Live discussion with Dr John Cape - 11th January 2017

Dr Cape will be hosting a live online discussion here on Wednesday 11th January, from 7:00pm to 8:30pm British Standard Time or 2:00pm to 3:30pm US Eastern Standard Time.

He will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour and a half and, as always, you are welcome to ask any questions at all about sleep or the Sleepio program. If there are a lot of questions, he may not be able to answer all in the time available, but will try to answer as many as he can.

Please do note that, as per our guidelines, Dr Cape will not be able to give personal medical advice. His replies to questions will be made in such a way as to help as many people as possible who might have similar issues.

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to refresh this discussion page.

To do this:

On PC hit CTRL and R keys or the F5 key
On Mac hit CMD and R

Posted 5 Jan 2017 at 1:39 PM
  • 58 comments
  • 7 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 475 comments
    • 101 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Expert

Interesting question. When sleep problems have started in response to stress or some other factor and the stress then resolves, then it can happen that sleep returns to normal without the need for special attention or techniques. This certainly happens a lot for short-term stress and sleep problems. When sleep has been disturbed for longer in response to stress, then it is more likely that sleep habits develop which maintain sleep disturbance even after the stress resolves. It is certainly OK to experiment and abandon the sleep restriction regimen for 2-3 days and see if sleep is OK; if not, the regimen can be picked up again

• Sleepio Member

• 21 comments
    • 3 helped
    Graduate

I don't know about you, but this heavy cold and the following cough are making me exhausted. I've never ever felt like sleeping during the daay, but at the moment I can fall asleep when I just sit down with a cuppa at the end of that day.
    What with sleep restriction and the cold I'm so tired I don#t know if I have the strength to carry on – all I want to do is crawl into bed and feel sorry for myself.
    With absolutely no energy to spart – how do I get out of this?

• Sleepio Member

• 475 comments
    • 101 helped
    Expert

Hi again. You ask if it is possible to avoid dreaming. The quick answer is no. Everybody has dream sleep (called rapid eye movement or REM sleep) and indeed most animals do as well. But not everybody remembers dreaming. For some people, of course, their dreams are disturbing (nightmares) and can be a problem.

• Sleepio Member

• 21 comments
    • 3 helped
    Graduate

How do I ask a question? I don't seem to be getting any answers

• Sleepio Member

• 475 comments
    • 101 helped
    In reply to a deleted comment
    Expert

Hi. You say the programme has shown that you need around six and a half hours sleep a night. I am not sure what you have picked up where it says this. Maybe you could explain? The sleep restriction sleep window set by the programme is increased every time that someone has 90% sleep efficiency over a period of time. Generally, eventually people reach a length of sleep window that suits them and/or feel their sleep is settled and stable and they no longer need to stick with the sleep window. But it sounds like you have not reached that point as if your sleep efficiency for six and a half hours was over 90% then the sleep window would have been increased.

Thanks also for you comments about the need for Sleepio to include more repetition and reinforcement of ideas. Very helpful. Do you feel the “watch again” videos in the Sleepio Library for each session are not comprehensive enough? Anything specific you missed?

• Sleepio Member

• 475 comments
    • 101 helped
    Expert

Sorry, I shall get to you, but have been dealing with some other questions first

• Sleepio Member

• 475 comments
    • 101 helped
    Expert

Hi again. Thanks for your question about what to do about Sleepio when you are ill. It is certainly always possible to pause, have a day or two off (or even a few weeks for a more major illness), and then pick it up again. This won’t necessarily disrupt progress much. Certainly people shouldn’t feel bad if they don't stick to their schedule when they are ill – feeling bad and thinking you have failed or that you have blown it is much more likely to set someone back (causing worry and poor sleep) than the fact of not following the schedule for a day or two.

• Sleepio Member

• 21 comments
    • 3 helped
    Graduate

I see – its my internet provider which keeps 'not responding' so forget my comment.

• Sleepio Member

• 475 comments
    • 101 helped
    Expert

Sounds like you are at a similar point to m69, both having started sleep restriction in the last couple of weeks and now having a terrible cold. You will see I have just replied to that post and I guess the same might be relevant to you. A brief break from the rigours of the sleep restriction sleep window to look after oneself can be important.

• Sleepio Member

• 6 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I wish I knew- I'm awaiting a response from the expert. I started with the “Queen's cough” on Sunday and now have the mother of a!l colds. So now it's now 8pm and I should be up for another 4.5 hrs or so but I can barely keep my eyes open. Like you I just want to go to bed feeling sorry for myself. I have a grand plan to take myself off to bed shortly with a dose of Nightnurse but am curious to see what the official response is. I have been coping with SR till now but this is like some form of particularly barbaric torture…

• Sleepio Member

• 475 comments
    • 101 helped
    Expert

Hi, I responded earlier this session to a user’s question who also has had disturbed sleep again following doing well (although not as a result of a cough – lots of coughs and illness around this evening). You might want to have a look at my response. If finding it difficult to get back on track, then going back to what worked previously should get you back on track (more quickly than first time round) and this could include going back to sleep restriction

• Sleepio Member

• 475 comments
    • 101 helped
    Expert

Sessions 4 and 5 cover a number of techniques with a view to people exploring them and finding a couple that work well for them. So just ignore the one that is not possible for you.

• Sleepio Member

• 475 comments
    • 101 helped
    Expert

I hope you have now seen my reply and that it is fine for people to look after themselves and have a brief break from the programme

• Sleepio Member

• 6 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Oh what a relief. I don't think it's possible to build up more sleep pressure than I'm currently under. Im bowing out for a day or two but will definitely be back to it when I'm better. Thanks for the response.

• Sleepio Member

• 475 comments
    • 101 helped
    Expert

Thanks so much for your post responding to the user asking about other peoples experience of changes in eating times while going through the programme

• Sleepio Member

• 7 comments
    • 3 helped
    Graduate

Thanks Dr Cape for your reassurance about slipping back into the old ways after weeks of so much improvement. It's frightening when you suddenly plummet into the old ways after following a program that you've learnt to trust. Won't be so scared if/when it happens again.

• Sleepio Member

• 475 comments
    • 101 helped
    In reply to a deleted comment
    Expert

Thanks for clarifying. Try this link for the thought blocking (“the the”) technique: https://www.sleepio.com/library/area/session5/
    You should fine there a video clip explaining the thought blocking technique.

And for jet lag, try this:https://www.sleepio.com/articles/jetlag/

Get back if you have difficulty accessing these

• Sleepio Member

• 475 comments
    • 101 helped
    Expert

Yes, can indeed be very frightening feeling you are going back to the beginning. But once it has happened a few times and you have come out of it, then the next time it happens it isn't so frightening and, because it is not so frightening, people come out of it more quickly

• Sleepio Member

• 475 comments
    • 101 helped
    Expert

OK. We have come to the end of our time for today. Thanks for all your questions. Next Wednesday there will be another live discussion session as every Wednesday. All the best

• Sleepio Member

• 29 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 4

I must say I slept thru this session
    It was a good nap but I'm woke mow but going to have warm glass of milk. I think I can get back to sleep.

Return to top