Live Discussion with Dr Gwen Keenan - 30th April

Dr Keenan will be hosting a live online discussion here on Wednesday 30th April 7pm-8.30pm (BST).

She will discuss as many topics as possible, starting with the most popular questions with answers being given in a way to give the most benefit to the general Community.

To have a say in which questions are answered, either:
+ post a question or comment ahead of the discussion, by clicking the blue ‘Add a comment’ button; or
+ vote on other people’s questions, by clicking the blue ‘Yes’ button underneath the relevant comment.

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to ‘refresh’ this discussion page.

To do this:

+ On PC hit ‘Ctrl’ and ‘R’ or the ‘F5’ key
+ On Mac hit ‘Command’ or ‘Apple’ and ‘R’

Posted 24 Apr 2014 at 3:41 PM
  • 54 comments
  • 31 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 409 comments
    • 91 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Graduate

Hi there, this is a common problem even in good sleepers! It sounds as though you are feeling that you are getting a good sleep at night time however you do not feel ready to get up when the alarm goes off- is that right? Are you currently getting up at 9am and you want to make that earlier? You could try setting your bed time earlier and your waking time earlier and sticking to it. Once the alarm goes off, get up. Hitting snooze does not help and only adds on a very disrupted bit of sleep. I recommended earlier that you should get up and get some bright light and fresh air- this helps you waken. Also, getting in the shower will help you waken and feel ready for the day. Most people find that once they are up and going the sleepiness they felt when they first woke up passes quickly. How does that sound?

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Hello,

Yes that's excellent, thanks. Do you happen to know of any other good sources of help out there, just while i'm speaking to you??

• Sleepio Member

• 409 comments
    • 91 helped
    Graduate

I think that would be a good idea. You do need to have the energy to implement SR so just wait until you feel ready and continue to implement the other aspects of the programme

• Sleepio Member

• 409 comments
    • 91 helped
    Graduate

The contents of the sleepio course should provide lots of information that will help improve your sleep and an improved sleep will help with waking in the morning. The content of sleepio is based on years of research and clinical practice so it is reliable and evidence based advice. Of course though, have a look on the internet and see what you can find and you can always ask back here about anything you come across. I have heard some people using light based alarms that are supposed to help you waken more naturally than an alarm clock. I have to say though, I am not aware of any research into these but I have heard some people find them useful. Maybe you could open your blinds/curtains a bit and let the natural light come in as it is quite light at about 6am now. Caffeine is also stimulating first thing however I would not recommend it in the evening as this will interfere with sleep! Avoiding alcohol is also helpful as this causes a poor sleep, dehydration and problems getting up. I hope you find something that helps but as I say, once the alarm goes off, get up and go- sleepiness will soon fade.

• Sleepio Member

• 409 comments
    • 91 helped
    Graduate

Hi there and welcome to sleepio! I would not worry about this- just record what you recall of your sleep. The sleep diary does not need to be 100% accurate however we do need a fairly good estimation of what your sleep has been like. There is a link below with some advice about the accuracy of the sleep diary. If you look up jawboneUP in the search box you will also find a discussion thread about these devices that might be helpful.

https://www.sleepio.com/library/article/how-accurate-does-my-sleep-diary-need-to-be/

Good luck with the programme and please come back to me if you need any further advice.

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Thanks, you have given me some positive ideas. I have just bought a Dawn Simulator available on Ebay but haven't actually got this up and running as yet. Natural light as you say may help, i will try opening the blinds a little before bed to let the sunlight in in the morning.

• Sleepio Member

• 409 comments
    • 91 helped
    Graduate

I would be interested in hearing how that helps- keep in touch!

• Sleepio Member

• 409 comments
    • 91 helped
    Graduate

I wonder if there are any more questions- we have 15 minutes left. Also I would really value anyone's tips as to getting up in the morning- that has come up a bit tonight. Any ideas from the community?

• Sleepio Member

• 184 comments
    • 17 helped
    Graduate

I posted on whiskey's profile, saying that although I was
    not too keen on getting up when alarm went, when I
    did I very soon felt properly awake, and rid of my feeling
    of 'O Lord do I HAVE to get up now?' feeling. Stick
    with it is the answer, albeit not easy.

• Sleepio Member

• 409 comments
    • 91 helped
    Graduate

Thanks for doing that- it is so helpful to get advice from others going through the programme! You are right, it is not easy but it works.

• Sleepio Member

• 46 comments
    • 12 helped
    Graduate

I woke up dizzy & woozy yesterday & by about late afternoon (Australian time) I was tired but kept going as I didn't want to nap & ruin my night sleep. Dozed off on the sofa a bit & finally went to bed about 11 pm. Unfortunately woke about 3.45 am (1st May) & simply can't get back to sleep. Should I resume my circadian tablets that I was prescribed until I learn a little more about CBT?

• Sleepio Member

• 13 comments
    • 4 helped
    Graduate

Apologies, had to go, but briefly: I'm intrigued with the comments on difficulties on waking up. If I think 7 am .. well ..almost certainly I awake at that time. My question .. why can't it work the other way … tell myself what time to go to sleep …Oh how blissful that would be. Many thanks for this evening Dr Gwen ….. from BerylM

• Sleepio Member

• 184 comments
    • 17 helped
    Graduate

thank you. i have been helped too by community.

• Sleepio Member

• 409 comments
    • 91 helped
    Graduate

I think you should have a discussion with your GP about this as these tablets are likely to be helpful to your overall well-being. The reason I am wanting to check if sleep restriction is feasible when you have bipolar disorder is because of the link between bipolar disorder and problematic circadian rhythm. Having said that, all other aspects of the programme should be benificial to you so continue with the programme and I will reply to you with more information over the coming week. Does that help?

• Sleepio Member

• 184 comments
    • 17 helped
    Graduate

Good night and thanks for your advice, and I enjoyed
    following others' remarks/questions.

• Sleepio Member

• 409 comments
    • 91 helped
    Graduate

That is all for tonight. Thanks for joining me and good night!

• Sleepio Member

• 409 comments
    • 91 helped
    Graduate

Sorry, I nearly missed this comment! It is great that you can wake by thinking of the time- are you naturally a “morning person”? Once sleep problems start it can cause some anxiety and negative thoughts about going to bed and this can then exacerbate the difficulty. Sometimes we develop a range of dysfunctional behaviours to cope with poor sleep such as using excessive caffiene or napping. This then make going to sleep even more difficult. As the problem gets worse so too do the thoughts and anxiety, and you can get stuck in a vicious cycle where sleep is hard to come by. Sleepio aims to address all of these issues. I hope that answers your question!

• Sleepio Member

• 46 comments
    • 12 helped
    Graduate

I got into the habit of listening to my radio with earphones on. Should I wean mysel off that if I should only associate bed with sleep? And if I should what is the best & easiest way?

• Sleepio Member

• 46 comments
    • 12 helped
    Graduate

Yes I shall resume my circadian. Thank you

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Thank you very much for your advice and the for the link, Dr. Gwen.

Return to top