Live Discussion with Dr Kirsty Horne - 31st July

Dr Horne will be hosting a live online discussion here on Wednesday 31st July 7pm-8pm (GMT).

She will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour, starting with the most popular questions with answers being given in a way to give the most benefit to the general Community.

To have a say in which questions are answered, either:
+ post a question or comment ahead of the discussion, by clicking the blue ‘Add a comment’ button; or
+ vote on other people’s questions, by clicking the blue ‘Yes’ button underneath the relevant comment.

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to 'refresh' this discussion page.

To do this:

- On PC hit 'Ctrl' and 'R' or the 'F5' key
- On Mac hit 'Command' or 'Apple' and 'R'

Posted 25 Jul 2013 at 5:22 PM
  • 38 comments
  • 7 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 341 comments
    • 25 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Graduate

Sorry to hear you're still struggling with the QHR. Has your sleep improved at all since completing the course? I think you did mention some improvements in a previous session. Do you waken as frequently through the night? It's difficult to say how long it will continue as everyone is different. If you are still regularly lying in bed awake for 15 minutes or longer, I wonder if you need to shorten your sleep window and strengthen your sleep pattern for a while?

• Sleepio Member

• 6 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 3

My issue with insomnia seems to go in bouts of good & terrible. Sometimes the terrible is short lived, but often it goes on for many days. I can link it back to severe post natal depression after 3rd child. I suppose I am wondering how to keep all the elements going through the good phases and how long of sleeping well/efficiently will enable me to relax the pre-bedtime routines, diary, thought analysis etc? I think I have been too quick to think I was better after doing the programme while reading Dr Espie's book.

• Sleepio Member

• 74 comments
    • 17 helped
    Graduate

I don't wake in the night it is getting to sleep. I have shortened my window from the one I am allocated. Sometimes I achieve over 90% SE however on other nights it is much lower. A bit boom or bust even though I follow the same routine.

• Sleepio Member

• 143 comments
    • 25 helped
    Graduate

My sleep isn't always so good at times but I find it interesting as well as helpful when I go into my case file each morning and look at the graph. This can often be helpful in pinpointing the problem to work on and if there isn't an immediate solution to allow myself to 'let it go'. I'm also becoming more aware of how far more relax I am about the whole concept of my sleep.

• Sleepio Member

• 7 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Hi Dr. Kirsty. I joined Sleepio because even if I have a good Sleep Efficiency, I always awake 1, 2 times per night to go to the toilette and I'd like to have some advice to cut this need. I am 37, working with shift patterns. Generally I awake 4 hrs after having fallen asleep.
    I can stay in the toilette from 10 to 30 minutes and this is not good for my sleep.
    By taking into account these minutes as minutes awaken during sleep, my efficiency is 90-95%. By cutting these it could improve a lot.
    Any help or advice please?
    Tnxs, regards.

• Sleepio Member

• 215 comments
    • 35 helped
    Graduate

Hello all. I am sleeping generally well, averaging 7 hours good or very good sleep though I do tend to wake up once or twice (though I seem to remember you saying this was normal in a previous session). I have recently been experiencing alcohol as disturbing my sleep, after a few hours' good sleep – awake and restless and unable to get back to sleep for an hour or two. I stopped drinking entirely whilst on SR, and I think I may need another spell of this, though red wine seems the main culprit. I think it is menopause related…

• Sleepio Member

• 341 comments
    • 25 helped
    Graduate

Sorry to hear that acwalker! It sounds like you have really been struggling with your sleep. How long ago did you have your 3rd child? It can be difficult to ‘keep all the elements going’- it’s like re-learning how to sleep and changing bad habits you might have had for quite some time. The book is good, however, obviously does not have the added benefits of the interactive tools, relaxation and mindfulness exercises that the online course has. The course covers all of the techniques in the book and a few extras and also gives you access to the online community for support, which users find extremely valuable. It sounds like you noticed some improvements from reading the book, so hopefully you will also benefit from the online Sleepio course. It’s difficult to say how long you need to keep up the techniques before relaxing them- I would just use your judgement, relaxing them gradually when your sleep pattern has improved and re-implementing them if required.

• Sleepio Member

• 143 comments
    • 25 helped
    Graduate

Hi HarryBear, I was doing QHR for a long time after graduating. I would suggest it's a personnel choice. You'll know (I'm sure) when you've had enough of doing it so that it will cease to be of benefit to you.

• Sleepio Member

• 341 comments
    • 25 helped
    Graduate

what is your average sleep time now HarryBear? perhaps you need less than you are getting and this is why sleep onset is difficult? try waiting until you are sleepy enough to sleep before going to bed.

• Sleepio Member

• 341 comments
    • 25 helped
    Graduate

sounds positive lonepine77!

• Sleepio Member

• 143 comments
    • 25 helped
    Graduate

I've found taking 2 breathes in and 3 out is the trick for me, it works 9 out of 10 times. It has taken some time but because I know it works I stick with it even when I feel it isn't going to work some nights.

• Sleepio Member

• 6 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 3

Thanks Dr Horne. Am determined to keep focused. 3rd child was quite a while ago now – 5 years. The depression relapsed and did take courses of anti-depressants. Not on any medication now for quite sometime, but I have read on this website that some of the drugs prescribed show that users have prolonged problems with sleep after taking the medication. Ironic, as that was one of the main symptoms of the depression!

• Sleepio Member

• 341 comments
    • 25 helped
    Graduate

Hi waveturner, I would recommend you visit your GP about this need as it does sound quite unusual to spend so long in the bathroom through the night- shift patterns may play a part but being investigated for any physical causes might be worthwhile. Thinking about your diet and timings of meals could also be worthwhile.

• Sleepio Member

• 341 comments
    • 25 helped
    Graduate

Glad to hear you are sleeping well Polly Sleep. Yes, brief awakenings are normal even in good sleepers. Avoiding alcohol (particularly red wine) near bed time sounds like a good plan.

• Sleepio Member

• 341 comments
    • 25 helped
    Graduate

I hope things improve for you soon acwalker- you sound motivated, which is positive. Stick at it!

• Sleepio Member

• 74 comments
    • 17 helped
    Graduate

Hi Lonepine77. Yes I am practising my breathing during the day as well and finding it very helpful.

• Sleepio Member

• 341 comments
    • 25 helped
    Graduate

Okay, that's us out of time everyone. Thanks again for joining the session and Sleep Well!!

• Sleepio Member

• 7 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Tnxs Dr. Kirsty. I already talked about this to my GP, and he did not find any issue in relation to the times. Of course I stay just 1-2' if I have just to urinate, but more if I've to to other and during the night I need just more time. However also a simple need to pee is annoying since it is interrupting my sleep pattern.
    I'll concentrate on the diet and timings as per you advice thanks. However I'd appreciate if you have something specific for “diet” and “timing”.
    Many thanks.
    Have a nice day!

• Sleepio Member

• 341 comments
    • 25 helped
    Graduate

Hi, just quickly, if you are looking for more dietary advice, you could consult with a dietician- or probably find info on healthy eating online. In relation to timings, I meant limiting fluids in the evening, limiting alcohol and not having large quantities of food close to bed time (and not eating through the night).

• Sleepio Member

• 7 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Thank You!

Return to top