Live Discussion with Dr Michelle Davis - 11th December 2019

Dr Davis will be hosting a live online discussion here on Wednesday 11th December, from 8.30pm to 10.00pm British Time or 3.30pm to 5.00pm US Eastern Time.

They will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour and a half and, as always, you are welcome to ask any questions at all about sleep or the Sleepio program. If there are a lot of questions, they may not be able to answer all in the time available, but will try to answer as many as they can.

Please do note that, as per our guidelines, Dr Davis will not be able to give personal medical advice including those about medication. Their replies to questions will be made in such a way as to help as many people as possible who might have similar issues.

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to refresh this discussion page.

To do this

On PC hit CTRL and R keys or the F5 key
On Mac hit CMD and R

Posted 5 Dec 2019 at 9:35 PM
  • 9 comments
  • 3 helped

Comments

• Sleepio Member

• 13 comments
    • 18 helped
    Graduate

Tips for dealing with a setback/relapse in poor sleep.

I was making progress with a steady rise in sleep efficiency to over 90%. This week, stress increased at work and I had two consecutive rough nights with rampant work thoughts and Quarter Hour stints that took my SE back into the mid 70's. I fall asleep easily but wake up with a start in the middle of the night with the flood of thoughts. I use a variety of Sleepio tools and normally get back to sleep within an hour or so. I am feeling low about the setback and wonder if you have tips for dealing with this.

• Sleepio Member

• 11 comments
    • 5 helped
    Graduate

Hi I am still in SR and not sure what to do if I go out and therefore later to bed than ususal. Should I preserve the slee window or the getting up time, even if I am maybe an hour later going to bed? Thanks

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Hi. I made some really good progress just after session 4. But for two weeks between session 4 and 5 (the app had a blip and wouldn't give me my normal weekly session) I'm now back to where I was when started SR – with disrupted early wakenings and a reduced sleep window (the sleep window I started with). I think I'm doing everything I should be doing and just don't know why it's regressed or why it's not working. Feeling a bit desparate and exhausted.

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 1 helped
    Session 1

Hi i'm struggling to know if this is right for my problem. I can go to sleep early at 9.30ish with ease and i wake at 4.30ish. I sleep very well when asleep. i would like to just move my sleep pattern back to 11.00pm – 6.00am if possible. I think i have an Advanced Sleep-Wake Phase issue not an insomnia issue. Will this program help me, when i filled in the questionnaire i struggled as my issues didn't seem to be catered for.
    Also i could make my sleep efficiency close to 100% straight away just by getting out of bed when i wake at 4.30. I'm confused.
    Thanks

• Sleepio Member

• 242 comments
    • 53 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Expert

Hi Billyards,

Thanks for the question! I’m glad to hear that you were able to make some good progress with Sleepio, and I'm sorry to hear you’ve had difficulty lately.

I think this article in the Sleepio library by Dr. Simon Kyle may speak to some of your concerns:

https://www.sleepio.com/library/article/my-sleep-efficiency-is-slipping---should-i-be-worr/

It’s important to remember that poor nights of sleep will occur from time to time for everyone – even good sleepers. This can be due to a number of factors, including stress, which you mentioned as a potential cause. Though it can be very frustrating (especially when you’ve recently experienced some success!), as Dr. Kyle states in the article, the key is how you deal with the setback.

It’s wonderful that you’re still using the tools you learned in Sleepio. People who are experiencing stress often find it useful to focus on the techniques presented in weeks 4 and 5 of Sleepio (e.g., thought checker/challenger, mindfulness, putting the day to rest, etc.). You may also find this article on the relationship between stress and sleep disturbance insightful:

https://www.sleepio.com/library/article/stressful-life-events-and-sleep-disturbance/

My general recommendation to someone who experiences a setback after completing sleep restriction would first be to continue to practice good sleep habits (the quarter hour rule, sleep hygiene, paying attention to light exposure, etc.). Sleep restriction can also be repeated if someone finds that their SE continues to be low and they are experiencing low daytime energy and functioning.

I hope this is helpful!

• Sleepio Member

• 242 comments
    • 53 helped
    Expert

Hi Glisglis,

Great question. Ultimately it will be up to you to decide how to implement the tools and techniques in Sleepio, but the general recommendation is to keep wake times as consistent as possible, even bedtime is a bit later on a particular night. It is also not recommended that people try to make up for lost sleep (or “repay sleep debt”) – this is addressed in a Sleepio article by Professor Colin Espie that you might find insightful:

https://www.sleepio.com/library/article/should-you-try-to-make-up-for-lost-sleep-on-subseq/

Hope this helps!

• Sleepio Member

• 242 comments
    • 53 helped
    Expert

Hi HutchVC,

Sorry to hear you’re having some trouble.

As far as difficulty with the app/program goes, our User Happiness team is available to help out with these issues if they come up again – they can be reached via email at hello@sleepio.com. They try to respond to all inquiries within 24 business hours.

My feedback will be similar to my response to Billyards above – I think this article in the Sleepio library by Dr. Simon Kyle may speak to some of your concerns:

https://www.sleepio.com/library/article/my-sleep-efficiency-is-slipping---should-i-be-worr/

It’s important to remember that poor nights of sleep will occur from time to time for everyone – even good sleepers. Though it can be very frustrating (especially when you’ve recently experienced some success!), as Dr. Kyle states in the article, the key is how you deal with the setback.

It’s unclear to me what happened during the two weeks between sessions 4 and 5 and whether you were able to continue with sleep restriction during this time. My general recommendation to someone who has experienced a setback is to continue with SR and good sleep habits. For frustration and worries about sleep, the techniques in sessions 4 and 5 (e.g., thought checker/challenger, mindfulness, putting the day to rest, etc.) may be relevant.

I hope this is useful information!

• Sleepio Member

• 242 comments
    • 53 helped
    Expert

Hi wiffer,

Thanks for your question. Your medical provider would be in the best place to provide you with a specific diagnosis and help you decide if Sleepio is right for you, but I can tell you that Sleepio has been shown to be helpful for a wide variety of sleep problems. Some individuals without insomnia find it more helpful to focus on the sleep hygiene tools in Sleepio, rather than focusing on improving sleep efficiency through sleep restriction (as you stated you already have high sleep efficiency).

As Sleepio is a form of self-help, you’ll ultimately be in charge of how you adapt the information and tools in the program to your specific needs, but my general recommendations to someone hoping to shift their sleep schedule would be to:

1) Gradually shift the sleep window over time (e.g., for a later sleep window, shifting both the bedtime and rise time by 20 minutes later each week until reaching the desired sleep window). You’ll get a sleep window recommendation in Sleepio in session 3, which you can manually shift/adjust to suit your preferences.

2) Keep bedtimes and rise times as consistent as possible each day

3) Pay close attention to factors that could impact circadian rhythms, such as light exposure (i.e., getting bright light exposure first thing upon waking and being in dim light conditions before bedtime), and consistent meal and exercise times (not too close to bedtime)

The following article contains information about the factors that determine our individual sleep patterns that you may find interesting:

https://www.sleepio.com/library/article/what-controls-our-sleep-pattern/

In session 2 of Sleepio you’ll learn more about sleep hygiene and the impact of light exposure on your circadian rhythms.

I hope this is helpful!

• Sleepio Member

• 13 comments
    • 18 helped
    Graduate

Very helpful information. Thank You!

Return to top