Live discussion with Dr Bryony Sheaves - 6th July 2016

Dr Sheaves will be hosting a live online discussion here on Wednesday 6th July, 7.00 to 8.30pm British Standard Time or 2.00 to 3.30pm US Eastern Standard Time.

Dr Sheaves is a Research Clinical Psychologist working within the Sleep and Circadian Neuroscience Institute at the University of Oxford. Her work focuses on the association between sleep and mental health difficulties, particularly symptoms of psychosis.

Please do note that, as per our guidelines, Dr Sheaves won't be able to give personal medical advice. Her replies to questions will be made in such a way as to help as many people as possible who might have similar issues.

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to refresh this discussion page.

To do this

On PC hit CTRL and R keys or the F5 key
On Mac hit CMD and R

Posted 30 Jun 2016 at 11:06 AM
  • 38 comments
  • 2 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 16 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

The answers to questions in the live discussion 6th July 2016 are not showing up on the community page. I left a question but could not get home in time to participate. How do I access the answers?

• Sleepio Member

• 66 comments
    • 1 helped
    Administrator

Hi all,

So very sorry for the delay with your questions receiving responses! Dr. Sheaves, unfortunately, had something come up at the last minute and was unable to attend, which I'm sure you've all realized by now – again, so sorry!

An expert will be on to answer your questions as soon as possible and their full reply to your individual comment will be emailed to you.

Please feel free to reach out at hello@sleepio.com if we can help in the meantime!

All the best,

Shanna
    +++
    Sleepio Team

• Sleepio Member

• 66 comments
    • 1 helped
    Administrator

Hi everyone,

You've all been responded to personally. :)

Please check your inboxes for those, and if you have additional questions feel free to add those to this week's Live Session with Dr. Creanor at: https://www.sleepio.com/community/discussion/live-discussion-with-dr-vicki-creanor---13th-july-/

We apologize for the delay with those and are grateful for your patience!

All the best,

Shanna
    +++
    Sleepio Team

• Sleepio Member

• 1339 comments
    • 214 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Expert

hi there,
    this is a question that is best answered by your GP/medical doctor as all sleep aids will work differently, but will also work differently for different people. hope you get clarity on this.
    Vicki

• Sleepio Member

• 1339 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

hi there,
    yes, we would advise that all naps are cut completely as this reduces the impact of sleep restriction. In terms of sleep restriction (I'm hoping this is what you meant by SRT – apologies if not!), it won't necessarily improve each week as we are influenced by what's going on in our lives too. Please feel reassured in this and that it should be a general improvement, but with likely bumps along the way!
    Vicki

• Sleepio Member

• 1339 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

HI there again,
    I'm covering the posts form last week hence why I'm replying to you in two threads tonight..
    i'd advise anyone with recurring nightmares to speak to their GP/family doctor to discuss the underlying anxiety that is causing them in order to find some support for this. Treatment for anxiety will help the sleep, too, if nightmares wake people up.

• Sleepio Member

• 1339 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

hi there – yes, it's quite common. Sleepio will address both these issues because we know that they often occur together, so please feel reassured both will be addressed.
    Vicki

• Sleepio Member

• 1339 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

HI there again – working on two different threads tonight to cover for last week's posts as there was a problem last week. I would advise seeing your GP about the migraines, as discussed tonight.

• Sleepio Member

• 1339 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

hi there – the window is only very gradually increased by 15 mins at a time so that the body starts to get used to more and more sleep so it adjusts by the time the hours get longer. hope this helps.
    Vicki

• Sleepio Member

• 1339 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

hi there,with jet lag, we tend to suggest that people work by the new time zone as quickly as possible, so you eat and sleep at their local times, you get as much sunshine during the day and try to match in as much as possible. The same applies when you come home. TRy not to nap as well. Good luck!

• Sleepio Member

• 1339 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

Sounds like good progress! It could be your body adjusting to the sleep, but just in case, I would look at the quality of your sleep and ask whether you feel refreshed when you wake up. If not, look at some of the techniques that talk about sleep quality. It could also be other factors, such as that you are busy at the moment, stressed etc. But from the sounds of it, things are actually going well.

• Sleepio Member

• 1339 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

It is tricky when sleep can't be regular, and treatment can be affected. However, where possible, try and set a regular wake and sleep time even on days you're not working you could get up at same time as if you are working, as this will help keep as regular as possible.

• Sleepio Member

• 1339 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

Hi there,
    I'm afraid this isn't an area I'm qualified to give the best advice on given it's less of a psychology-related issue, but I'd advise talking to a GP or dietitian about this as they are the experts in this field. Interesting situation, though! Hope you find what you need.

• Sleepio Member

• 1339 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

This is a problem with measuring sleep without monitors, but I wonder of you could pose this to the community to gets tips from others who have found ways around this in practice? Someone I worked with in the past had a great idea of using their phone each time they woke to take a screenshot (depends what phone you have) which showed the time and then recorded it in their pictures by morning. Brief and no need to sit up and turn light on. Worth a try!

• Sleepio Member

• 1339 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

yes of course – it's ok to pause for a few days to assess this – sounds sensible.

• Sleepio Member

• 1339 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

hi there, covering for last week's session but on my own session tonight this was raised as well. I am going to look into it as I don't have access to the graph on my Sleepio account. Will get back to you on this…

• Sleepio Member

• 1339 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

HI there,
    This is really important to avoid. Napping at any time and sleeping outwith the sleep window worked out for you will make the rest of the treatment less effective to ineffective. All naps – unless for medical reasons – should be avoided during the programme as a result.
    Vicki

• Sleepio Member

• 1339 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

HI there,
    covering for last week's expert as know there were problems…there is no time limit on this – you simply return to bed when you feel sleepy tired, even if this is a long time later. Hope that helps?
    Vicki

• Sleepio Member

• 1339 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

hi there,
    sleep restriction is probably the hardest technique for most but is also very effective for many sleep issues. Having a regular, reliable sleep pattern will help non-restorative sleep. There are likely few improvements after a week and most people feel terrible in the early stages of the technique, but when people stick with it, it is very effective and only usually a short-term technique as sleep starts to improve. Have a look at what others say here in the community to help encourage you through these early days of sleep restriction, but also know that it's really effective.

• Sleepio Member

• 1339 comments
    • 214 helped
    Expert

hi there – there was a problem last week – hopefully you can see the thread with the answers put on tonight.
    Vicki

Return to top