Live Discussion with Dr Jen Kanady - 18th March 2020

Dr Kanady will be hosting a live online discussion here on Wednesday 18th March, from 8.00pm to 9.30pm British Time or 3.00pm to 4.30pm US Eastern Time.

They will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour and, as always, you are welcome to ask any questions at all about sleep or the Sleepio program. If there are a lot of questions, they may not be able to answer all in the time available, but will try to answer as many as they can.

Please do note that, as per our guidelines, Dr Kanady will not be able to give personal medical advice including those about medication. Their replies to questions will be made in such a way as to help as many people as possible who might have similar issues.

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to refresh this discussion page.

To do this

On PC hit CTRL and R keys or the F5 key
On Mac hit CMD and R

Posted 12 Mar 2020 at 6:47 PM
  • 15 comments
  • 1 helped

Comments

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 3

Hi there I have a question – I've always read that the bedroom should be reserved for sleep/sex only and we should avoid working, taking business calls etc etc in our sleep space to avoid associating the bedroom with stressful thoughts. Unfortunately I'm currently living in a shared house which doesn't have any communal lounge space (this is very common unfortunately :() and so therefore my bedroom doubles up as my place to sleep, work, watch tv etc etc. I avoid doing any of these things in bed – I do all my work, tv watching etc at my desk and reading etc on soft cushions I have set up on the floor and therefore my bed it's self is only used for sleep/sex. Is there anything else I should be doing in this situation?? thanks.

• Sleepio Member

• 453 comments
    • 182 helped
    Graduate

Hi JRob, I’ve posted a reply to you on your page :)

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

I use my bedroom to dress, do my make-up and hair – there is relly no place else. Are those ‘permitted activities’ ?

• Sleepio Member

• 52 comments
    • 22 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Graduate

Hi CIB. If you don’t have anywhere else to do these activities then you have no choice but to do them in your bedroom. Just make sure you don’t use the bed. Do your make-up and hair sitting in a chair not on your bed. The only two things you should be doing in your bed is to sleep or to have sex. This way you will have a good sleep bed connection. Don’t use the tv or electronic devices ie Kindle, Ipad, laptop, mobile etc in the bedroom as this technology is thought to disrupt our sleep.

I can see you’re in Session 3. I hope that you have another room to go to to do Sleep Restriction (SR) and the Quarter of a Hour Rule (QHR). Have your bathrobe and slippers near by. Have the room that you’re going to prepared for QHR and SR. A lamp on or dimmed lights, a blanket or fleece, a heater on low and some things to do to pass the time ie a jigsaw puzzle, maybe knitting or maybe a book. That way you’re prepared to do QHR and SR and it won’t feel quite so daunting having to get up during the night as the room you’re going to will be inviting and warm. If you don’t have another room except your bedroom to do QHR and SR just have an area in the room set up for this purpose. Have a chair in the room or if there isn’t room use cushions on the floor and a lamp but only put the lamp on (or lights dimmed) if you have to do QHR or SR. Darkness promotes sleep. Have activities set up and the room prepared as above but have the bedroom cool. Make sure you are sleepy tired when it’s time to sleep. Don’t use the bed until it’s time to sleep.

Hope this helps.

Good luck.

LoM.

• Sleepio Member

• 7 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

Just wondering why I always wake around 4 or 5 or 6 andI am feeling hot every time I wake. I don't have s thick duvet.It used to be 3 am and sweaty so an improvement. Maybe I'm having too big an evening meal although I eat around 6pm.

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

How can I join live session?

• Sleepio Member

• 383 comments
    • 120 helped
    Expert

Hello Sleepio community! My name is Dr. Jennifer Kanady. I am a clinical and research psychologist with an expertise in sleep. I am here to answer any and all sleep-related questions for the next 1.5 hours. Looking forward to chatting!

• Sleepio Member

• 383 comments
    • 120 helped
    Expert

Hi nmmb,

Welcome to the live chat! By posting your question, you are participating. Essentially, the way live chat works is that Sleepio members post questions and I respond to the questions in turn. Please feel free to follow-up with any sleep-related questions.

• Sleepio Member

• 383 comments
    • 120 helped
    Expert

Hi JRob0512,

Thanks for the question and you are absolutely right. The general rule of thumb is: “The bed is for the S’s -- sleep and sex only.” In an ideal world, this would encompass both the bed and the bedroom. However, this is not always feasible due to living situations (e.g., having roommates, living in a studio apartment), mobility problems (e.g., pain), and other factors. It sounds like you are adjusting to your situation beautifully. My general recommendation is that when possible, keep the bed a sacred space for the S’s. All other activities that need to be done in the bedroom should be done outside the bed. Using a desk and pillows on the floor are great, creative ways to reteach your brain that the bed is a place for sleep! Other people have found that bed canopies and room dividers are helpful for separating the bed from the rest of the bedroom. If the bedroom is large enough, you could also arrange the furniture in a way that makes the bed and the rest of the bedroom feel like separate spaces. I would encourage you to play around and get creative! Keep up the great work and don’t hesitate to reach back out with any additional questions.

• Sleepio Member

• 383 comments
    • 120 helped
    Expert

Hi CIB,

Thanks for the question. Please see my response to JRob0512 above, which addresses a similar question. I also see that your peers have provided some support.

To reiterate what I mentioned above: the general rule of thumb is to limit the bed and bedroom to sleep and sex only. This breaks the association between the bed/bedroom and wakefulness and reteaches the brain that the bed/bedroom is a place for sleep. However, this is not always feasible due to living situations (e.g., having roommates, living in a studio apartment), mobility problems (e.g., pain), and other factors. Sometimes activities other than sleep need to occur in the bedroom. In these situations, the general advice is to do your best to keep the bed sacred. Hair and makeup can be done in the bedroom, but ideally not in bed. This is really an opportunity to be creative and experiment with the bedroom space! Please feel free to reach back out with additional questions.

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 3 helped
    Graduate

Hi Dr Jennifer Kanady,

One question please: How can you get rid of the snooze habit when it has been a life time struggle ?

Thx
    David

• Sleepio Member

• 383 comments
    • 120 helped
    Expert

Hi Jim43,

Oh boy, that sounds really frustrating. There are many things that can contribute to waking up feeling hot and sweaty including hormonal changes, alcohol use, and environmental factors. Another contributing factor may be the fact that our core body temperature starts to rise during the early morning hours. It sounds like you are already doing some nice things to help combat feeling hot, nice job. Some other tips that may be helpful are keeping the bedroom environment cool (the recommended temperature for sleep is around 68 degrees Fahrenheit), having layers on the bed that you can remove as you start to feel hot, avoiding tight clothing and wearing breathable fabrics, and putting a fan in your room. Hope this helps, feel free to follow-up.

• Sleepio Member

• 383 comments
    • 120 helped
    Expert

Hi David,

Great question and this is a hard habit to break! Let’s start by talking a little bit about snoozing and the process of waking up.

Sleep is not an on-off process. E.g., it’s not like a light switch. Just like it takes us time to fall asleep at night, it also takes some time for us to wake up in the morning. Those initial feelings of grogginess upon awakening and that urge to return to sleep are totally normal and are to be expected. It is something called sleep inertia, which is the transitional state between sleep and wake. This is all to say that feeling groggy upon awakening and wanting to return to sleep doesn’t necessarily mean that you didn’t get enough sleep or good sleep, it just means that your brain needs an opportunity to wake up.

Some of the best ways to break through sleep inertia quickly include getting out of bed immediately, turning on a bright light/opening the curtains, splashing cold water on your face, listening to uplifting music, and exercising. Snoozing only prolongs sleep inertia and makes it worse.

Snoozing is certainly a tough habit to break, but it can be done! Some tips that others have found to be helpful include putting the alarm across the room, setting a timer on the coffee machine to start at your rise time (or just before your rise time), enlisting partners or roommates to help, and doing something first thing in the morning that you look forward to. Also, keeping a regular rise time, even on the weekend, is helpful for lessening sleep inertia and combating the snooze.

Please feel free to follow-up and let us know how it goes.

• Sleepio Member

• 383 comments
    • 120 helped
    Expert

Signing off now. Thanks for the great questions. And please feel free to take advantage of the next live expert chat next Wednesday.

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 3 helped
    Graduate

thank you very much Doctor for the tips and explanations.

Return to top