Live Discussion with Dr Kirsty Horne - 7th August

Dr Horne will be hosting a live online discussion here on Wednesday 7th August 7pm-8pm (GMT).

She will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour, starting with the most popular questions with answers being given in a way to give the most benefit to the general Community.

To have a say in which questions are answered, either:
+ post a question or comment ahead of the discussion, by clicking the blue ‘Add a comment’ button; or
+ vote on other people’s questions, by clicking the blue ‘Yes’ button underneath the relevant comment.

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to 'refresh' this discussion page.

To do this:

- On PC hit 'Ctrl' and 'R' or the 'F5' key
- On Mac hit 'Command' or 'Apple' and 'R'

Posted 1 Aug 2013 at 11:26 AM
  • 43 comments
  • 13 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 341 comments
    • 25 helped
    Graduate

We still have 10 minutes left- does anyone else have any questions or comments? How are you all sleeping?

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I'm doing the sleep restriction and have no problem falling asleep but wake in the wee hours and struggle to get back to sleep. Feel really tired most of the time.

• Sleepio Member

• 341 comments
    • 25 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Graduate

Hi pjones, that sounds frustrating. Do you manage to stick to the QHR, rise at your set time and avoid napping?

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Yes, so far but am tempted at times to have a quick nap.

• Sleepio Member

• 341 comments
    • 25 helped
    Graduate

You must be really tired- well done for persevering with the programme. I think it's important to avoid napping if you can as it would decrease your pressure for sleep at bed time, making it more likely that you will continue to awaken through the night. Sleep restriction can be difficult and it might take a while for your new sleep pattern to strengthen, however, it does work for most people. Hang in there and use the community for support if you need it. Good luck!

• Sleepio Member

• 341 comments
    • 25 helped
    Graduate

That's us finished for tonight. Thanks to everyone for joining the session and sleep well.

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 3

many thanks,

• Sleepio Member

• 219 comments
    • 36 helped
    Graduate

Finding this discussion very difficult to read, nothing follows on and for instance Ollie's first reply from Dr K is neither on Ollie's page nor this one.

• Sleepio Member

• 305 comments
    • 19 helped
    Administrator

Hi sleepsound, sorry to hear you're finding the discussion difficult to read – only the 20 most recent comments are shown for each discussion, hence you're not seeing some of the replies. To display earlier comments, just click on the blue 'Show older comments' link found above the first comment on this discussion.

I hope this helps but please do give us a shout if you have any further questions at all!

• Sleepio Member

• 8 comments
    • 4 helped
    Graduate

thanks for your reply. Unfortunately my doctors haven't really been very specific in offering me any help with my sleep. All they seem to offer is therapy, which I have had my fill of in the past, not to say it hasn't helped, im much less anxious than I used to be, but still the sleep problems remain. It's true to say than any lifestyle changes can help you cope better with the burnout/exhaustion, since I've been eating better, take b vits, trying not to push things too far (which im guilty of ) gentle exercise, it helps you cope with the exhaustion.Like you said, It's so frustrating as I know that if I could get regular quality sleep, im sure it would overcome much of the burnout over time, im in a horrid cycle of cramming things in when im feeling less drained, then crashing coz I've probably pushed things too far again, it's really difficult to judge when enough is enough, also you can't just decide not to go to work when you decide you must take it easy. It's a difficult one, but im hoping that a regular sleep cycle is something I can achieve, im sure this is the key, but oh so difficult to maintain.

take care

• Sleepio Member

• 8 comments
    • 4 helped
    Graduate

thanks for your reply Kirsty. Yes guilty as charged, with the rest/overactivity cycle. I suppose it's difficult when you feel a bit better and very tempting to not get all those things done that you have left because you have been too exhausted. It's good that you have pointed this out, it's pinpoints a problem that I've knowingly/or through fear have been ignoring, it's time for me to sort this out, I feel positive about the fact that I have the sleepio community and it's also comforting to know that so many people are in the same kind of boat.

• Sleepio Member

• 868 comments
    • 269 helped
    Graduate

There will be at least one discussions on dealing with Chronic Fatigue/ME. This is a medical condition and you must support it with rest and pacing your activities. Otherwise it gets worse.

I have had ME/CFS for 11 yearsand told them I had this problem. Sleepio had no problem allowing me to do whatever I needed to do for medical reasons.

I'm a follower of Dr Bruce Campbell's course cfidsselfhelp.org and was able to go back to college part time from a nearly housebound base. The most important thing I did was take a n afternoon lying flat in bed eyes shut break. For many months I slept for at least an hour. I no longer need to sleep in the afternoon at all, but do pace myself very seriously. I'll have a look and see what the discussions were called, as I took part in them at least a year ago. One is called Living with Post Viral Fatigue and has 101 comments on it.

I did find sleep restirction helped me. I had a problem waking in the middle of the night. I learned lots of technique and tools over the weeks to help me. Tghere are downloads later on in the course which are really helpful as well. In fact, I listened to the Prof last night!

Good luck in getting a handle on your sleep. It is the first thing that we have to do to be able to improve our CFS.

• Sleepio Member

• 868 comments
    • 269 helped
    Graduate

That is an interesting reply to Suzie Dr Horne.

I have CFS/ME and was given permission by one of the Sleepio experts to follow my GP's advice and have an hour or more sleep in the afternoon. I had been doing that for sometime, and still needed to do that for some time more to continue to improve my CFS/ME symptoms. I was and still am on a strict regime of pacing and have improved enough to go back to college part time. I'm also able to be fairly physically active again.

There are a range of different subsets of the CFS/ME illness that are being discovered around the world that it may be very different treatments will emerge for different individuals. The general treatment for the illness is very different in the US than in the UK as well.

However I'm a graduate from the earliest course and was able to use the Sleepio techniques to very much improve my sleep. I'm grateful to the Sleepio expert gave me permission to continue to work with my GP and to take their recommended afternoon naps. I have improved both my sleep and my CFS/ME.

I have suggested that Suzie look at the discussion board of Living with CF/ME and see what she thinks. I certainly hope Sleepio helps her as it did me, even though I couldn't follow all the Sleepio rules.

• Sleepio Member

• 65 comments
    • 24 helped
    Graduate

Hi Suzie, thanks for your reply. It sounds to me like you already have lots of info and know many things to do, it its just frustrating with the ups and downs whilst on the path to wellness and good sleep. Having one really good day and then wanting to catch up on your to do list, then no energy the next day. I have been through that and still have this a little but it is gradually getting better.

There is some great resources here as pointed out by Suella and Dr. Horne with the discussion board, etc. I have not looked at it yet, will do later. Know one ever mentioned to me about seeing an Occupational Therapist, I'm not sure if this therapy for fatigue would be available in Canada. I had to do a lot of my own groundwork and searching to find what worked for me. Pacing myself, even on the good days is important. This is a complex issue and remedies will vary from each Country and practitioner – I.e. I was told to rest in the afternoon, laying flat, but avoid sleeping, just rest. Some additional resources (maybe you already know) are Jacob Teitelbaum, M.D., “Fatigued to Fantastic” and Adrenal Fatigue by James Wilson. Also, beat fatigue with Yoga by Fiona Agombar. (Hope it is ok to mention this on the posting)

I have found a lot of support here on the Sleepio program and the community, this has really helped – you are not the only one. Lots of homework but worth the effort.

• Sleepio Member

• 65 comments
    • 24 helped
    Graduate

Hi Dr. Horne, some great tips here, thanks.

• Sleepio Member

• 65 comments
    • 24 helped
    Graduate

Hi Suella, thank you for your posting, this is helpful information. I can relate to your situation as it sounds like mine was similar. I was looking under the discussions board on Chronic Fatigue and living with post viral fatigue and was not able to find it. Maybe I was looking in the incorrect place. Do you have more info on this?

• Sleepio Member

• 8 comments
    • 4 helped
    Graduate

Thanks suella, I have never actually been diagnosed with ME/cfs, it was suggested to me once after I had described my symptoms to an occupational therapist, but getting any support from my local GPs is pretty limited. It took them ages to give me a diagnosis of an underactive thyroid and they missed lack of iron, and almost laughed when i told them a saliva test I had pointed toward adrenal exhaustion. I've done quit a bit of research on all my ailments myself and tried to help myself as much as I can, but any extra info is much appreciated.

I can really relate to needing to just lay flat when im exhausted, it really can help a lot of the time, when im at work and can't do this I really feel like my body is overheating and feel very sick and dizzy. Sorry if this message is a bit disjointed, i had a terrible night last night.

i think pacing yourself is the key thing.

thanks for all your replies.

• Sleepio Member

• 8 comments
    • 4 helped
    Graduate

Thanks Lajean, I will take a look at those suggestions.

• Sleepio Member

• 868 comments
    • 269 helped
    Graduate

Have you clicked on the Community page, and looked under the further discussions on the right hand side.Scroll down to see probably about 100 topics or more.

I think it is called Sleeping problems with Post viral fatigue/ME/CFS. 101 posts.

I seem to have misremembered the title.
    Suella

• Sleepio Member

• 65 comments
    • 24 helped
    Graduate

Found it, thanks Suella. Lots of info out there. Was not diagnosed with the CF but had all the symptoms. Good news is with perseverance, improvement did happen.

Return to top