Live Discussion with Dr Kirsty Horne - 21st August

Dr Horne will be hosting a live online discussion here on Wednesday 21st August 7pm-8pm (BST).

She will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour, starting with the most popular questions with answers being given in a way to give the most benefit to the general Community.

To have a say in which questions are answered, either:
+ post a question or comment ahead of the discussion, by clicking the blue ‘Add a comment’ button; or
+ vote on other people’s questions, by clicking the blue ‘Yes’ button underneath the relevant comment.

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to 'refresh' this discussion page.

To do this:

- On PC hit 'Ctrl' and 'R' or the 'F5' key
- On Mac hit 'Command' or 'Apple' and 'R'

Posted 15 Aug 2013 at 3:27 PM
  • 51 comments
  • 9 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 680 comments
    • 138 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Graduate

Thank you – we need a little luck at the moment! One outstanding piece of paper from the vendor is holding everything up!! We were hoping to move before the end of the holidays, but it's not looking likely now :-(

• Sleepio Member

• 341 comments
    • 25 helped
    Graduate

p.s. do you use the 'graduate common room'?

• Sleepio Member

• 215 comments
    • 35 helped
    Graduate

Good evening everyone. The problem I had with insomnia that brought me to Sleepio was triggered by starting a new job that requires me to get up at 6am – not my natural rising time… and I used to get very anxious about early starts and just got into a really bad pattern where the first 4 months in the job I was never there in anything other than a sleep deprived state. Sleepio helped me turn this around, especially by taking the fear out of the early start since on SR that was my rising time every day. Sleep is pretty good now, and I have been on holiday for 4 weeks as I work at a school. I tend to wake around 8 and have been sleeping between 7 and 8 hours on average. I think it will help me to start 'retraining' myself next week by getting up at 6.00 at least some of the time, but can't decide if a spell of actual SR (gentle version) would be a good plan. I really don't want to fall back into the old anxious pattern… Any thoughts?

• Sleepio Member

• 585 comments
    • 139 helped
    Graduate

Thank you.
    I don't reckon I am the only one feeling a little insecure.
    Your reply like a snuggly comforter!! Mmmmm…

• Sleepio Member

• 341 comments
    • 25 helped
    Graduate

sounds frustrating! hopefully it will be a distant memory soon and everything will fall into place (including your sleep).

• Sleepio Member

• 585 comments
    • 139 helped
    Graduate

Pps – yes. GCR my main support. It's a great place.

• Sleepio Member

• 680 comments
    • 138 helped
    Graduate

Hi Polly, I'm a teacher so I have the same problem – holiday lie-ins then horrible start of term get-ups!
    It's definitely a good idea to start setting your get-up time before you need to start back to work.

• Sleepio Member

• 341 comments
    • 25 helped
    Graduate

Good evening Polly Sleep. It sounds as though you have really benefitted from doing the Sleepio course and have developed a good understanding of how your difficulties developed and what was maintaining them. When are you back at work and what time will you need to be up? If you can start getting up at the ‘new’ time a week or so prior to starting back (and also going to bed earlier), I’m sure this would help to get you back into a good routine without causing too much stress. You also have the evidence that you can do it and it does work, which will increase your confidence and reduce stress. Practising the relaxation and mindfulness techniques might also help decrease any associated anxiety.

• Sleepio Member

• 143 comments
    • 25 helped
    Graduate

Hi Dr. Horne and good evening to everyone. I've just joined in and been reading all the comments, queries and replies. There are some very good comments regarding reduction or even finishing with having to take sleeping tablets. This is where I'm at and I hope to start doing this soon. When I've tried it before my head has always been buzzing that I've had to resort back to having one. Thanks for all your expert knowledge Dr. Horne.

• Sleepio Member

• 215 comments
    • 35 helped
    Graduate

It's the week after next – Wednesday as I only work weds – fri, and I set my alarm for 5.50!!

• Sleepio Member

• 341 comments
    • 25 helped
    Graduate

You're welcome lonepine77! As a Clinical Psychologist, medication is not my area of expertise but I think the comments from Sleepio members this evening have been really helpful and encouraging. Good luck with it.

• Sleepio Member

• 215 comments
    • 35 helped
    Graduate

Yes I think perhaps I'll start a set routine from next weds, just to remember 6am actually holds no fear (tho soon it will be dark again at that time as it was when I first began SR!!)

• Sleepio Member

• 215 comments
    • 35 helped
    Graduate

Thanks Dr Horne and laurel for your responses

• Sleepio Member

• 585 comments
    • 139 helped
    Graduate

Hi Ionepine77.
    I empathise with your feelings about buzzing head v. tablet reduction.
    No way am I trying to take over Dr Horne, but for me, the tiniest reduction, sometimes a week or two at a time was the only way, to not feel any withdrawal effects.

• Sleepio Member

• 341 comments
    • 25 helped
    Graduate

Oh, that's early! It is difficult adjusting to a new routine (for the teachers and children alike!). Before my children started back, I tried to gradually get them to bed earlier each night over a week or so and gradually woke them earlier in the morning. A similar gradual approach might help you (e.g. getting up at 7.45, then 15 minutes earlier each day until the required rise time- while also retiring to bed 15 mins earlier). Good luck and I'm sure you'll be fine.

• Sleepio Member

• 341 comments
    • 25 helped
    Graduate

Thanks Marigold. You are an expert in your own right! We may have knowledge of research evidence and guidelines but you and the other members who have taken sleeping pills to help with sleep difficulties have an understanding of the way they make you feel etc and what it's like trying to reduce or stop them. I value your input. Thanks

• Sleepio Member

• 341 comments
    • 25 helped
    Graduate

Well that's us for this evening folks. Thanks for joining the session and for your interesting comments, questions and suggestions. Sleep well!

• Sleepio Member

• 680 comments
    • 138 helped
    Graduate

Good night everyone – sleep well!

Thank you Dr Horne!

• Sleepio Member

• 65 comments
    • 24 helped
    Graduate

Thank you Kirsty. Any and all suggestions and comments are much appreciated. Yes, it is very much an individual experience and I will be talking to my MD about this. One question to ask him is, if there has been success stories (like Marigold) with sleeping pill reduction, or even sleeping pill free!

• Sleepio Member

• 65 comments
    • 24 helped
    Graduate

Hi Marigold, thank you for your imput. Kudos to you for successful sleeping pill reduction! I will be working with my MD soon about this matter.

Ps: (sorry to hear you may be moving on)

Return to top