Live Discussion with Dr Bryony Sheaves - 9th April

Dr Sheaves will be hosting a live online discussion here on Wednesday 9th April, 7:00-8:30pm (BST).

Dr Sheaves is a Research Clinical Psychologist working within the Sleep and Circadian Neuroscience Institute at the University of Oxford. Her work focuses on the association between sleep and mental health difficulties, particularly symptoms of psychosis.

She will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour and a half, starting with the most popular questions with answers being given in a way to give the most benefit to the general Community.

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to ‘refresh’ this discussion page.

To do this:

+ On PC hit ‘Ctrl’ and ‘R’ or the ‘F5’ key
+ On Mac hit ‘Command’ or ‘Apple’ and ‘R’

Posted 3 Apr 2014 at 4:26 PM
  • 75 comments
  • 22 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 478 comments
    • 81 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Expert

In terms of the course, I'd try your best to keep up with the techniques as closely as you can so that you are maintaining what you have already put in place. You could fill in your sleep diary retrospectively later if you are still in the midst of the course (not sure on your timings or how far through the course you'll be). But most of all, have a good time!

• Sleepio Member

• 478 comments
    • 81 helped
    Expert

E3a,

Yes this is possible, the program wont know that it's the kids waking you up. Extend your sleep window, but not too radically unless you think this is necessary. Bring your bed time forward a bit, but try to make sure you still go to bed when you're feeling sleepy-tired. If you feel dangerously tired through the day, take a nap earlier in the day, preferably before 3pm. I'd refrain if possible from drinking caffeine after dinner if you can.

• Sleepio Member

• 5 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Hi Dr. Sheaves.

Thank you for responding.

I usually cut my caffeine at 4pm, but needed it to reach my sleep time to do SR. I will go back to going to bed at 10pm, since that seems to result in the best sleep, and if I guess I'll just deal with the nights where the kids waking me up and I can't get back to sleep for hours. I'll take one more session with the prof and unless that gives me a new perspective on the Sleepio course, I'll take a break an come back when the kids are older. Based on my family history and the many times I have not been able to go back to sleep after a kid woke me up, I've got a strong feeling that I'll be back with Sleepio.

E3a

• Sleepio Member

• 478 comments
    • 81 helped
    Expert

Hi Jo90,

Sorry you are having such a tough time with the SR. There are probably other graduates who have some encouraging comments. It is one of the key elements of the course so worth returning to when you feel able.

The way it works is by increasing your sleep pressure, so that your chances of sleeping are as high as possible when you go to bed. But, this is within reasonable limits – if you feel dangerously tired, it might be worth taking a short nap earlier in the day.

In terms of staying in bed when you are awake, I guess you are finding this restful? It is worth doing this in another room so that you keep you bed-sleep connection strong rather than associating being in bed with being awake. Then returning to bed when you feel sleepy-tired again. The key is consistency, so that you can get back into a consistent rhythm. Good luck with it.

• Sleepio Member

• 478 comments
    • 81 helped
    Expert

Hi Qualitynotquantity,

It's difficult to say why you are experiencing this feeling once a week but if you are concerned it's something other than insomnia it's worth getting it checked out in more detail.

• Sleepio Member

• 478 comments
    • 81 helped
    Expert

Sorry I should have added that your GP should be helpful as a first port of call.

• Sleepio Member

• 478 comments
    • 81 helped
    Expert

Hi JimK – you're right, it's real life and so really important! I also think that some of the other graduates might be helpful in terms of thinking through some practical solutions. This would be the first step – if there is a way you and your wife can find a way to make the campervan option work for both of you. Thinking through for example, where you could go if you wake up, what you can do.

Once you find your sleep settles into a regular pattern you may find that you can be a little more flexible with the routine.

Lastly – well done on the brilliant progress you've made. Lovely to hear.

• Sleepio Member

• 478 comments
    • 81 helped
    Expert

Hi Mckaydesign,

It might be worth getting a second opinion on this from another doctor, there are risk factors one of which is being overweight, but there are also more in depth tests which a GP can refer you on to if they think it necessary.

• Sleepio Member

• 478 comments
    • 81 helped
    Expert

Hi Daphne,

It sounds like you have been through a stressful time with your operation – it's not surprising this has impacted on your sleep. I see you're in week 2, hopefully a mixture of continuing with sleepio plus your ankle improving will both help your sleep.

• Sleepio Member

• 478 comments
    • 81 helped
    Expert

Hi Ray 1,

I have to admit I'm not sure on the exact algorithm that the program uses but I'm going to find out and reply later. Hope that's ok.

• Sleepio Member

• 478 comments
    • 81 helped
    Expert

Hi Joanne, it's good to hear that you are starting to see changes with your sleep. In terms of recovery, it depends on what outcome you are thinking about. By following the course you should start to see changes in your sleep which should also impact on how you feel through the day. I see you are nearer the start of the course so keep going.

• Sleepio Member

• 478 comments
    • 81 helped
    Expert

Hi Gutenberg,

Good to have found a strategy that helps you nod back to sleep, I wonder if you could catch yourself before falling asleep in front of the telly (but when you notice you are sleepy-tired) and get back to bed? Then you could quite nicely classify this as sleep time…!

• Sleepio Member

• 478 comments
    • 81 helped
    Expert

Nice to hear Ally!

• Sleepio Member

• 478 comments
    • 81 helped
    Expert

Hi HelenW – I'm not aware of any objective test. The main concern would be if you were feeling sleepy whilst at the wheel, in which case, of course, be sensible. It sounds like you aren't any longer, given your increased sleep?

• Sleepio Member

• 478 comments
    • 81 helped
    Expert

I'm going to stop there for this evening. Thank you all for your very interesting questions tonight. Bryony

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Thanks Dr Sheaves

Yes, I hope to keep up with the plan, which seems to be helping so far. Generally, I find that I do sleep better on these camping trips. Perhaps this is the fresh air and exercise. On the other hand I also have spells of not sleeping well at all. In retrospect, I suspect that such bad sleeps are maybe due to going to bed too early which is a result of nothing to do in the evenings and no light for reading, etc.! Thanks. Richard

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Thanks Dr Sheaves

Yes, I hope to keep up with the plan, which seems to be helping so far. Generally, I find that I do sleep better on these camping trips. Perhaps this is the fresh air and exercise. On the other hand I also have spells of not sleeping well at all. In retrospect, I suspect that such bad sleeps are maybe due to going to bed too early which is a result of nothing to do in the evenings and no light for reading, etc.! Thanks. Richard

• Sleepio Member

• 17 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

By my 90% I meant the sleep efficiency for a week. This is an average I have only achieved once in 2 years. This means my sleep window has only increased by 15 minutes in all that time and although it is a routine I can cope with, it's also disappointing. Quite often I have dal difficulty in keeping awake in the evening from about 8:30 until bed time at 11:15.

• Sleepio Member

• 8 comments
    • 3 helped
    Graduate

Dr Sheaves,
    Thanks for that. I look forward to information about the algorithm that the program uses.
    Ray

• Sleepio Member

• 8 comments
    • 3 helped
    Graduate

Dr Sheaves,
    Thanks for that. I look forward to information about the algorithm that the program uses.
    Ray

Return to top