Live discussion with Dr John Cape - 6th January 2016

Dr Cape will be hosting a live online discussion here on Wednesday 6th January 2016, 7pm-8.30pm BST.

He will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour and a half and, as always, you’re welcome to ask any questions at all about sleep or the Sleepio program. Please do note however that, as per our guidelines, Dr Cape won’t be able to give personal medical advice. His replies to questions will be made in such a way as to help as many people as possible who might have similar issues.

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to 'refresh' this discussion page.

To do this:

- On PC hit 'Ctrl' and 'R' or the 'F5' key – On Mac hit 'Command' or 'Apple' and 'R'

Posted 31 Dec 2015 at 3:05 PM
  • 20 comments
  • 0 helped

Comments

• Sleepio Member

• 5 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 3

I am uncertain about starting Sleep Restriction because I also have Nocturia resulting from an enlarged prostate, waking me up to three or more times a night, despite taking advice about restricting caffeine and not drinking anything after 7pm.
    I am also 60, another reason the rigours of Sleep Restriction fill me with apprehension.
    Any advice? Thank you.
    Pablo60

• Sleepio Member

• 5 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 3

Trevor,

Thanks a lot for your very helpful comments. Within two weeks I shall do a 2- week meditation retreat, and I think the rigours of Sleep Restriction will interfere with that, so I'll consider doing SR after that.

Many thanks once again.
    Pablo60

• Sleepio Member

• 6 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Hi.
    If something happens to my schedule such as, needing to go early to work or getting to bed late due to work, can I change my Sleep window with same length?
    Or do I fix the sleep window as is and sleep late get up at the same time or sleep at the same time and get up early.
    Thank you

• Sleepio Member

• 10 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Hi, I started Sleepio 6 weeks ago. The first two weeks I slept well with no pills, then started SR. The first 2 nights were dreadful but after that again I slept well with no pills. However, for the last week it has been awful, I cannot get off to sleep so am back to taking pills and even then I don't feel as if I have had enough sleep and feel dreadful during the day. I feel as if I am in a vicious circle where my worry about not sleeping is what is causing the problem. I have tried to stick to the programme and really thought I was making progress but now feel that I am back to square 1. Comments please.

• Sleepio Member

• 230 comments
    • 44 helped
    Expert

Hello everyone. Welcome to this live session. I look forward to answering your questions and having some discussion. There have been a few questions posted earlier. Let me know if you are on line now and posted a question earlier by posting a quick “Hello I am here, I posted a question earlier” and I shall try and get to that sooner. And if you have just logged on and want to pop a question, go right ahead

• Sleepio Member

• 5 comments
    • 0 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Session 3

Hi John,

I am Pablo60 and posted a question earlier.

• Sleepio Member

• 230 comments
    • 44 helped
    Expert

Hi Pablo60
    Yes needing to get up more in the night to go the toilet is common for men with age. I see one of the graduates has already replied helpfully to you on your profile. As with all sorts of things that can wake people more and require them to get up more in the night, the key issue is getting back to sleep rather than just the fact of being woken up and/or having to get up more in the night. Being worried about waking up can lead to it being difficult to get back to sleep; but if someone isn’t worried, then being woken up and/or needing to get up more in the night doesn't need to be more than an irritant. So your question is relevant to all sorts of people who do have external factors that wake them up or require them to get up frequently in the night (e.g. having a baby or small child who needs attending to)

I entirely appreciate your concern that sleep restriction is going to be tough, but age and prostate troubles should not add to that. With age the body needs less sleep, so adjusting expectations about amount of sleep can be an issue with age.

All the best with the sleep restriction. I suspect you may have started it already as your post was almost a week ago. Do share your experiences in another live expert session or one of the other Sleepio community discussion fora as to how you get on

• Sleepio Member

• 5 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 3

Thanks John

• Sleepio Member

• 230 comments
    • 44 helped
    Expert

Hi theshock
    Good question about whether to change the timing of your sleep window in response to changes in your work schedule or other commitments. In general it is better to stick with the same time window if the time changes would not be that great and this is realistic/possible in terms of your life. But where this is not possible and/or the time changes are larger, then it makes sense to change the timing of the window. The key thing is NOT to change the LENGTH of the sleep window, which as I can see from your post that you fully appreciate. So if someone’s window is from 12- 6 (6 hours) and their work schedule means they have to start work for a few days at 6.30 am, then keep the 6 hour length but go to bed earlier (so the sleep window temporarily becomes say 10.30pm – 4.30am). There is an article in the Sleepio Library about how you can shift the timing of your sleep window on the schedule in your case file if you want to do this, but you can just go ahead and do this anyway without making this change:
    https://www.sleepio.com/library/article/how-to-shift-your-sleep-window/

• Sleepio Member

• 230 comments
    • 44 helped
    Expert

You're welcome, Pablo60. Hope it goes well for you

• Sleepio Member

• 230 comments
    • 44 helped
    Expert

Hi Carolann
    Really pleased you posted this query as it is such a common problem. You feel good as you make progress with sleep in the programme and then it all seems to fall apart. Having a bad nights sleep or a few bad nights sleep after sleeping better is bound to happen, but when you have suffered with sleep problems this almost inevitably leads to disappointment and fears that your sleep will never get better. You describe it so well –getting into a vicious cycle where worry about not sleeping causes the problem and ending up feeling you are back at square 1. What to do? Nothing else than keep with the techniques you have learned doing the programme – going back and looking over them and putting them into practice. After a few set backs, it becomes easier to realise when this happens that it is just a few bad nights rather than the old pattern returning. But this takes a long time – old patterns around sleep including thoughts about not sleeping take time to get fully laid to rest.
    All the best with it and thanks again for your post

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Hi
    I am finding sleepio really helpful thank you. I just have a question about regulating my nighttime temperature. It is a regular occurrence that i wake, drenched in sweat. Could it relate to my anxiety, diet, hormones or is it just me? We have the heating turned off, window open pretty much all year and i sleep under a separate summer duvet. All blood tests have always come back ok. I would just like a better understanding, if possible. Thanks Jane

• Sleepio Member

• 230 comments
    • 44 helped
    Expert

It's gone a bit quiet. Anyone want to post a question or share anything? There is some evidence that posting questions and sharing experiences in the Sleepio community leads to people getting more out of the programme and making more progress towards their sleep goals. So worth a try if you are new to posting!

• Sleepio Member

• 230 comments
    • 44 helped
    Expert

Hi Jastarky
    Thanks for your question about night sweats. There can be specific medical or life cycle reasons for night sweats, for example the menopause, so checking out these with a medical practitioner as you have done is sensible. Making sure the room is not overheated as you describe is also sensible. But some people experience night sweats for no apparent reason and there is even a medical term for this – nocturnal idiopathic hyperhidrosis. For this condition, there is no treatment that I am aware of but, for such people, it can be reassuring sometimes just to be aware that this is a known condition with no known consequences other than lots of wet sheets!

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Thank you. My over heating has definately become worse with age, looking forward to the menopause (not!). Also, should I be getting up from bed as soon as I wake in the morning? I have not managed to yet effective if I've had a good sleep.

• Sleepio Member

• 230 comments
    • 44 helped
    Expert

Hi again
    Yes I can imagine you aren't looking forward to the menopause! In terms of your question about getting out of bed as soon as you wake up, this depends on whether the time you wake up is after the end of your sleep window. If it is, then yes you should get up. If not (say you wake up at 5.00am and your sleep window ends at 6.00am) then stay in bed and see if you go to sleep again; if you don't after 15 minutes then get up so you are not lying awake too long in bed and go back to bed again when you are sleepy tired (this is the Quarter of an Hour rule described in the programme). But maybe I haven't understood your question?

• Sleepio Member

• 230 comments
    • 44 helped
    Expert

Well we have come to the end of our time for today. There will be another live session as usual next Wednesday. Thanks for all your interesting posts

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Yes, that answers my question thank you.

• Sleepio Member

• 47 comments
    • 17 helped
    Graduate

Pablo – you have the same problem that I had that lead me here. I had an enlarged prostate that had me up three or four times a night. I tried to treat it with medication. I finally insisted that my urologist do surgery – its called TURP here in the States. I had a great result with no sexual side effects at all. It was the best thing I ever did.

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 3

Hi Dr. I am on first week of sleepio program and recording my sleeping pattern. Though I am taking anti anxiety pills and melatonin. I'd that ok?

Return to top