Live Discussion with Dr Michelle Davis - 19th February 2020

Dr Davis will be hosting a live online discussion here on Wednesday 19th December, from 8.30pm to 10.00pm British Time or 3.30pm to 5.00pm US Eastern Time.

They will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour and a half and, as always, you are welcome to ask any questions at all about sleep or the Sleepio program. If there are a lot of questions, they may not be able to answer all in the time available, but will try to answer as many as they can.

Please do note that, as per our guidelines, Dr Davis will not be able to give personal medical advice including those about medication. Their replies to questions will be made in such a way as to help as many people as possible who might have similar issues.

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to refresh this discussion page.

To do this

On PC hit CTRL and R keys or the F5 key
On Mac hit CMD and R

Posted 14 Feb 2020 at 1:19 AM
  • 8 comments
  • 6 helped

Comments

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 3 helped
    Graduate

Each week the prof has granted me a 15 minute increase to my sleep window which I have greedily accepted.

These past few weeks I have declined the profs offers but there is not the option to give back 15 minutes.

Now I believe my sleep window is too long, is there a way to reign it in on my schedule? I have personally reduced my window and fill in my actual data but it doesn't tally with my schedule.

Ultimately, does this even matter if the two are out of sync?

• Sleepio Member

• 52 comments
    • 22 helped
    Graduate

Hello Dr Michelle Davis.

I moved my SW too quickly and too frequently due to an important hospital appointment about 3 weeks ago and I have had problems with my sleep since.Will never do that again. Each week I am getting 15 mins extra as I am over 90% but this is still moving my SW. I don’t know what to do to get my sleep back on track. I am going to sleep quickly but I am waking up around 4am or 5am to go to the toilet then I wake up from 07.00am onwards several times briefly until my alarm goes off. My SW is 12.30am to 08.00am. The brief awakenings are getting more frequent as time goes on. I am tired during the day because of this. I did notice going back through my Sleep Diary when I was on 12.45am to 07.15am that I was quite frequently not going to the toilet and had the maximum of 3 wakings.

Thank you for any advice.

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Hi
    Is the sleep restriction phase mandatory ? I am worried about my mood dropping as happens if I am too tired. Can I work on the sleep window and consistency without it ?
    Many thanks

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Hello Dr Michelle,

I find that the headaches are a real challenge. My sleep window is 5 hrs at the moment. Is it okay to take painkillers to get through the day, and if so which type would be the most gentle one to take?

Many thanks,

Heidi

• Sleepio Member

• 242 comments
    • 53 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Expert

Hi Gibzilla,

Great question. As you’ve already noted, you’re welcome to adjust your sleep window on your own in line with your preferences and needs. Ultimately, the most important thing is that you stick to a sleep schedule that works for you (regardless of the schedule/data you see in Sleepio) – but it’s helpful for tracking purposes if those line up! For that reason, you are able to make manual adjustments to your Sleepio window. I’ve pasted below an article that describes how to do this:

https://www.sleepio.com/library/article/how-to-shift-your-sleep-window/

If you have any technical difficulties with this process, please feel free to contact our support team at hello@sleepio.com at any time.

Hope this information is helpful!

• Sleepio Member

• 242 comments
    • 53 helped
    Expert

Hi Life On Mars,

Thanks for reaching out.

One thing that may be helpful to keep in mind about brief awakenings is that they’re normal, unavoidable, and everyone experiences them (though not everyone remembers them). They become a problem when they are prolonged (i.e., longer than 15 minutes) or are causing a lot of distress or problems (e.g., extreme fatigue or reduced functioning during the day). Accordingly, it can be helpful to remember awakenings are normal.

However, for those who find that their awakenings are prolonged or causing a lot of distress, sleep restriction is often helpful. It sounds from your post like you noticed an improvement during a more restricted sleep window. Remember that you are welcome to make adjustments to your sleep window in line with your own preferences and needs. If you feel like your sleep window moved too quickly, you are welcome to manually adjust your sleep window in the Sleepio program. I’ve included a link with instructions for how to do this below:

If you have any technical difficulties with this process, please feel free to contact our support team at hello@sleepio.com at any time.

I hope this information is useful to you.

• Sleepio Member

• 242 comments
    • 53 helped
    Expert

Hi josleepio!

Thanks for the question. Nothing in Sleepio is mandatory – all information is intended as self-help, meaning that ultimately it will be up to you to decide what aspects of the program work best with your needs and preferences, and how to implement them (with input from your medical provider as needed/desired).

Many people opt not to participate in sleep restriction and use Sleepio in the way that you mentioned – to work on developing better habits around sleep and a more consistent sleep window.

You can make manual adjustments to your sleep window in the Sleepio program by following the instructions at this link:

Hope this is helpful information, and hope you find Sleepio useful!

• Sleepio Member

• 242 comments
    • 53 helped
    Expert

Hi Heidi,

Sorry to hear you’ve been struggling with headaches. I’m not able to provide specific medical advice or recommend medications for you – your doctor will be the best person to do this, having your medical information and history. For individuals who find that they are experiencing medical issues when starting sleep restriction (such as headaches), we often do recommend that they consult with their doctor. Headaches can have a number of different causes, and your doctor will be the best person to help you determine whether sleep restriction, or something else, may be triggering your headaches.

My general advice for coping during the sleep restriction phase is remembering that even though it is challenging, it is temporary (it won’t last forever!), and it's one of the most effective ways to improve your sleep. To combat tiredness, many find it helpful to use moderate caffeine consumption in the mornings and get some light exercise (not too close to bed).

Thanks for your question, and I hope your headaches resolve quickly.

Return to top