Live Discussion with Dr Kirsty Horne - 1st May

Dr Horne will be hosting a live online discussion here on Wednesday 1st May 7pm-8pm (GMT).

She will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour, starting with the most popular questions with answers being given in a way to give the most benefit to the general Community.

To have a say in which questions are answered, either:
+ post a question or comment ahead of the discussion, by clicking the blue ‘Add a comment’ button; or
+ vote on other people’s questions, by clicking the blue ‘Yes’ button underneath the relevant comment.

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to 'refresh' this discussion page.

To do this:

- On PC hit 'Ctrl' and 'R' or the 'F5' key
- On Mac hit 'Command' or 'Apple' and 'R'

Posted 25 Apr 2013 at 10:16 AM
  • 36 comments
  • 10 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 208 comments
    • 62 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Graduate

Maxwell I am 66 and had sleep problems for over 30 years, and it was interesting when I started getting better at sleeping to find that my “normal” sleep pattern had changed so I slept for a shorter time than I had done when I last slept well (6 hours rather than 7-8) and with broken sleep in the 2nd half of the night. Having looked into it a bit further that is totally within the normal range for my age group. It made me wonder if you have had it confirmed that you actually do have a sleep disorder as at 79 you would expect to have quite short and broken sleep anyway.

• Sleepio Member

• 341 comments
    • 25 helped
    Graduate

Hi Anaven, good question. My advice would be to try and stick to regular bed and rise times as much as possible. You can puts tags your diary for the nights you are up later or if they are infrequent then it’s fine not to record them. If you can avoid these later nights whilst doing the programme, that would be ideal, however, if this is not possible, try to go back to your set bedtime the following night and follow the other rules (such as not lying in bed awake for lengthy periods, not napping through the day, getting up at your usual rising time etc). Your sleep window would not be shortened unless your sleep efficiency started decreasing (i.e. you were beginning to wake more through the night, have difficulty falling asleep or waking too early). Hope this helps!

• Sleepio Member

• 12 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Many thanks valkaye for your comment. I had minor sleeping problems for several years but was able to manage with very occasional use of medication. However, after a very severe cold, my sleeping became much, much worse, with frequent entirely sleepless nights, which left me feeling very listless and fatigued, so I do think that my condition is not really natural.

• Sleepio Member

• 208 comments
    • 62 helped
    Graduate

yes that doesn't sound natural! But are you sure you are physically well now?

• Sleepio Member

• 12 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

My GP can find nothing wrong with me – I'm not on any medication other than sleeping pills, which I try to take as infrequently as possible.

• Sleepio Member

• 341 comments
    • 25 helped
    Graduate

Hi Maxwell, sorry to hear you are struggling. It might be reassuring for you to know that most people find this part of the course the most challenging and people often report feeling worse before feeling better. I have heard people reporting flu-like symptoms etc. If you manage to stick with it, you should begin to experience the gains of a more consolidated, more restful, longer sleep. 5 hours is a short sleep window however, I think 6 hours minimum might be better for you- we can arrange to have this re-set for you, which should help a bit. The community are also here to support you if you are struggling. Good luck!

• Sleepio Member

• 341 comments
    • 25 helped
    Graduate

Hi Nicky, thanks for your question and sorry to hear you are struggling so much. You’re right, insomnia can have an impact on mood and vice versa. Having chronic fatigue as well must make things really difficult for you. I think resting during the day and having a short nap if you need to would be fine providing it’s not in your bed. So, lying down for a while on the couch, for example might help. Pacing your activities during the day can also help preserve energy levels. If you have not already done so, I would advise consulting with your GP and considering further help for low mood and CFS.

• Sleepio Member

• 12 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Many thanks for the advice. I did think of increasing it myself, but it would be better to have it done officially.

• Sleepio Member

• 341 comments
    • 25 helped
    Graduate

Hi again Nicky, that sounds frightening for you. Hopefully as you work through the Sleepio programme your sleep deprivation should reduce so that this happens to you less frequently. Have you had your thyroid functioning checked recently to rule this out? Was there a period of time where this did not occur? If so, I wonder what might have triggered it again? Have you tried relaxation techniques prior to retiring to bed?

• Sleepio Member

• 341 comments
    • 25 helped
    Graduate

Hi WestCoasterLiz, thanks for your question. I’m glad you’re doing well with SR. Based on what you say, I would suggest going to bed a little later in the hope that you will wake up later in the morning. Also, I would advise persevering with it as it can take a while to re-establish your sleep pattern.

• Sleepio Member

• 341 comments
    • 25 helped
    Graduate

You're welcome Maxwell, we'll get that done for you no problem.

• Sleepio Member

• 15 comments
    • 5 helped
    Graduate

Thanks Dr Horne. I think pacing and structured breaks seem to be a common theme across all the advice, and perhaps the Thought Checker is pretty relevant to all three things. Exercise and eating well also help, but tricky to remember the right advice and juggle all the different things all the time :) I guess a little bit of everything, and getting a balance is best.

• Sleepio Member

• 341 comments
    • 25 helped
    Graduate

You're welcome Nicky. It sounds like you're juggling a lot just now. I would definitely recommend speaking to your GP to ensure there are no other underlying physical health problems and try to focus on one thing at a time. Improving your sleep should help with the other difficulties also.

• Sleepio Member

• 15 comments
    • 5 helped
    Graduate

Thanks again Dr Holme re anxiety & panic. Yes there has been a gap of about 6 years since it was a real problem. Only happening a hand full of times since. Just began again while starting the sleep restriction, and feeling very very drowsy for the 3 hours up to bed time and having to force myself awake. Hopefully you are right that once i've gotten into a good pattern then the body will calm down with the adrenaline :) I have tried the relaxation techniques but sometimes i find that in trying to breath slowly in a more relaxed fashion i get out of breath as the heart is beating a little too strongly. Will get the thyroid checked again. I wondered if it might be an old physiological association between bed and panic that might need to be broken somehow, from the expectation that when super tired that you are less in control of your body.

• Sleepio Member

• 341 comments
    • 25 helped
    Graduate

Hi Nicky, you might be right- you possibly have developed an association with anxiety and sleep/bed. I see you are in session 3 of the programme. Over the next few weeks you will learn other techniques to help you relax and begin to associate your bed with sleep and relaxation again. It may take time, but try to stick with it- good luck!

• Sleepio Member

• 341 comments
    • 25 helped
    Graduate

That's us for this evening, thanks for joining us and sleep well!

• Sleepio Member

• 208 comments
    • 62 helped
    Graduate

good night all sleep well

• Sleepio Member

• 15 comments
    • 5 helped
    Graduate

Ok! Ready to work hard. Looking forward to sleeping like a pro! Thanks for your help. Much appreciated.

• Sleepio Member

• 868 comments
    • 269 helped
    Graduate

“Hi, NickyGibson, I'm a Sleepio Grad and am slowly recovering from ME/CFS. I'll post on your own page if I may. There is also a topic on this subject that you can consult here on Sleepio.

• Sleepio Member

• 868 comments
    • 269 helped
    Graduate

NickyGibson,
    The actual topic is Sleep problems with post viral fatigue / ME / CFS

Return to top