Live Discussion with Dr Jen Kanady - 07 July 2021

Dr Kanady will be hosting a live online discussion here on Wednesday 7th July, from 8:00 pm - 9:30pm British Time or 3:00 pm to 4.30 pm US Eastern Time.

They will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour and a half and, as always, you are welcome to ask any questions at all about sleep or the Sleepio program. If there are a lot of questions, they may not be able to answer all in the time available, but will try to answer as many as they can.

Please do note that, as per our guidelines, Dr Kanady will not be able to give personal medical advice including those about medication. Their replies to questions will be made in such a way as to help as many people as possible who might have similar issues.

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to refresh this discussion page.

To do this

On PC hit CTRL and R keys or the F5 key
On Mac hit CMD and R

Posted 7 Jul 2021 at 7:47 AM
  • 12 comments
  • 3 helped

Comments

• Sleepio Member

• 13 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Can you tell me at what point on the Sleep restriction you receive additional 15minutes to your sleep schedule?
    Do you continue to have further 15 minutes added as time goes on and when does this stop, how do I know when I have reached my ultimate sleep time.
    Many thanks

• Sleepio Member

• 29 comments
    • 4 helped
    Graduate

Do you think that filling in the diary each day puts a lot of emphasis on your sleep scores and hence pressure to do better? I have found it difficult to remember some mornings how many times I woke up and how long they lasted. I then worried when I saw I had not had as much sleep as I would have liked.
    Having completed the course I still have not mastered waking up in the early hours and being able to get back to sleep again if I have a particular problem I am worrying about. I could get out of bed at 2am and not be tired enough to go back to sleep again.

• Sleepio Member

• 394 comments
    • 123 helped
    Expert

Hello Sleepio Community! My name is Dr. Jennifer Kanady. I am a clinical psychologist with an expertise in sleep and I am here for the next 1.5 hours to answer any and all sleep-related questions. I will answer the questions in the order in which they were received. Looking forward to chatting!

• Sleepio Member

• 13 comments
    • 0 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Graduate

Can you tell me at what point on the Sleep restriction you receive additional 15minutes to your sleep schedule?
    Do you continue to have further 15 minutes added as time goes on and when does this stop, how do I know when I have reached my ultimate sleep time.
    Many thanks

• Sleepio Member

• 394 comments
    • 123 helped
    Expert

Hi Sulfate,

Such a great question, glad you asked. You will be given the option of adding 15 minutes to your sleep restriction window once you have achieved a 90% sleep efficiency.

Individuals are also given the option of adding 15 minutes if the current window poses too much of a challenge. That being said, it is is to be expected that the early weeks of sleep restriction will be challenging. In fact, when folks tell me that they feel sleepy during the day, I often respond with, “that means it's working.” One of the reasons sleep restriction works is that it increases the sleep drive, which can increase feelings of sleepiness during the day. If you are feeling sleepy during the day, then you are more likely to fall asleep and stay asleep that night. Often, if you can push through the first couple of weeks of sleep restriction, it gets easier and sleep often improves.

As to when to stop increasing the sleep restriction window, another great question! I generally tell people to pay attention to two things: (1) how they are feeling during the day and (2) if their sleep has started to regress. If you are feeling like you are functioning well during the day with the current window, that may mean that you have reached your optimal window and you can keep the window as is. If sleep starts to regress (e.g., if the sleep problem starts to return), that may mean that you have adjusted the window too far and you may want to decrease by 15 minutes. A bit of experimentation often helps to find the optimal sleep window.

Keep us posted on how things are going!

• Sleepio Member

• 394 comments
    • 123 helped
    Expert

Hi senora,

I am glad you asked as this comes up a lot.

One thing that is helpful to keep in mind about the sleep diaries is that they are meant to capture the subjective experience of sleep. The sleep diaries don't need to be perfect and providing a rough estimation of the different sleep parameters is perfect. In other words, no need to clock watch!

You raise a really great point about the sleep diaries. For some, recording sleep using the sleep diary can make individuals more anxious about their sleep, which of course, we want to avoid as that can exacerbate any ongoing sleep troubles. (Interestingly, we also sometimes see the same sort of things with sleep trackers like the Fitbit). If this is your experience, one thing that may be helpful is to remind yourself of what I mentioned in the first paragraph. E.g., the diaries are meant to be an estimation and don't need to be perfect. If filling out the diaries every morning is too stressful, you can experiment a bit to find a process that works best for you. E.g., maybe rather than filling out daily, fill out every other day. Or giving a sweeping overview of the week. Or maybe using the Fitbit to fill in sleep diary parameters (if you have a Fitbit). Ultimately, Sleepio is a self help program and we trust that individuals will apply what is taught in Sleepio in a way that works best for them.

Please do feel free to follow-up with any additional questions and keep us posted about how things are going!

• Sleepio Member

• 13 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Thanks for your helpful reply. Will I only receive one extra 15 minutes full stop. Or more than one lot of extra 15mins? It would mean I still only get just under 6 hours. How long does the course last? Will I be able to go to bed at different times to the schedule? Sorry I'm a bit confused.

• Sleepio Member

• 394 comments
    • 123 helped
    Expert

Hi Sulfate,

The idea is that you keep adding 15 minutes to the window until you have reached your optimal sleep window. E.g., if your initial window was 5 hours, every week you add 15 minutes (assuming you have achieved a sleep efficiency of 90%) until you reach your optimal window (e.g., when you feel like you are getting enough sleep). If you haven't achieved your optimal sleep window by the end of the program, you can still check in with the Prof and he can help you to continue to adjust your sleep restriction window. Another option is to continue adjusting your window on your own. Please let me know if additional clarification is needed.

• Sleepio Member

• 13 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

No that's very helpful. How long does the course last?

• Sleepio Member

• 394 comments
    • 123 helped
    Expert

There are six sessions total. After the six sessions, there are additional “check in” sessions, where you can review progress with The Prof and continue to adjust your sleep window as needed.

• Sleepio Member

• 13 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

That's great thanks.

• Sleepio Member

• 394 comments
    • 123 helped
    Expert

Thanks everyone for the great questions! Signing off now. For any lingering questions, please take advantage of our live expert chat next week.

Return to top