Live Discussion with Dr Kirsty Horne - 9th October

Dr Horne will be hosting a live online discussion here on Wednesday 9th October 7pm-8pm (GMT).

She will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour, starting with the most popular questions with answers being given in a way to give the most benefit to the general Community.

To have a say in which questions are answered, either:
+ post a question or comment ahead of the discussion, by clicking the blue ‘Add a comment’ button; or
+ vote on other people’s questions, by clicking the blue ‘Yes’ button underneath the relevant comment.

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to 'refresh' this discussion page.

To do this:

- On PC hit 'Ctrl' and 'R' or the 'F5' key
- On Mac hit 'Command' or 'Apple' and 'R'

Posted 4 Oct 2013 at 12:18 PM
  • 50 comments
  • 2 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 341 comments
    • 25 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Graduate

Thanks sleepsound.

• Sleepio Member

• 341 comments
    • 25 helped
    Graduate

Hi Sleepsound, glad to hear your sleep is continuing to improve. Your idea sounds like it would be useful. I believe generally research studies have found most evidence for multi-modal CBT programmes, such as Sleepio and individual components of this, like sleep restriction, progressive relaxation, stimulus control (using bed only for sleep, not lying awake in bed for lengthy periods) and paradoxical thinking; however, I believe you are right- depending on an individual’s specific difficulty with sleep, different components will be most effective for them. We also know that sleep hygiene alone is not effective in the long-term for primary insomnia- although it is a useful component of the multi-model programme.

• Sleepio Member

• 1692 comments
    • 341 helped
    Graduate

Hi Dr. Kristy, Just joined in.

• Sleepio Member

• 341 comments
    • 25 helped
    Graduate

thanks Dream on

• Sleepio Member

• 341 comments
    • 25 helped
    Graduate

Hi Zofia, I’m pleased to hear that your sleep is improving. I don’t see any reason based on what you have said, that sleep restriction would not help you at this stage. Can I ask how old you are? Most healthy adult sleepers get 7-9 hours sleep a night, although the average amount of sleep declines as we age. Applying all the components of Sleepio together should certainly help improve your sleep even further.

• Sleepio Member

• 341 comments
    • 25 helped
    Graduate

Sounds promising strummer- thanks for your input.

• Sleepio Member

• 341 comments
    • 25 helped
    Graduate

Hi Sleepsound, I see what you mean. I will pass your question to one of the technical people to advise on this issue. Thanks.

• Sleepio Member

• 341 comments
    • 25 helped
    Graduate

Hi Angief, thanks for joining us.

• Sleepio Member

• 341 comments
    • 25 helped
    Graduate

Hi Angief, was there something in particular you wanted to know about non-restorative sleep? Non-restorative sleep is a subtype of insomnia, whereby one might have relatively ‘normal’ latency to fall asleep, and little/no wakefulness during the night. This can mean several things. For example, non-restorative sleep may reflect another underlying sleep disorder (e.g. limb movements, sleep-breathing disturbance), or an associated underlying medical illness like Fibromyalgia, Chronic fatigue or chronic pain. In these latter medical conditions, there has been published evidence of altered sleep macro and micro structure, as well as studies showing improvements in sleep through CBT-based methods. Non-restorative sleep can also occur in the absence of other conditions. If you believe you have non-restorative sleep, it might help to have other conditions ruled out by your GP, you might want to consider changing the timing of your sleep window, so that it fits better with your clock or circadian phase. Or you might need to extend your window in order to receive more sleep.

• Sleepio Member

• 341 comments
    • 25 helped
    Graduate

Hi again Elf, sorry you are confused. In the situation you describe, if you do not return to bed then you would mark 2am as your rising time. You would have 12am as your bed time, record how long it took you to fall asleep, length of time asleep, number of awakenings, final waking time (2am) and rising time (also 2am). You might find the following article useful: https://www.sleepio.com/library/article/how-to-fill-in-your-sleep-diary/

• Sleepio Member

• 20 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

Hi Dr Kirsty, thank you that helps alot.

• Sleepio Member

• 341 comments
    • 25 helped
    Graduate

You're welcome, glad it was helpful.

• Sleepio Member

• 341 comments
    • 25 helped
    Graduate

10 minutes left- any more questions tonight?

• Sleepio Member

• 1692 comments
    • 341 helped
    Graduate

Thanks. I think I have non-restorative sleep because I sleep very lightly most of the night, almost as if I'm awake. However I do also have frequent awakenings but am able to get back to sleep pretty fast. My sleep study was normal. I have an appt with my GP in a month. I'll mention it to him. I was really wondering if any other tools have been identified to assist with NRS? MY SW is 8 hours. I know I could sleep longer in the am but that wouldn't change what happens in the night.

• Sleepio Member

• 20 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

Hi again Dr Kirsty. If you are answering others before the time is up then I can ask this again next week. Last night I slept at the beginning of the night and then 20 mins before my window was to end, I felt sleepy tired again. Partly because I was anxious I would not sleep if I went to bed for 20mins and also felt what was the point, I stayed up on the couch and fell asleep anyway for about 15mins. What should I have done. In hindsight it probably did nothing for my sleep/bed connection.

• Sleepio Member

• 1692 comments
    • 341 helped
    Graduate

Hi again, I'm interested in reading the research re: chronic pain and altered sleep structure. I've had migraines for over 45 years. Maybe that has something to do with it.

• Sleepio Member

• 341 comments
    • 25 helped
    Graduate

Hi Angief, that’s good you have had a sleep study and it was found to be normal. I’m not aware of any specific techniques to help with NRS I’m afraid. If you are waking frequently, it might be worth shortening your SW again to see if that makes a difference. Maybe also try going back to the basics with Sleepio and ensuring you are implementing all the techniques. You might also want to look into sleep state misperception http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_state_misperception

• Sleepio Member

• 341 comments
    • 25 helped
    Graduate

Hi Elf, that is a difficult situation. It’s unlikely you would have fallen asleep quickly enough and had any quality sleep before needing to rise again- I think I would have been tempted to just get up if I was you. Unfortunate you ended up sleeping on the couch however, at least you still managed to get up at your set rise time.

• Sleepio Member

• 341 comments
    • 25 helped
    Graduate

I'm afraid we are out of time. Thanks to everyone who joined the session tonight and for the interesting questions. I hope my replies helped you. Sleep well!

• Sleepio Member

• 341 comments
    • 25 helped
    Graduate

Angief, you might also like to look at Proessor Espie's article: https://www.sleepio.com/library/article/can-you-think-youre-awake-when-actually-youre-asle/

Return to top