Live discussion with Dr Audrey Espie - 4th June

Dr Espie will be hosting a live online discussion here on Wednesday 4th June, 7:00-8:30pm (BST).

She will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour and a half, starting with the most popular questions with answers being given in a way to give the most benefit to the general Community.

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to ‘refresh’ this discussion page.

To do this:

+ On PC hit ‘Ctrl’ and ‘R’ or the ‘F5’ key
+ On Mac hit ‘Command’ or ‘Apple’ and ‘R’

Posted 2 Jun 2014 at 3:50 PM
  • 43 comments
  • 3 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 243 comments
    • 50 helped
    Session 3

Theresa, you didn't post a question, you answered one! Thank you.

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Dr Espie,

Sorry, one follow up point is that from when I wake up at 4 am, I can feel my body temp start to increase & overheat. I am on the thinnest duvet I have (4.5 tog) but can't seem to keep a comfortable temperature.

I think I wake up first and then start to overheat. Any more advice?

• Sleepio Member

• 243 comments
    • 50 helped
    Session 3

Good evening mascan, if you've joined us tonight I wonder whether I could ask a bit more information? You said you get to sleep within 5 mins. since you commenced the programme, was it that you found previously you were awake for a long period after going to bed? Is there anyone in your home who would be able to clarify whether you snore when asleep? Do you find that you are very tired during the day?

• Sleepio Member

• 243 comments
    • 50 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Session 3

I wonder whether its the fact that you are overheating that actually wakes you up, rather than the other way round? As you probably know, our core body temperature drops when we are asleep indicating that there is a preference for cool over hot. Its worth thinking about recording the temperature in your bedroom throughout the night as it will fluctuate. This may help you to answer the question.

• Sleepio Member

• 243 comments
    • 50 helped
    Session 3

Hello jo90, good choice of name! We try to emphasize the fact that it can be difficult to follow some of the techniques but as the programme is evidence-based we know that they work. What is difficult is sticking to them rigidly. Its clear from what you say that you really want to change your sleep pattern but are you putting too much pressure on yourself? I will say to people sometimes, think about how long you have had this difficulty and consider how long then is a reasonable amount of time to expect to see an improvement? Why don't you consider returning to the beginning and following the programme all over again? You will find the techniques that seemed easier and those which you have to work a bit harder at. Try to see the harder ones as a challenge (in particular the QHR). Think how you could make QHR easier to master – could you leave a light on in the lounge, some easy reading, have a comfy chair there ready for you? Once you feel comfortable with all these other aspects of the programme, then return to SR.

• Sleepio Member

• 243 comments
    • 50 helped
    Session 3

Hello Monika-Maria, good question. You say that you are very happy with your result at graduation point. If that is the case then I would consider moving your sleep window a little, bed a little earlier and rising a little earlier – something which perhaps fits a bit more with your lifestyle? As I don't know your bed/rising times I'm sorry I can't be more accurate. However, as our sleep improves we generally find it a lot easier to shift the window in 15 minute increments.

• Sleepio Member

• 243 comments
    • 50 helped
    Session 3

Sorry Minka-Maria, I posted before I had finished answering your question. I wonder if when you are falling asleep unintentionally that it is affecting your sleep quality as you mention feeling that your sleep isn't as good/deep. That is the rationale behind my suggesting that you go to bed earlier – to prevent these 'naps' impacting.

• Sleepio Member

• 243 comments
    • 50 helped
    Session 3

Apologies, it should have read Monika-Maria.

• Sleepio Member

• 243 comments
    • 50 helped
    Session 3

Hello Becca, thanks for your questions. People sometimes remain on medications, at least initially, while following the programme. If what you are taking is not prescribed then what to consider is caffeine levels.
    It sounds as if you are following the right combination of relaxation and cognitive strategies – telling yourself that relaxing is as restful as sleeping. The QHR can be very effective however, have you tried it at all? If not, I would experiment – perhaps on a night off or weekend (if that applies in your case) and see if you really do feel too awake if you get up. It could prove to be a good tool to use in the future.

• Sleepio Member

• 243 comments
    • 50 helped
    Session 3

Does anyone else have a question? I'm happy to answer a few more. Is there anything that the graduates would like to add to what I've said?

• Sleepio Member

• 53 comments
    • 18 helped
    Graduate

Hi there – I have made great progress but am still having about 30-40 mins pre sleep panic before nodding off…...any suggestions? Racing Heart

• Sleepio Member

• 243 comments
    • 50 helped
    Session 3

Hi Racing heart, I assume that you are panicking that you won't sleep?

• Sleepio Member

• 243 comments
    • 50 helped
    Session 3

• Sleepio Member

• 243 comments
    • 50 helped
    Session 3

• Sleepio Member

• 53 comments
    • 18 helped
    Graduate

Yes…but I nearly always do! Crazy but can't seem to stop the self-doubt

• Sleepio Member

• 6 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

Hi. Do you mean caffeine in the herbal medication or generally. There is no caffeine in the sominex I don't think. I have 1 cup of coffee each morning.

• Sleepio Member

• 243 comments
    • 50 helped
    Session 3

Racing heart, this is when the cognitive techniques are very helpful. Reframe your self-statements. 'I have been sleeping well recently so why wouldn't I sleep well tonight?' Make sure you are sleepy tired before you go to bed. The difference between poor and good sleepers is that good sleepers don't have to think about it – tell yourself you don't need to think about it.

• Sleepio Member

• 243 comments
    • 50 helped
    Session 3

Becca, it doesn't sound as if you are taking excess caffeine.

• Sleepio Member

• 243 comments
    • 50 helped
    Session 3

I hope you've found some helpful answers tonight. If you have further questions please post and an expert will answer. Goodbye everyone.

• Sleepio Member

• 337 comments
    • 38 helped
    Graduate

Optitian couldn't say 100% that my headaches were vision related, but seeing that my prescription has changed, she thought this might be the case. Time will tell when I get my new specs!

Thanks for your helpful reply.

Return to top