Live Discussion with Dr Gwen Keenan - 28th August

Dr Keenan will be hosting a live online discussion here on Wednesday 28th August, 7pm-8pm (BST).

She will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour, starting with the most popular questions with answers being given in a way to give the most benefit to the general Community.

Posted 23 Aug 2013 at 12:34 PM
  • 87 comments
  • 6 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 409 comments
    • 91 helped
    Graduate

Hi there Speccyguy, I am just coming to your question. Apologies if this is taking some time this evening! You can certainly have TV as part of your wind-down. I think we all use it to zone out and wind down. However if you are watching something quite stimulating right up until the point of going to bed then it might interfere with getting to sleep.

• Sleepio Member

• 409 comments
    • 91 helped
    Graduate

To answer your question Speccyguy, I am glad to hear the QHR is working for you, many people find it difficult however when they persevere with it, they see good results. It is also reassuring to remember that the QHR is a means to an end, a way to strengthen your Bed-Sleep Connection. You shouldn't need it in the future, once you are sleeping well.

• Sleepio Member

• 409 comments
    • 91 helped
    Graduate

It is a good idea to have a plan of where you will go and what you will do when you are out of your bed. Can you make any changes to the place that you go? Is it a nice, calm and relaxed place? How are the light and heating levels? I wonder why you are returning to bed before you are sleepy-tired? I assume this is because like all of us, you want to sleep!

• Sleepio Member

• 409 comments
    • 91 helped
    Graduate

However, returning before you are sleepy tired will not make it come any quicker unfortunately. Try to stay out of bed, in a nice warm and relaxed place and read or relax until you feel sleepy tired. The signs of this are itchy eyes, lack of energy, aching muscles, yawning or an involuntary tendency to 'nod off'.

• Sleepio Member

• 409 comments
    • 91 helped
    Graduate

You have described how this is more difficult for you when you are feeling tense and that you have tried using relaxation strategies which is great. I wonder if you have used the thought checker- what thoughts are driving this tension?

• Sleepio Member

• 409 comments
    • 91 helped
    Graduate

Could they be re-evaluated? Are they negative and catastrophic (e.g. I will NEVER sleep) and could you replace these thoughts with more accurate and calming thoughts. Maybe try employing a new relaxation strategy. Many people find autogenic training very helpful and for others mindfulness meditation is more helpful.

• Sleepio Member

• 409 comments
    • 91 helped
    Graduate

I am wondering it the tension is linked to anxious thoughts and if so, mindfulness might be very helpful for you. It helps you to stay in the present moment without letting thoughts intrude on your mood. It takes practice but many people find it very helpful. I hope some of these suggestions will be helpful to you.

• Sleepio Member

• 276 comments
    • 59 helped
    Graduate

Thanks! I'll investigate those strategies – esp mindfulness

• Sleepio Member

• 409 comments
    • 91 helped
    Graduate

Hi Vivianvelar,
    Great to hear you have stuck to your sleep window and that you have used the QHR. It is also good to hear that you had only one awakening. Sleep restriction although tough is a fundamental component of CBT for insomnia. This is to improve sleep efficiency and overcome “faulty conditioning” where the bed cues feelings of anxiety or frustration rather than feelings of relaxation and sleepiness.

• Sleepio Member

• 409 comments
    • 91 helped
    Graduate

It is a good idea when you start this part of the programme that you are prepared for it. It is a strange experience to be up and moving around the house as the world seems to sleep around you! I wonder what you could do to make this process feel as calm and as comforting as possible?

• Sleepio Member

• 409 comments
    • 91 helped
    Graduate

I gave some advice about this earlier on this evening and it might help you. Make sure that you have a nice environment to relax in as you stay up until your threshold time and where you will go while sticking to the QHR. Plan for what you will do; do you have a good book or magazine to look at? Could you employ some wind down and relaxation strategies?

• Sleepio Member

• 409 comments
    • 91 helped
    Graduate

As you continue with this part of the course your sleep efficiency will improve and over time you will be able to increase your sleep window. Sleep restriction helps to restore normal levels of sleepiness by increasing your drive to sleep and synchronising your body clock.

• Sleepio Member

• 409 comments
    • 91 helped
    Graduate

The first days-week are the hardest however keep in mind that by reducing your sleep time you are building sleep pressure which will over time help reduce the time it takes to fall asleep and improve sleep efficiency. You will find lots of support from the on-line Sleepio community so utilise that whenever you need it. Keep going and you will see benefits- good luck!

• Sleepio Member

• 409 comments
    • 91 helped
    Graduate

We have 5 more minutes, has anyone else got any questions?

• Sleepio Member

• 409 comments
    • 91 helped
    Graduate

Thanks for your patience while I adjust to this new format. I wonder if anyone has any comments on it?

• Sleepio Member

• 409 comments
    • 91 helped
    Graduate

Thanks to everyone for joining this session. I hope it has been useful! Goodnight all.

• Sleepio Member

• 276 comments
    • 59 helped
    Graduate

Good night

• Sleepio Member

• 219 comments
    • 36 helped
    Graduate

I've benefitted from the discussion, thanks, no comments on the format as I haven't used anything like it before. Presumably it's to get everyone to the same most recent comment at the same time? Thanks all

• Sleepio Member

• 243 comments
    • 50 helped
    Session 3

Goodnight everyone.

• Sleepio Member

• 16 comments
    • 6 helped
    Session 4

Thanks very much Doctor, very vivid and helpful responses which are very much appreciated by not only me but everyone here I think.

Return to top