Live Discussion with Dr Gwen Keenan - 22nd January

Dr Keenan will be hosting a live online discussion here on Wednesday 22nd January 7pm-8.30pm (GMT).

She will discuss as many topics as possible, starting with the most popular questions with answers being given in a way to give the most benefit to the general Community.

To have a say in which questions are answered, either:
+ post a question or comment ahead of the discussion, by clicking the blue ‘Add a comment’ button; or
+ vote on other people’s questions, by clicking the blue ‘Yes’ button underneath the relevant comment.

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to ‘refresh’ this discussion page.

To do this:

+ On PC hit ‘Ctrl’ and ‘R’ or the ‘F5’ key
+ On Mac hit ‘Command’ or ‘Apple’ and ‘R’

Posted 16 Jan 2014 at 9:28 AM
  • 43 comments
  • 3 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I woke up today at 12pm after sleeping through my alarm and missed an important appointment. I am worried that I wont be able to wake up for work when I find a job. Will Sleepio help me to wake up when my alarm goes off and wake up earlier?

• Sleepio Member

• 409 comments
    • 91 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Graduate

All napping should be avoided although there could be a number of reasons that some nights are better than others so don't stress to much of you have a five minute nod off! Do you find that you sleep better after a day of moderate exercise- could you look though your diaries and see if you recognise any patterns? As I have said, it can take several weeks or months for a solid pattern to emerge. If you think about how long you have had a sleep problem relative to how long you have been doing this programme then you can get an idea of how new all this is to your body and mind.

• Sleepio Member

• 79 comments
    • 16 helped
    Graduate

As already mentioned, i find it difficult to avoid inadvertant napping in the evenings, so thats the hardest rule to stick to.

• Sleepio Member

• 409 comments
    • 91 helped
    Graduate

Hi there Raj, yes is the answer I am afraid. You should keep your sleep window at the same time every night and only increase it when your sleep efficiency has been at 90% for a week. Then you can add on 15 minutes. I would recommend that you implement the QHR to limit the time you spend awake in your bed. We are trying to develop a strong sleep-bed connection and lying awake in bed will inhibit this process. Make sure you have somewhere warm and comfortable you can go to during this time and wait until you are sleepy tired before returning to bed. his may mean that you only return for a short time I understand, or maybe you will not return at all. This will help create sleep pressure for the following night however which should help you reduce your sleep onset latency and increase sleep effciency. Overtime you will find that your sleep window can increase.

• Sleepio Member

• 79 comments
    • 16 helped
    Graduate

I do also find it even harder to stay awake after a physically active day.

• Sleepio Member

• 409 comments
    • 91 helped
    Graduate

I understand how difficult that is. Could you join an evening exercise class? Could you organise to phone someone at the time you usually start to feel really tired? Is there an activity (even house work!!) that you could start in the evening at the point when you start to nap?

• Sleepio Member

• 409 comments
    • 91 helped
    Graduate

Have you kept your sleep window at the same threshold time across these twelve weeks? I am wondering if it might need to be shifted back- this might help you in the evenings however it would mean an earlier start in the morning.

• Sleepio Member

• 79 comments
    • 16 helped
    Graduate

Changing the window wouldnt fit as well with my husbands sleep preferences, but I have thought about doing that….

• Sleepio Member

• 409 comments
    • 91 helped
    Graduate

Welcome PomBok! I am not sure what kind of sleep difficulties you have however I am sure sleepio can help you. Sleepio uses a variety of cognitive and behavioural techniques to overcome sleep problems. It sounds as though maybe your sleep routine is out of sorts? This will be addressed in detail across the programme. I don't want to skip ahead so just take each session week by week and i am sure you will feel the benefits. Good luck!

• Sleepio Member

• 409 comments
    • 91 helped
    Graduate

It might be worth a go if you are struggling to stay awake in the evening. It could be a temporary measure until you get your 5 hour window up to 90% sleep efficiency. You could then work on shifting it to fit with your husband? Consistency is important though as we want the night time routine to be very predictable

• Sleepio Member

• 409 comments
    • 91 helped
    Graduate

Any last minute questions?

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Thanks for your reply. But with 4 hours sleep in consecutive nights, it is affecting my work. At 4pm I can no longer work, as I am so tired. Before I started this course, for 3 nights I use to get 4 hours sleep, but in between I used to get 5 hours, by going to sleep the second time, after having a gap of I hour. Hope this is making sense.

Thanks again

Raj

• Sleepio Member

• 79 comments
    • 16 helped
    Graduate

Thanks for the suggestions!

• Sleepio Member

• 1913 comments
    • 441 helped
    Graduate

Stick with the programme Raj and be very patient, you have to put in the effort to get a result but if you cut corners you will not do so well, this is not an easy programme but it works.

• Sleepio Member

• 409 comments
    • 91 helped
    Graduate

Implementing a 5 hour sleep window that is at a consistent time should help here. The QHR will be difficult to implement, I understand that, but I would recommend you do this. As I said, the bed-sleep connection is important to help develop an automatic sleep response when you are in bed. Lying awake in bed for an hour could be harmful. Remember though, you can try and initiate a number of strategies when you wake up that might help you fall asleep. What is it that keeps you awake? Is it a racing mind? Could thought blocking help? Could you try doing some relaxation? Would paradoxical thinking help? Instead of thinking “I must sleep, I only have an hour left” maybe think to yourself “I will stay awake for this hour”. You might find you fall back asleep. You are new to sleep restriction so there are a few techniques you can try out.

• Sleepio Member

• 409 comments
    • 91 helped
    Graduate

Thanks. Your encouragement is very helpful. It can feel very daunting at the beginning of the programme but as you say, cutting corners can hinder progress.

• Sleepio Member

• 409 comments
    • 91 helped
    Graduate

Thanks for joining me tonight. I really enjoyed the interesting comments people have made about relaxation techiques and I hope people have found them helpful. Good night.

• Sleepio Member

• 344 comments
    • 79 helped
    Graduate

Thank you!

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Yes when I get up after 4 hours in bed, I probably have a racing mind, I start think about work, kids, normal life things, if I don't sleep soon then I will have a bad day at work. Another problem I have, is that when I am really tired, it affects my speech, which is a problem at work. I use to habit of speaking fast and not that clear, which I have resolved, but if I have a really bad night, then it puts my speech backwards.

• Sleepio Member

• 409 comments
    • 91 helped
    Graduate

I think the thought checker might be helpful here as well as using some relaxation and thought blocking strategies. You will get more information on session 4 regarding using the thought checker. Remember that the most restorative sleep is during the first few hours of your sleep and it sounds as though this is when you sleep well. Use that information to reframe your thoughts regarding the impact of having had 4 hours sleep. So you might reframe “I have only had four hours sleep, I will never cope today” with a more accurate thought such as “I have had four hours sleep and this will include deep restorative sleep. This will help me get through the day”. As I mentioned in previous comments, you need to generate your new thoughts yourself so you can connect with them. Maybe have a look at my earlier comments on using the thought checker. You are still quite new to the programme so stick with it! Good luck.

Return to top