Live Discussion with Dr Simon Kyle - 11th April

Dr Kyle will be hosting a live online discussion here on Wednesday 11th April 7pm-8pm.

He will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour, starting with the most popular questions with answers being given in a way to give the most benefit to the general Community.

To have a say in what questions get answered, either: – post a question or comment ahead of the discussion, by clicking the blue 'Comment' link below this message; or – vote on other people's questions, by clicking the blue 'Yes' button to the right of the relevant comment.

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to 'refresh' this discussion page.

To do this:

- On PC hit 'Ctrl' and 'R' or the 'F5' key
- On Mac hit 'Command' or 'Apple' and 'R'

Posted 7 Apr 2012 at 5:30 PM
  • 28 comments
  • 9 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 95 comments
    • 41 helped
    Graduate

Hi Dr. Kyle, I have been getting very light headed over the last couple of weeks, do you know if it can be related to not getting enough sleep..

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

Hi All! Welcome to the live chat session. let's get started!

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Expert

great question andymoir. I think the important thing is not to nap, which would weaken sleep pressure; and to get appropriate light and social interaction, both of which will help regulate circadian rythms/body clock. Often resting might put us in a position where a nap might be more probable; and it is avoiding sleep during the day which is important.

• Sleepio Member

• 695 comments
    • 308 helped
    Graduate

as a subsidiary question to andymoir's I am also interested in how to determine when to have extra sleep as a part of post viral fatigue. Do you think it is OK to have a couple of nights a week that I nominate to sleep longer in the morning if that is what I feel I need?

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

Thanks Enfys. Check to see if the light box is enriched with blue wavelength light. these will be most effective at impacting your body clock.

We often see people who used to work night shifts and now have poor sleep; so you are certainly not alone. Stability of bed and rise times, 7 days a week, is important, meaning your sleep window should follow a consistent pattern. What time do you start work at? The other option is trying to change your 'natural phase', pushing your bedtime back – Light in the morning can help this.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

Hi IanNR. this pattern is very common and SR can take several weeks before good nights become more frequent and continuous. So, my first thought is stick with it. It varies from individual to individual, but for some it might take 3-4 weeks or greater of SR before sleep becomes robust and stabilised. for your natural sleepiness, is your main problem with waking up in the middle of the night and/or early morning?

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

Hi Blackwood. though not terribly common, it is certainly possible. Often headaches and tension might increase after poor sleep, and sometimes this can be accompanied by dizzy or light-headedness. Has sleep been the factor that's changed? these feelings should generally pass but if they get worse/become more frequent, then always worth consulting your GP and being a detective about whether anything else has changed in your life (e.g. diet)

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

Thanks Goldie, this is good question; and one I can't give a definitive answer to. Is it extra sleep you need or extra rest? We know that stabilising sleep-wake times and rhythms (light, exercise, social interactions, meal times) will all promote better sleep and wake funcitonig, so variability is not ideal. From research on similar conditions, that are characterised by fatigue, it is known that CBT-based methods do improve sleep and some aspects of functioning. Do you feel improving sleep more would allay the need for further rest/sleep periods?

• Sleepio Member

• 143 comments
    • 25 helped
    Graduate

Hi Dr. Kyle. My question is around the topic of staying asleep through the night. Having said that, I've just quickly looked @ my sleep diary & found since starting the course in February I've slept 5 nights through when my sleep efficiency was in the 90s percent. That's led me on to think to go back & see what I did to sleep the night. At the moment I'm waking up aprox 1 to 1 & half hrs after falling asleep. I'm then up for aprox 1hr to 1& half hrs before I go back to bed. I'm feeling tired through the day even when I've overslept I haven't felt energised to start the day. I think I need reassuring that things will get better. My sleep efficiency is in the 70s. Many thanks. Chris.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

Hi Folks, we are having a quiet night tonight! does anyone have any questions/issues at all they would like to discuss?

• Sleepio Member

• 695 comments
    • 308 helped
    Graduate

My sleep has improved tremendously since I started Sleepio but there are still times in my week when I feel exhausted and think I would benefit from sleeping on in the mornings as I am also very sleepy. I know I used to spend up to 14 hours in bed to get 6 hours sleep and these days have long gone. Now I am sleeping 6hours plus and keep myself up late to stick to the SR and a couple of times I have broken the rule to let myself sleep on because I am so exhausted and I have slept for about 8 hours ( in bits but little time awake or out of bed). I have immediately the next night gone back to SR so I don't slide back to my old ways!!

• Sleepio Member

• 95 comments
    • 41 helped
    Graduate

Thanks Dr. Kyle….Never had light headedness before through lack of sleep just looking for an answer, I have had quite alot of stress recently maybe down to that.

• Sleepio Member

• 143 comments
    • 25 helped
    Graduate

Dr. Kyle what's the difference between sleep & rest please? I'm sure I should know the answere or there is an article about it but my brain is too tired to look for info. Many thanks Chris.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

Hi Lonepine77. thanks for the question. the good thing is that you are able to sleep consolidated, several nights in the 90s is proof that your sleep-wake system can function well. it sounds like you need to go back to basics, perhaps initially with SR and fixed sleep window? as well as the 15 minute rule during the night if you wake up? you make a good point about quality and quantity; over-sleeping but still feeling groggy when during the day may suggest poor sleep composition (not getting the right distribution of sleep stages). worthwhile practicing those components of the course that helped you previously – any ideas what worked best?

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

great discipline Goldie!

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

there are certain brain activity patterns that are only present during sleep and these have specific restorative functions for your body and brain; these are not found even during quiet wakefulness/rest. Sleeping at the right time of the day is also important in order to get the right composition of specific sleep stages.

• Sleepio Member

• 143 comments
    • 25 helped
    Graduate

I'm still using SR & think of using the QHR each night but can't seem to get myself into being aware enough to think of the QHR but thanks for your answer & I'll look to getting back to basics. Chris

• Sleepio Member

• 143 comments
    • 25 helped
    Graduate

Many thanks for your reply & are there any articles on it please.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

thanks Lonepine77. Here is a link to a couple of posts on QHR:

The Quarter of an Hour Rule: Putting it into Practice
    The Quarter of an Hour Rule: The Science

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

That's us for tonight folks! Many thanks for joining and speak next time. have a nice week.

Return to top