Live Discussion with Dr Kirsty Horne - 10th July

Dr Horne will be hosting a live online discussion here on Wednesday 10th July 7pm-8pm (GMT).

She will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour, starting with the most popular questions with answers being given in a way to give the most benefit to the general Community.

To have a say in which questions are answered, either:
+ post a question or comment ahead of the discussion, by clicking the blue ‘Add a comment’ button; or
+ vote on other people’s questions, by clicking the blue ‘Yes’ button underneath the relevant comment.

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to 'refresh' this discussion page.

To do this:

- On PC hit 'Ctrl' and 'R' or the 'F5' key
- On Mac hit 'Command' or 'Apple' and 'R'

Posted 4 Jul 2013 at 10:42 AM
  • 41 comments
  • 2 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 341 comments
    • 25 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Graduate

I see what you mean- that does sound difficult. I know some Sleepio members have used Apps and the Jawbone Up device to help complete sleep diaries, although I am unsure of their accuracy and we would always recommend going with the subjective estimate if there was any discrepancy.

• Sleepio Member

• 19 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I find that after only a couple of hours sleep in the night it is impossible to operate as a normal human being. All I want to do is lock myself away from the world. This is not healthy as I do not get my normal daily exercise and I think you could easily become depressed. However if I have a thirty minute nap it can be sufficient to get through the day and inevitably the next night is better than two hours.

• Sleepio Member

• 341 comments
    • 25 helped
    Graduate

That's good you don't look at the clock through the night as that can increase anxiety and frustration, making it more difficult to return to sleep

• Sleepio Member

• 26 comments
    • 14 helped
    Graduate

Thank you for your response! I'm in week 5 of Sleepio – is it normal to still be waking up during the night at this point in the course? My sleep efficiency (estimated, as I mentioned) right now is around 87% but I worry about how often I wake up and also that I frequently wake up before my alarm.

• Sleepio Member

• 341 comments
    • 25 helped
    Graduate

It sounds like your sleep is continuing to improve gradually then. You can do relaxation in bed or prior to bed- in your case it might be a good idea to start doing it in bed to increase the association between bed and relaxation. Is your bedroom environment relaxing? If not, it might be worth having a de-clutter and investing in some new bedding, cushions, candles etc to make it a nice, relaxing environment to be in. With paradoxical intention, the idea is to give up any concern about being awake and give up any effort to sleep (actually try to enjoy being awake rather than seeing it as negative and stressful), when you feel like you are about to fall asleep, just keep your eyes opened and try to gently stay awake for another couple of minutes (just to change the focus and decrease effort and associated frustration of trying to sleep and not managing)

• Sleepio Member

• 19 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Sorry to go on about this but sometimes when I talk about a nap I really mean closing my eyes and relaxing but not a deep sleep. Without getting into this in a daily basis would the odd 'nap' be allowed

• Sleepio Member

• 9 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I'm following the programme strictly and using the techniques, including the cognitive techniques and this has helped. I find progressive relaxation very useful. The number of times I wake during the night seems to to random – some nights twice, others three and others four – so I cannot see any pattern to the awakenings. Is this in line with what most other people experience?

• Sleepio Member

• 341 comments
    • 25 helped
    Graduate

Hi Nan, it sounds like your sleep difficulty is having a big impact upon your functioning. It’s important to look after yourself and if you do think you may be depressed, speak to your GP for some advice. Do your best not to isolate yourself and try to keep up some gentle exercise even when you don’t feel like it. Would it be possible for you to take time off from your normal daily routine/ responsibilities to focus on your sleep for a week or so? This might make it easier to do the programme as it can be demanding and difficult to implement at times- it is short-term pain for long-term gain. If you are excessively sleepy during the day then try to have a short nap for no longer than 15 minutes if possible. Remember the community are here to support you also.

• Sleepio Member

• 341 comments
    • 25 helped
    Graduate

yes, it is quite normal- it can take many weeks for your sleep to improve, particularly if you have had sleep difficulties for a long time. You should start to notice fewer awakenings in time if you manage to persevere, good luck

• Sleepio Member

• 74 comments
    • 17 helped
    Graduate

Bedroom is very relaxing. Thanks for advice very useful. Will experiment.

• Sleepio Member

• 341 comments
    • 25 helped
    Graduate

Hi Nan, if you are talking about short naps of 15 minutes or less then I think this would be fine, provided they are not too frequent or for too long as this will decrease sleep pressure at night, making it more difficult to fall asleep or more likely you will wake through the night.

• Sleepio Member

• 341 comments
    • 25 helped
    Graduate

That's great you are using the techniques. Do you know what is causing you to wake up? Everyone's experience is different depending on unique circumstances, however, overall, the evidence shows that when the strategies are strictly implemented, gradual improvements are observed.

• Sleepio Member

• 341 comments
    • 25 helped
    Graduate

Glad to hear it HarryBear, let us know how you get on.

• Sleepio Member

• 341 comments
    • 25 helped
    Graduate

also, have you tried a later bed time to see if you sleep until your alarm?

• Sleepio Member

• 9 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Thanks. I'm in week 4 of the programme and optimistic that if I stick with it I'll experience improvement.

• Sleepio Member

• 341 comments
    • 25 helped
    Graduate

I'm sure you will Margaret! Good luck with it. Keep us posted.

• Sleepio Member

• 19 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I wake three times most nights and have no worries in my life. I feel my problem is more physical and plan to check ou keep apnea

• Sleepio Member

• 341 comments
    • 25 helped
    Graduate

Okay, that's us for tonight folks. Thanks for joining us and sleep well!

• Sleepio Member

• 341 comments
    • 25 helped
    Graduate

Sounds like a good plan Nan- just to rule out anything physical. There are devices that can help if you do have sleep apnea (snoring, breathing pauses and excessive daytime sleepiness)- also, the usual advice would be not to drive if excessively sleepy during the day.

• Sleepio Member

• 341 comments
    • 25 helped
    Graduate

Good night everyone!

Return to top