Live Discussion with Dr Simon Kyle - 10th April

Dr Kyle will be hosting a live online discussion here on Wednesday 10th April 7pm-8pm (GMT).

He will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour, starting with the most popular questions with answers being given in a way to give the most benefit to the general Community.

To have a say in which questions are answered, either:
+ post a question or comment ahead of the discussion, by clicking the blue ‘Add a comment’ button; or
+ vote on other people’s questions, by clicking the blue ‘Yes’ button underneath the relevant comment.

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to 'refresh' this discussion page.

To do this:

- On PC hit 'Ctrl' and 'R' or the 'F5' key
- On Mac hit 'Command' or 'Apple' and 'R'

Posted 5 Apr 2013 at 8:24 AM
  • 46 comments
  • 6 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 682 comments
    • 139 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Graduate

Hi MandyT,
    I had similar problems with my sleep over many years, to the point where I wasn't even aware any more how bad my sleep was – I was so used to it! It wasn't until my sleep started to improve through sleepio that I realised what I'd been missing all those years!!
    If you need any advice, just check out the discussions, or post on your wall, or check in here every week. There are so many grads who will be happy to help you!

• Sleepio Member

• 682 comments
    • 139 helped
    Graduate

Hi Marky,
    Yes, set your watch to the new time zone, then stick to your sleep window. It should even itself out over a couple of days if you've built up enough sleep pressure!

• Sleepio Member

• 682 comments
    • 139 helped
    Graduate

Is anyone lurking out there, reading all the posts but too shy to type in a question???

Come on, be brave – we won't bite!!!

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

Hi Marky, great point. The important thing will be to negotiate jet-lag when you change time-zones, at least initially. That is, eating at the same time as local clock time, avoid napping during the day, and get appropriate light/dark exposure consistent with the new clock time. once you have established this new routine, then the sleepio strategies can be implemented as usual.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

thanks LOW

• Sleepio Member

• 19 comments
    • 7 helped
    Graduate

Hi Dr. Kyle
    I'm in week 2 of the program. I have a question regarding reading in bed. Since I was a young child, I have read in bed before going to sleep. I have formed an association between bed and reading. I stopped reading in bed before I started Sleepio but the last two nights I read a chapter of a history book and found my self not only relaxing, but I got sleepy. I feel asleep faster than when I don't read. Is it such a bad idea to read in bed?

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

Hi Renee, this is a great point. In normal circumstances it of course is fine to read and, as you say, may help create a positive association. The difficulty here is that we are stripping back everything to increase the probability of getting you over to sleep (and staying asleep). To do this, we find it best to have a blanket ban.You will also be introduced to sleep efficiency on the course and reading in bed (spending time awake in bed) will contribute to lower sleep efficiency. So the advice just now might be to read in another room before you are ready to retire to bed, but try and avoid reading in bed itself.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

Hi Fredley – good question. By doing this programme, in time your sleep system will be able to accommodate small changes/deviations in sleep time (for example when a good sleeper has a lie-in, or restricts sleep on a particular night). Recovery processes contained within sleep often allow for this. How different is the schedule? If it is at the morning end, it will often be the case that your bed time will still be the same (due to consistent body-clock timing) but that you will need to modify wake/rise-time for that particular day.

• Sleepio Member

• 19 comments
    • 7 helped
    Graduate

Ok, Dr. Kyle – I will follow that advise. Another question, if I may. I have two bulging cervical discs that are compressing nerves, so I experience a fair bit of pain. I find that in late afternoon my neck hurts so much that I need to lay down to just take the pressure off – I might only need 30 minutes or so (and not every day). Is this also a detriment to the bed/sleep association?

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

quick question to the community: anyone notice any changes to sleep pattern with the clock-change recently?

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

Hi Renee – great point. Do you mean that you nap for 30 minutes or so? Napping may reduce sleep pressure for the subsequent night and reduce time spent in deep sleep. It is fine, certainly, to lie-down, ideally in another room, say on the sofa. So that you are only in bed when sleepy at night-time. You will learn more about SR techniques in session 3.

• Sleepio Member

• 682 comments
    • 139 helped
    Graduate

Hi Renee,
    Are you having to lie down in bed or can you do it in another room? Obviously if it's working for you that's a good thing, but maybe if you can do it away from bed it will help with the program.
    (If you can only lie down in bed to get relief then you should probably continue with it – ask your GP for advice about this as they will be able to give you proper medical advice)

• Sleepio Member

• 19 comments
    • 7 helped
    Graduate

No, I never nap – even if I'm tired – it just doesn't happen. I'll try the sofa although I like the harder surface of a bed – I often will lie down in another room than the one I sleep in. I hope that SR will bring back that lovely feeling of sleepiness and not just fatique!

• Sleepio Member

• 682 comments
    • 139 helped
    Graduate

I love it when the clocks go forward!! But then I am a bit of a lark…I hate when the clocks go back in October – it feels like I spend the whole winter waiting for them to go forward again!!

• Sleepio Member

• 1136 comments
    • 211 helped
    Graduate

I always read in bed before Sleepio. I gave it up at the beginning as it seemed obvious that it would be to my advantage with sleep-bed connection. It was hard to do. Only now, after six months have I allowed myself to read again. I am currently getting away with it..

• Sleepio Member

• 19 comments
    • 7 helped
    Graduate

Hi laureloakwood – I am following the advise of my physical therapist – some days are worse than others, but I usually try to keep going. For some reason going for a walk relieves the pressure – very strange! And I wear one of those air traction units for about 10-15 minutes a day – that seems to ease the compressed nerves.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

Hi Renee – sounds like you have developed a good strategy then. resting (not sleeping), but in a different room from your sleeping/bedroom.

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

thanks for sharing Dream on!

• Sleepio Member

• 1192 comments
    • 306 helped
    Expert

That's us for tonight folks. Thanks for joining. Have a good week, sleep well, and speak next time.

• Sleepio Member

• 682 comments
    • 139 helped
    Graduate

Good night Dr Kyle, thank you!

Sleep well everybody xx

Return to top