Live discussion with Dr John Cape 25th May 2016

Dr Cape will be hosting a live online discussion here on Wednesday 25th May, from 7:00pm to 8:15pm British Standard Time or 2:00pm to 3:15pm US Eastern Standard Time.

He will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour and a half and, as always, you are welcome to ask any questions at all about sleep or the Sleepio program.

Please do note that, as per our guidelines, Dr Cape will not be able to give personal medical advice. His replies to questions will be made in such a way as to help as many people as possible who might have similar issues.

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to refresh this discussion page.

To do this:

On PC hit CTRL and R keys or the F5 key
On Mac hit CMD and R

Posted 21 May 2016 at 4:41 PM
  • 12 comments
  • 0 helped

Comments

• Sleepio Member

• 11 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

I have been following the sleepio program for several months now and off imovane for 6 weeks but my sleep is was improving and now is not good again.
    I am up until 3-4am and up for the day at 6am to go to work. I broke down last night and took an imovane but have only done this twice in 3 weeks. When can I hope to see improvement and start feeling and sleeping alittle longer. Everytime I try to lie down to sleep I get panicky.

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 2

What time is BST? I live in California on Pacific Time.

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Any advice regarding how to improve sleep quality when sleep efficiency has been achieved.

• Sleepio Member

• 302 comments
    • 72 helped
    Expert

Hello everyone. Welcome to this live session. I look forward to answering your questions and having some discussion. There have only been a couple of questions posted earlier. I shall get on to these. But let me know if you are online and want to post a question

• Sleepio Member

• 302 comments
    • 72 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Expert

Hi. Sorry I realise that BST wont make sense to a lot of people. It is British Standard Time, currently 8 hours in advance of US Pacific time

• Sleepio Member

• 302 comments
    • 72 helped
    Expert

Hi
    Good to hear that you found your sleep improved following the Sleepio programme, although now it is now not good again and you are waking up early. You say that you stopped using Imovane (zopiclone) 6 weeks ago and I wondered if this was linked in time with deterioration in sleep. Coming off sleeping medication it is common to get renewed sleep difficulties. But finding a return of sleep difficulties after a period of improvement is very common anyway. “Set backs” are the norm, rather than the exception and learning to take them in ones stride and not get too alarmed by them is for many people key to stable improvement. Because of course if one gets alarmed by a set back, this then can make one panicky and the panic of course then interferes with sleep. Nights of not sleeping so well are common even for good sleepers and they take them in their stride and don’t worry about them. But for people who have had sleep problems, it is easy to get worried, alarmed and panicky. In terms of what to do, it is going back to what worked previously in going through the Sleepio programme. Many people find it useful to look through the sessions and remind themselves of what they covered previously. The different techniques for managing thoughts covered in sessions 4 & 5 may be particularly relevant.

• Sleepio Member

• 302 comments
    • 72 helped
    Expert

Hi
    You are asking about how to improve sleep quality when sleep efficiency has been achieved. Well, it would be helpful to hear more about in what way sleep is not quality for you now. In terms of the Sleepio programme, as you will be aware, when sleep efficiency is 90% or more, then Sleepio suggests a longer sleep window and when sleep efficiency for the longer window has reached 90% then the window is extended again until people eventually get to a window which is the optimum length for them. This can take some time. In general terms, subjective sleep quality improves along with sleep efficiency, and this was found in the published study that evaluated the effectiveness of Sleepio. But for some people, quality of sleep (so called “non-restorative sleep”) is their main problem. The following article in the Sleepio library discusses this: https://www.sleepio.com/library/article/how-to-get-a-good-nights-sleep/.

• Sleepio Member

• 302 comments
    • 72 helped
    Expert

Any questions or comments? We still have plenty of time.

• Sleepio Member

• 35 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Hi
    I used to always be able to go to sleep but always awoke about 3/4:00. Occasionally I wouldn't get back to sleep. Following several weeks of flu virus my sleep pattern became disrupted. After a few nights of worrying about it, anxiety kicked in and now I need a sleeping pill to get to sleep. ( never had this before)
    I worry about this and have tried without them but have little sleep. How do I wean off them please?

• Sleepio Member

• 302 comments
    • 72 helped
    Expert

Hi
    Illnesses are a very common cause of sleep disturbance and can sometime leads to longer term sleep problems as a result of worry about not sleeping or getting into poor sleep habits. Sounds from your description that something along these lines happened to you. In terms of sleeping medication, it is always important to discuss this with your prescriber as they will know your particular circumstances and history. In terms of the Sleepio course, it is equally effective for people taking sleeping medication and for those not. For people deciding with their prescriber to come off medication, some wait until after sleep has improved after the Sleepio course while others withdraw from sleeping medication while going through the course. Prescribers often suggest people withdraw slowly (taking say three quarters of the dose for a number of nights, then half the dose etc), but again what is best can depend on peoples circumstances so we always recommend people discuss this with their presciber

• Sleepio Member

• 302 comments
    • 72 helped
    Expert

OK. We have come to to the end of our time for today. There will be another live session as usual next Wednesday at the same time (2.00pm US Eastern Standard Time; 7.00pm British Standard Time). So is you have any further questions, watch out for when that session is announced in the Sleepio Community and post away

• Sleepio Member

• 35 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Thank you that really helps me to understand.

Return to top