Live Discussion with Dr Michelle Davis - 23rd Dec 2020

Dr Davis will be hosting a live online discussion here on Wednesday 23rd December, from 3.30 to 5.00 US Eastern Time or 8.30 to 10.00 British Time.

They will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour and a half and, as always, you are welcome to ask any questions at all about sleep or the Sleepio program. If there are a lot of questions, they may not be able to answer all in the time available, but will try to answer as many as they can.

Please do note that, as per our guidelines, Dr Davis will not be able to give personal medical advice including those about medication. Their replies to questions will be made in such a way as to help as many people as possible who might have similar issues.

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to refresh this discussion page.

To do this

On PC hit CTRL and R keys or the F5 key
On Mac hit CMD and R

Posted 17 Dec 2020 at 4:01 PM
  • 17 comments
  • 2 helped

Comments

• Sleepio Member

• 13 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

hi there,

i started SR for 3 days but i feel like it's not working..

my normal sleep schedule is sleep at 9pm and wake up at 530am. however i've been waking up at 4am every morning and for some reason my sleep in the second half of the night is never fully rested sleep. i wake up tired, exhausted and have a sleep headache all day.

my SR schedule right now is sleep time is 11:30pm and my wake time is 6:30am. however i still find myself waking up around 4am and not being able to go back to sleep well. it's always light sleep and not deep sleep. i feel exhausted and tired all day…

how long does it take for SR to work? am i doing something wrong? it's been a few days and i'm not seeing any improvements. my sleep efficiency is around 80% only

thank you
    jocelyn

• Sleepio Member

• 13 comments
    • 4 helped
    Graduate

Does SR actually work for people like me whose issue is fragmented sleep (waking up numerous times per night without trouble falling back asleep)? Hasn't worked for me so far.

• Sleepio Member

• 13 comments
    • 0 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Graduate

i also have fragmented sleep :(

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 5

Hello,

Well, I start panicking throughout the day wether or not i will sleep, if my partner will snore, will my children get up, have i been positive all day?- if not will this have an impact! It’s endless. And as a result I have trouble falling asleep. I toss and turn and force myself to relax which only makes matters worse! Annoying factor is the fact that when I’m reading i cant keep my eyes open! Can’t win. Really hope sleepio helps!!

• Sleepio Member

• 29 comments
    • 4 helped
    Graduate

Sometimes I wake at 3.30 and then can't get back to sleep at all. I try the quarter of an hour rule and try again but still can't get back to sleep. I can't get up and do things else where in the house as it would disturb my husband. In my sleep diary it says I've only had 3 hours sleep but actually I had 4.5 hours or more before 3.30 so I'm not sure how to record it.

• Sleepio Member

• 13 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I used to be able to sleep 8 hours no problem. The last few months my body has been waking up around 6 hours of sleep without being able to go back to sleep.

I've been doing sleep restriction for 7 days now. My sleep schedule is 12-6am right now. The first 5 days
    I would wake up around 4am (before SR i would sleep 9-4am without restful sleep)

The last 2 days I've been waking up before my alarm at 5:57am. My alarm is set for 6am. I'm worried because I'm naturally waking up at 6 hours of sleep when my body needs 8 hours of sleep. Should I continue doing SR from 12-6am? It's only been a week and only the last two days are 95+ sleep efficiency. If I add 15 mins after a week of 90+ sleep efficiency will my body naturally be able to sleep up to 8 hours again?

• Sleepio Member

• 13 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

I am new to the Sleepio program… on Lesson One completing my sleep diary. Over the past few years I have been the caretaker for elderly parents and other family members with health issues so I got very little sleep.
    They have passed away and I still cannot sleep. I typically go to bed at 11p and awaken each night round 3a and rarely can I go back to sleep. I find my mind racing and I am wide awake.Hopefully the future sessions will address this problem.????

• Sleepio Member

• 17 comments
    • 6 helped
    Graduate

how do I access this discussion?

• Sleepio Member

• 242 comments
    • 53 helped
    Expert

Hi Jocetmo,

Sorry to hear you’re having some difficulty during the sleep restriction period. This is the most challenging part of the program for most people.

I would not expect for someone to start to see the benefits from sleep restriction in the first few days. It takes a while for the brain to adjust to the new schedule, and often things get a bit worse before they get better. It varies how quickly people see a benefit (for some a few weeks, for others it may take longer), but it sounds as if you’re doing following the program correctly – if you feel sleepy, that means your sleep drive is high (in other words, sleep restriction is working and doing it's job).

I encourage you to hang in there and check the rest of the community board to see how others cope during this tricky time.

Thanks for the question!

• Sleepio Member

• 242 comments
    • 53 helped
    Expert

Hi Ryan,

Thanks for the question. Yes – sleep restriction works for most types of common sleep problems, including fragmented sleep, and can help to consolidate sleep into a smaller, unbroken window.

I’m sorry to hear you have not seen a benefit so far. One of the most important things for fragmented sleep is to be sure you are following the quarter hour rule (i.e., getting out of bed if you’re unable to fall back asleep within 20 minutes of waking up, and not going back to bed until you are sleepy). If you’re following the program and still not seeing benefit, it may be helpful to talk to a doctor about your sleep to get more personalized care.

• Sleepio Member

• 242 comments
    • 53 helped
    Expert

You can post a question here and I'll respond to it within the discussion time window. :) It will notify you when I've responded.

• Sleepio Member

• 242 comments
    • 53 helped
    Expert

Hi Bhavanimehta,

Welcome to the program! I’m sorry to hear you’ve had a challenging time so far. The good news is that you are almost to the part of the program that tends to be helpful for most people (though it is challenging).

Worrying about sleep is very common (you can check the community boards here to hear from others with similar issues), and unfortunately contributes to sleep problems. You’ll learn specific techniques for managing worry and stress in sessions 4 and 5.

I also hope that the program gives you the benefits you’re looking for!

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Hi – My question has to do with sleep apnea and sleep efficiency. I use a CPAP and that treatment is working very well. Can someone with sleep apnea expect to get to 90%+ sleep efficiency? Or would someone with this condition, by definition, have less of a chance of achieving that due to interruptions to sleep? I haven't managed to get past the 80's yet, but I'm still working to practice all of these techniques and can't blame it on the apnea quite yet. :)

• Sleepio Member

• 242 comments
    • 53 helped
    Expert

Hi Senora,

When you do the quarter hour rule, what sorts of activities are you doing? Are you leaving the bedroom? It’s very important to leave the bed, but less important what you do during the time you are out of bed (as long as it’s in dim light conditions and something non-stimulating). Could you listen to an audiobook with headphones, read under a lamp, or try some other activity that won’t disturb your husband?

If you’re having trouble with using the sleep diary, I recommend you reach out to our User Happiness team who can give you detailed instructions on recording in the sleep diary. Their email address is help@sleepio.com.

Hope this helps!

• Sleepio Member

• 242 comments
    • 53 helped
    Expert

Hi again, Jocetmo!

Sorry, I did not see that you had posted more than once. I would generally recommend continuing with the sleep restriction schedule as it often takes longer than a week to see the benefit. I do want to highlight that you should be getting less than 8 hours of sleep during the sleep restriction process – the purpose is to constrict your sleep into a shorter, consolidated window, then gradually increase the amount of time you’re in bed. For more information about the science behind sleep restriction, I recommend this article:

https://www.sleepio.com/library/article/sleep-restriction-the-science/

Hope this helps!

• Sleepio Member

• 242 comments
    • 53 helped
    Expert

Hi JazzyLady,

Welcome to the Sleepio program! I’m sorry to hear your sleep has been disturbed over the last few years due to some stressful events.

The sleep problems you’re describing sound very similar to the sleep problems experienced by many of our users (you can browse the community posts to read about their experiences), and – though I can’t say specifically without knowing your medical history and more about your sleep – sound like something that could be addressed using Sleepio. You’ll learn what to do when you wake up at night unable to get back to sleep in your next few sessions.

In the meantime, I recommend browsing the community and the Sleepio library until your next session. I hope you find the program helpful!

• Sleepio Member

• 242 comments
    • 53 helped
    Expert

Hi LillyB,

Thanks for the great question! I’m glad to hear you’re using a CPAP and that it’s working well! It’s not easy for many people to stick with, so kudos to you.

If sleep apnea is well-managed (as yours appears to be) it is not impossible to improve sleep efficiency as the awakenings due to sleep apnea are relatively brief by nature. I’m glad to hear you are still practicing the techniques – if you continue to find that sleep efficiency is not improving and if you’re feeling tired during the day, I would speak to your doctor who is treating your sleep apnea about your use of the program and what to expect.

Hope that helps!

Return to top