Live discussion with Dr Kirsty Horne - 4th September

Dr Horne will be hosting a live online discussion here on Wednesday 4th September 7pm-8pm (BST).

She will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour, starting with the most popular questions with answers being given in a way to give the most benefit to the general Community.

Posted 2 Sep 2013 at 6:30 PM
  • 70 comments
  • 0 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 341 comments
    • 25 helped
    Graduate

15 minutes left…still time for a few more questions. How are you all getting on with the course?

• Sleepio Member

• 8 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I'm 25 and relatively healthy…if that helps

• Sleepio Member

• 219 comments
    • 36 helped
    Graduate

As a non-expert I wonder if going back to SR, with a SW that you work out by experimentation would help. Otherwise your sleep pressure won;t build enough ot get deep sleep -tht's what I'm finding anyway. (Not sure tjese posts are all getting through)

• Sleepio Member

• 219 comments
    • 36 helped
    Graduate

awb, is 6 unrealistic to get up for your new job? You could work out your SW to wake then?

• Sleepio Member

• 44 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

sleepsound, thanks for the info…it is helpful to know. My sleep, or lack of it, is horrendous so I hope that Sleepio can help. I'm a little worried about the SR part but I guess all I can do is try.

• Sleepio Member

• 341 comments
    • 25 helped
    Graduate

I'm still here for another 10 minutes if there are any more questions?

• Sleepio Member

• 219 comments
    • 36 helped
    Graduate

I find SR hard ot combine with work and after starting was told I could have delayed and planned it, that might help to start with. Lately I find I know I can cope with less sleep (except for driving) that seems to help in itself. Once you see results from what you do it feels quite empowering.

• Sleepio Member

• 8 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Thanks. What do you mean by delayed and planned it?

• Sleepio Member

• 341 comments
    • 25 helped
    Graduate

sorry everyone- bit of a technical problem- I wasn't able to see any other posts for the last 20 minutes- will get to them now and Dr Kennan may help also

• Sleepio Member

• 44 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Again, thank you sleepsound…I will keep those points in mind as I go through the programme.

• Sleepio Member

• 341 comments
    • 25 helped
    Graduate

Hi Lyn7, I'm not aware of any such turning point. I wonder what the graduates have found? My experience of using the techniques with people varies a lot with people benefitting from different aspects at different times, depending on their individual sleep difficulties.

• Sleepio Member

• 409 comments
    • 91 helped
    Graduate

Hi there asb23, apologies about the techincal problem- we couldn't see your question! It sounds as if you have done really well on the programme- well done for sticking with it! Many people want to stop with sleep restriction when on holiday however find that they may need to implemenet it again

• Sleepio Member

• 341 comments
    • 25 helped
    Graduate

sounds like you have made some improvements for sure sleepsound

• Sleepio Member

• 409 comments
    • 91 helped
    Graduate

Things like a new job, moving house etc can be stressful and it is not uncommon that people have some sleep problems at that time however normally it will get better

• Sleepio Member

• 341 comments
    • 25 helped
    Graduate

Hi Sleepsound, I'm not sure about the diary. I will pass your question to one of the admins and someone will get back to you.

• Sleepio Member

• 409 comments
    • 91 helped
    Graduate

I wonder if you need to consider your wind down routine and set a realistic bed time and wake time? It might be worth putting some relaxation strategies into practice? If you do need to put sleep restriction back into practice, remember how well it worked for you before- it is only temporary until your sleep efficency improves. Best of luck with the new job and your sleep!

• Sleepio Member

• 44 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Thank you for the info and help everyone. It's still early here so I'm off out. Wishing you all sweet dreams!

• Sleepio Member

• 341 comments
    • 25 helped
    Graduate

Unfortunately we are out of time. I'm really sorry for the technical difficulty tonight. Thanks for helping each other out in the interim! and thanks Dr Keenan for your help also. Sleep well everyone and thanks for joining us.

• Sleepio Member

• 409 comments
    • 91 helped
    Graduate

No problem! Good night everyone

• Sleepio Member

• 7 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Hi! I would like if someone can explain how can mindfulness help for better sleeping and what it is exactly. I feel that in session 4, racing mind, it is not very well explained thanks! in advance

Return to top