Live Discussion with Dr Kirsty Horne - 12th June

Dr Horne will be hosting a live online discussion here on Wednesday 12th June 7pm-8pm (GMT).

She will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour, starting with the most popular questions with answers being given in a way to give the most benefit to the general Community.

To have a say in which questions are answered, either:
+ post a question or comment ahead of the discussion, by clicking the blue ‘Add a comment’ button; or
+ vote on other people’s questions, by clicking the blue ‘Yes’ button underneath the relevant comment.

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to 'refresh' this discussion page.

To do this:

- On PC hit 'Ctrl' and 'R' or the 'F5' key
- On Mac hit 'Command' or 'Apple' and 'R'

Posted 7 Jun 2013 at 1:02 PM
  • 49 comments
  • 6 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 74 comments
    • 17 helped
    Graduate

I have tried listening to mindfulness techniques or an audio book and some podcasts. My eyes seem to sleepy to read. I do tend to feel very sleepy and sometimes nod off but then when I get back into bed I don't seem to be able to go to sleep and then get up again. To wind down before bed I watch some TV nothing stimulating and no news that usually works quite well on a good night. Last night I did begin to feel quite anxious and finally gave up and got back into bed. Not sure if I slept much then or not. Sometimes I can't seem to tell if I am asleep or not.

• Sleepio Member

• 682 comments
    • 139 helped
    Graduate

No questions tonight! Managing to sleep well most nights – still quite a novelty really!

• Sleepio Member

• 682 comments
    • 139 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Graduate

Hi HarryBear it's really frustrating when you just can't seem to get to sleep. Have you got a lot on your mind at the moment?

• Sleepio Member

• 341 comments
    • 25 helped
    Graduate

It sounds like you are anxious about being awake and the possibility of not being able to get back to sleep quickly- which will make it more difficult to sleep. What about trying relaxation techniques (autogenic or progressive) also whilst doing the QHR?

• Sleepio Member

• 215 comments
    • 35 helped
    Graduate

Me too laureloakwood! I mean the novelty of sleeping. Even when I sleep less well it's maybe six hours not four and the quality has improved overall too. It was a holiday in Greece that sorted me out – tho I think the Sleepio groundwork allowed that to happen!!

• Sleepio Member

• 341 comments
    • 25 helped
    Graduate

great to hear laureloakwood! feel free to share what worked best for you with the others

• Sleepio Member

• 682 comments
    • 139 helped
    Graduate

Good to hear another success story! :-)

• Sleepio Member

• 341 comments
    • 25 helped
    Graduate

great to hear Polly Sleep- it would be good if the course included a trip to Greece at the end! I wonder if just being away from work/ normal schedule helped reduce some of the pressure to sleep and helped you give up concern about being awake through the night?

• Sleepio Member

• 682 comments
    • 139 helped
    Graduate

I think what worked best was letting all that sleep pressure build up until I couldn't stay awake any longer!! It was really hard at the start but so worth it now

• Sleepio Member

• 341 comments
    • 25 helped
    Graduate

I hope that's reassuring for others who are struggling with this stage of the programme just now- stick with it everyone- it works!! (short-term pain for long-term gain)

• Sleepio Member

• 215 comments
    • 35 helped
    Graduate

I do still recognise the need for care about relaxation before bed, not just going to bed and getting up any old time, using my relaxation recordings when needed, and being pro-active when sleep isn't coming… but generally I have returned to my old ability to sleep mostly pretty well – tho I am a light sleeper and always wake during the night at least once and never expect to change that. I have taken to eye mask and earplugs every night and this helps especially on these early light mornings

• Sleepio Member

• 341 comments
    • 25 helped
    Graduate

Thanks for sharing Polly Sleep

• Sleepio Member

• 215 comments
    • 35 helped
    Graduate

yes somehow in Greece I was able to let go and really deeply relax, and sleep followed… after a patchy first night I never looked back :-)

• Sleepio Member

• 682 comments
    • 139 helped
    Graduate

ear plugs are great, but I prefer blackout lining to my curtains and a daylight alarm clock to wake up gently

• Sleepio Member

• 341 comments
    • 25 helped
    Graduate

sounds lovely and relaxing! possibly helped break the cycle

• Sleepio Member

• 1136 comments
    • 211 helped
    Graduate

I ffoundthat I needed to use the tools for a few months, slowly dropping them and keeping going with the indispensable ones_

• Sleepio Member

• 215 comments
    • 35 helped
    Graduate

Definitley – a sense of rebooting the sleep brain

• Sleepio Member

• 341 comments
    • 25 helped
    Graduate

Well that's us for tonight everyone. Thanks again for joining and sleep well! Nice to hear some success stories also, thanks for sharing!

• Sleepio Member

• 682 comments
    • 139 helped
    Graduate

Goodnight everyone, sleep well xx

• Sleepio Member

• 1136 comments
    • 211 helped
    Graduate

Guess you are going now Dr Horne, thank you for your help.

Return to top