out – if I go to bed between 10.45 and 11pm I drop off right away and am more likely to stay asleep till 4.30 or 5am whereas if I go after 11.15pm I take longer to go to sleep and wake up more times during the night and still wake up finally at 4.30 or 5am. Is that usual?

• Sleepio Member

• 134 comments
    • 56 helped
    Graduate

I'm 67. I asked the doctor today if I might be lacking in melatonin. He said they are not allowed to prescribe it and they had no way of testing if someone was deficient. I wasn't convinced. He asked what I wanted him to do. I suggested he wave his magic wand. His only tool was sleeping pills, which I declined.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

Good question Neil1. Some techniques can be very strong at improving sleep initially, to help get sleep into good shape, and then other techniques can support that long-term. All the techniques are able to be used at any point, the important thing is to implement them rigorously, and correctly until you get your sleep into good shape. One thing to remember also is that the odd bad night of sleep is normal (even for great sleepers!), and shouldn't be dwelled upon too much. Remember that sleep should become something you don't overly focus on.
    Are you still keeping a relatively constant sleep schedule?

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

Do you feel like you miss the wave of sleep nightjar? depending on our own body rhythm and age, this could have an impact. do you tend to get out of bed at 5am?

• Sleepio Member

• 47 comments
    • 10 helped
    Graduate

It was a bit up and down over Xmas, but I try to keep to 11 pm to 6 am now, have have done so for the past week or so.
    During the night if I woke up I could use the video technique to go to a quiet place and it work very well. How I have difficulty starting and getting into the video, any ides why?

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

Sounds like your doctor needs an update on the guidelines, Ollie.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

Have you tried developing another video Neil1? One thing also is not to find yourself overly monitoring if the technique is working or not, as that might limit its effectiveness. Be confident that you successfuly implemented it before and that it worked before; it will work again.

• Sleepio Member

• 2805 comments
    • 528 helped
    Graduate

Yes I'm usually awake at 5 and I know there's no chance of going off again so I just get up.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

has this always been your rhythm, or have you become more advanced (earlier bed and wake time) over the years?

• Sleepio Member

• 134 comments
    • 56 helped
    Graduate

He handed me a university health service sleep hygiene sheet. He was obviously out of his depth. I am struggling at the moment. Waking at 5.00am whatever time I go to bed. Sometimes fall asleep immediately and wake 1 1/2 hours later or else lying awake for a while before getting up for a couple of hours

• Sleepio Member

• 2805 comments
    • 528 helped
    Graduate

I have always been a morning person. I coped better with late nights when I was younger but have never liked them as I get sleepy. I just find it odd that going to be later makes it harder to get to sleep and stay asleep.

• Sleepio Member

• 113 comments
    • 48 helped
    Graduate

Hi, soory to be so late. No, Dr Kyle, I don't remember being aware that the wine made me more mentally active, all I remember is the frustration at being awake as I knew it would wreck my sleep efficiency record and rule out a further 15minutes in my schedule!

• Sleepio Member

• 2805 comments
    • 528 helped
    Graduate

that should read going to BED later

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

Sounds like you should capitalise on your natural rhytm nightjar. this dictates sleep and wake times. going to bed later staying up later will feedback on your internal clock and potentially make sleep consolidation harder.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

that's us guys. thanks for joining tonight. speak to you next week. good luck and good sleeping!

• Sleepio Member

• 2805 comments
    • 528 helped
    Graduate

OK – that's what I'm doing – do you think it might get more flexible once I'm consolidated?!

• Sleepio Member

• 2805 comments
    • 528 helped
    Graduate

Good night everyone, thanks again Dr Kyle.

• Sleepio Member

• 199 comments
    • 96 helped
    Graduate

I've just joined the sleepcourse. I notice on the community posts, many people struggling with complicating factors such as restless leg, fibromyalgia etc. I have (mild) restless legs and my sister has fibromyalgia and we both suffer sleep problems (genetics?). How effective is the CBT approach where there are underlying medical conditions?

• Sleepio Member

• 278 comments
    • 55 helped
    Graduate

hi chrispy, just seen your post. make sure you post this onto next week's live discussion as this week's has now finished. also post it onto the how did you sleep last night and you will get some honest answers. i do not suffer from restless legs etc so am unable to help. look for the Live Discussion with Dr Kyle Wednesday 18th Jan thread, it usually pops up in an orange box on a monday with Rosie being the author.

• Sleepio Member

• 573 comments
    • 218 helped
    Graduate

I've only just joined the Sleepio course. I found the above direct questions and answers very helpful.

Return to top