Live Discussion with Dr Simon Kyle - 10th October

Dr Kyle will be hosting a live online discussion here on Wednesday 10th October 7pm-8pm.

He will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour, starting with the most popular questions with answers being given in a way to give the most benefit to the general Community.

To have a say in which questions are answered, either:
+ post a question or comment ahead of the discussion, by clicking the blue ‘Add a comment’ button; or
+ vote on other people’s questions, by clicking the blue ‘Yes’ button underneath the relevant comment.

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to 'refresh' this discussion page.

To do this:

- On PC hit 'Ctrl' and 'R' or the 'F5' key
- On Mac hit 'Command' or 'Apple' and 'R'

Posted 4 Oct 2012 at 9:03 AM
  • 39 comments
  • 20 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Expert

Thanks vshine. it's important that sleeping is only for the bedroom and wakefulness for outside the bedroom. If you are able to return to the bedroom then, over time, your brain and body will begin to re-associate the bedroom with feelings of sleepiness and sleep. helping to promote good sleep.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

Thanks, sleepless dave – we know that the techniques can work in combination with medications. In time, if you did decide to start taking medication, and once improvements in sleep were established, you may then want to discuss reducing the use of pills. Again, though, medication is something that's best discussed in collaboration with your doctor.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

Thanks for your question, Marigold1942. Great that you are beginning to see some improvements. It is always best to consult with your GP if deciding to reduce medication (particularly if there is an underlying health condition, that might be worsened by changes in medication). You are also very right about the importance of sleep and epilepsy. It might also be good to mention to your doctor that you are doing the sleepio course. For example, some parts of sleepio (later sessions) involve some mild restriction of time in bed, which might reduce total sleep time for a short period (this is important because we don't want to exacerbate any underlying medical conditions by short term sleep loss). Hope this helps, Marigold1942.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

Certainly, bookworm but as you say, as long as you do not find yourself nodding off before you're allowed! It might be worth experimenting with different activities in order to work out the best strategy that keeps you awake enough, but at the same time not over-stimulates you. anyone have suggestions for bookworm?

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

Thanks trilbye. great question. usually the effects of the clock change are very short-term and there are no clear evidence-based guidelines for altering sleep. So we would encourage adherence to the window as is. it might be difficult in the first few days, but your body clock will adjust to the new clock time.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

thanks, Blondie68. great to hear you've got your CPAP. I think it is very normal for people to take a few days to adjust to the new device. can anyone else share their experiences of CPAP? and let us know their initial impressions?

• Sleepio Member

• 14 comments
    • 2 helped
    Session 5

Andy Moir is very helpful,thanks for your reply.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

Thanks, Viraat_Johar. Sleep paralysis is certainly very common, we all might experience it now and then. but if it is persistent and also linked to other things like excessive daytime sleepiness, then worth mentioning to GP. here is a brief article on sleep paralysis:

What is sleep paralysis

• Sleepio Member

• 874 comments
    • 208 helped
    Graduate

Just popping in to let you know that the initial settling in period for CPAP machines and masks depends on every different person, I find it's always best to do a “dry run” for a week or so, and gradually introduce yourself, my machine gives 100% for anything over 4 hours.

it is however a lifelong challenge so patience will persevere, hope this helps Sarah and Dr Kyle

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

many thanks for sharing andymoir

• Sleepio Member

• 874 comments
    • 208 helped
    Graduate

Post on my profile if you need to share or need advice Sarah, please let me know on my page how things are going
    Thanks
    Andy

• Sleepio Member

• 14 comments
    • 2 helped
    Session 5

Thanks Andy,ive been trying to wear it in bed+then getting uncomfotable,i was ok at the hospital probably i knew they were at hand.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

it's quiet tonight, folks! any burning questions we can discuss?

• Sleepio Member

• 14 comments
    • 2 helped
    Session 5

Thanks again AndyMoir,much appreicated,i know youv,e a lot of health problems of your own o deal with.

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

I have lost the ability to drop off to sleep,without tablets, is this an indication of dependence.?

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

I'm glad I decided to do the Sleepio course and pleased with how it's going. My sleep has improved. I follow the discussion session every week and just read the comments.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

thanks placepotter. it may well be, or it could also be an expression of the pre-existing poor sleep. Often, in clinical trials, researchers assess how well people sleep after the withdrawal from sleeping pills to determine if there are any withdrawal symptoms and if sleep improvements are maintained. Always worth mentioning to GP if you feel you are becoming too reliant on them/been on them for a long time.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

many thanks for your comments billm99. Great you are progressing well and seeing some benefit.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

That's us for tonight, folks. Many thanks for joining. Have a good week and speak next time.

• Sleepio Member

• 585 comments
    • 139 helped
    Graduate

Thank you for your advice. I realise the risks and will do as you suggest. I am sure my Doctor would be more than happy that I am trying so hard to get off this horrible addictive drug.

Return to top