Live Discussion with Dr Bryony Sheaves - 12th March

Dr Sheaves will be hosting a live online discussion here on Wednesday 12th March 7:00-8:30pm (GMT).

She will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour, starting with the most popular questions with answers being given in a way to give the most benefit to the general Community.

To have a say in which questions are answered, either:
+ post a question or comment ahead of the discussion, by clicking the blue ‘Add a comment’ button; or
+ vote on other people’s questions, by clicking the blue ‘Yes’ button underneath the relevant comment.

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to ‘refresh’ this discussion page.

To do this:

+ On PC hit ‘Ctrl’ and ‘R’ or the ‘F5’ key
+ On Mac hit ‘Command’ or ‘Apple’ and ‘R’

Posted 6 Mar 2014 at 10:09 AM
  • 51 comments
  • 28 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 9 comments
    • 0 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Graduate

Another idea my wife and I use is to get 2 single beds – 2 foot six wide but divan beds so you can push then together. Effectively you are sleeping together in the same bed but you don't get the problems of a wriggling partner as you each have your own mattress. don't address snoring sounds of course but it helps us.

• Sleepio Member

• 522 comments
    • 95 helped
    Expert

Evening VetGirl2015,
    I’m sorry to hear that the SR has been tough, as mentioned in the reply to McKaydesign, it is an element of the course that people can find really quite challenging. At the same time, we also know that it is one of key components of the sleepio course and has a good evidence base for improving sleep. One element that’s important is consistency, so trying to stick to the same routine each night, rather than having catch up nights.

In terms of your exams, I wonder when exactly these are. You’re right, having exam stress plus SR might be a lot to take on all at once if you are already feeling anxious. If your exams are immediately and you are fresh to SR it might be worth slowing the pace of the course slightly and consolidating the techniques already learnt through your exams. Particularly using the wind down routine if you have a long work day and using relaxation or any other strategies you have to switch off from work. Then introduce SR once this feels manageable.

If the exams are further into next term, you might chose to keep going with the SR, take some support from the sleepio community but also checking in with how you are feeling and getting the support you need. If you are feeling excessively sleepy, you could take a brief nap earlier in the day, so that your sleep pressure has time to build again by bed time. Good luck with it.

• Sleepio Member

• 1692 comments
    • 341 helped
    Graduate

Hi, I'm not sure if the session is still on. Dr. Byrony, are you still answering questions?

• Sleepio Member

• 522 comments
    • 95 helped
    Expert

McKaydesign – in answer to your later posts… The sleep quality measure is a subjective measure, but I think it’s trying to gauge how well you slept when you were asleep (did you get the sense it was a good sleep when you were asleep)? You might have noticed that this can vary irrespective of hours asleep.

With the house versus bed association problem – the key association for improving sleep is the bedroom, and if the bed-sleep connection improves, hopefully the house-sleep connection will also be improved! Good luck with the rest of the course.

• Sleepio Member

• 522 comments
    • 95 helped
    Expert

Hello to everyone who is online and thanks for keeping the conversation going anniem. The session runs till 8:30 so I'm still here, just a slow poster!

• Sleepio Member

• 11 comments
    • 1 helped
    Graduate

Hi Virupa and Mckaydesign. I found that after starting SR I was waking earlier than usual too, however I found SR very effective at breaking my inability to get off to sleep so that overall I felt much better on a day to day basis (I may be a little tired, but not desperately so and nothing like before the course when I couldn't get to sleep all night). I graduated last week and have come to realise that I simply need far less sleep than I used to. Best of luck, stick with it!

• Sleepio Member

• 1692 comments
    • 341 helped
    Graduate

Okay now I see that it runs until then. Thanks for answering the questions so far!

• Sleepio Member

• 522 comments
    • 95 helped
    Expert

Hi Mick T – I'm sorry to hear that the sleep isn't so good at the moment. Have there been any particular changes that triggered this? My advice would be to stick with it, if it worked last time it should be helpful again. I wonder if the other people in the community might be helpful for motivation?

• Sleepio Member

• 522 comments
    • 95 helped
    Expert

Kaylo – just read your post, that's really great to hear that SR was effective and particularly nice for others to hear when they are doing this phase at the moment. And, congrats on graduating!

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Hi Dr Bryony,

Do you have any advice on what I should do to wake up? I already have a loud alarm and have to get up to turn it off but I am a very deep sleeper and return to bed 'for ten minutes' only to wake up hours later. I am very worried as I start work soon and am scared I will miss work. Do you have any suggestions or advice?

PomBok

• Sleepio Member

• 522 comments
    • 95 helped
    Expert

Virupa26 – Sorry to hear that your sleep quality isn’t good. I wonder how much sleep you are currently getting? I see that you are part way through the course, are you doing SR at the moment?

If you are worried about the tension headaches and tiredness it might be worth speaking to your GP to check that there isn’t a separate cause to this.

• Sleepio Member

• 1692 comments
    • 341 helped
    Graduate

Hi Mick T,
    I wonder if you are following all the Sleepio recommendations? Sometimes, when we graduate, we let things slide a bit. It may be worth reviewing exactly what you are doing each evening and night to see if there's any aspect that you need to pay more attention to. It's very common to have relapses and it's also very common to need to continue with the program for some time in order to consolidate what you have learned. Maybe you could post on your profile just what you've been doing and other members will likely jump in with their two cents' worth.
    anniem

• Sleepio Member

• 1692 comments
    • 341 helped
    Graduate

Hi PomBok,
    It may be best not to go back to bed. That seems to be the problem.
    Anniem

• Sleepio Member

• 522 comments
    • 95 helped
    Expert

Hi PomBok – well done on completing the course! How much sleep are you currently getting? Should it be enough for you or is there scope to stretch your sleep window by an extra 15 minutes at a time by bringing your bed time slightly earlier?

In terms of getting up, a loud alarm sounds great. What do you do after that? Think about what you can do to energise yourself for the day – a drink? Opening the curtains to sunlight? Playing music?

• Sleepio Member

• 522 comments
    • 95 helped
    Expert

anniem – really helpful comments for Mick T and PomBok.

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Hi Dr Bryony,

Thank you for your advice, I will definitely incorporate your suggestions. Thank you again,

PomBok

• Sleepio Member

• 522 comments
    • 95 helped
    Expert

Hi kec, I think getting up in the morning is often tricky, even if we think we've had a 'good enough' night sleep. If there are other things going on too, like low mood or thyroid problems this can also make things more challenging. It's important to get treatment for these too.

It might be worth reading my post to PomBok about ideas for getting going in the morning. What works for you and can you plan these in? Keep going with the course – I hope you see improvements.

• Sleepio Member

• 522 comments
    • 95 helped
    Expert

I'm going to say good bye. Thanks for all of your interesting comments and for those who have made helpful suggestions.

Good night,
    Bryony

• Sleepio Member

• 1692 comments
    • 341 helped
    Graduate

Good night Dr. Byrony. Thanks!

• Sleepio Member

• 2 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

Hi Dr Byrony,
    Thanks for your reply. Yes I have started sleep restriction and I am getting about 6 hours and 30-45 mins sleep a night but I still feel really tired during the day like I haven't slept much. I feel this is more to do with my quality of sleep than the length of time asleep? Or could it be both?

I'll make an appointment to see the GP to rule out other causes of the tiredness.

Thanks.

Return to top