Live Discussion with Dr Audrey Espie - 3rd July

Dr Espie will be hosting a live online discussion here on Wednesday 3rd July 7pm-8pm (BST).

She will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour, starting with the most popular questions with answers being given in a way to give the most benefit to the general Community.

To have a say in which questions are answered, either:
+ post a question or comment ahead of the discussion, by clicking the blue ‘Add a comment’ button; or
+ vote on other people’s questions, by clicking the blue ‘Yes’ button underneath the relevant comment.

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to 'refresh' this discussion page.

To do this:

- On PC hit 'Ctrl' and 'R' or the 'F5' key
- On Mac hit 'Command' or 'Apple' and 'R'

Posted 27 Jun 2013 at 12:07 PM
  • 28 comments
  • 2 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 243 comments
    • 50 helped
    Session 3

Yes Polly Sleep, I think you could be right!

• Sleepio Member

• 19 comments
    • 0 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Graduate

It is hard to concentrate with Andy Murray

• Sleepio Member

• 243 comments
    • 50 helped
    Session 3

Welcome to Sleepio Nan. I see you've posted a question thanks, I'll answer it now.

• Sleepio Member

• 19 comments
    • 0 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Graduate

Andy has done it

• Sleepio Member

• 74 comments
    • 17 helped
    Graduate

I know that “napping” is not recommended. However sometimes if I have not had a good night I find that a short nap in the afternoon (around 20 mins) helps me to relax and then I am therefore more relaxed when I go to bed that night. Also if I tell myself I can have a short nap the next day I am not so anxious about getting to sleep at night. What are your thoughts on this?

• Sleepio Member

• 243 comments
    • 50 helped
    Session 3

You can concentrate now – I've heard! You may have seen the information on both apnoea and RLS in the Sleepio library. If you are experiencing excess daytime sleepiness when you are implementing the Sleep Restriction phase of the programme then we can adjust your sleep window. The Prof would recommend that if you experience excessive nocturnal movement or daytime sleepiness that you consult with your doctor.

• Sleepio Member

• 243 comments
    • 50 helped
    Session 3

Hi HarryBear, If napping works for you and its not a regular event then I can understand why. You are also using the cognitive strategies to good effect too by telling yourself you can have a short nap if required. Are you also still implementing some of the relaxation techniques, putting the day to rest etc?

• Sleepio Member

• 1915 comments
    • 442 helped
    Graduate

There is a question on a profile forget whose a lady I think, works on an estate as a caretaker and lives in what I think is a bedsit (did myself once oh happy days) she wondered how she could deal with Sleepio living in this environment. I will try to pass on your suggestions.

• Sleepio Member

• 19 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I will have a read of library material. Most people who suffer sleep loss complain of stress, worry etc. I feel that a lot of my problems are more physical

• Sleepio Member

• 243 comments
    • 50 helped
    Session 3

Thanks holiday. Are you referring to the difficulties in trying to sleep in an environment with so many others?

• Sleepio Member

• 243 comments
    • 50 helped
    Session 3

Nan, I think you'll find the material helpful. it will be interesting to see the results from your Sleep Diary.

• Sleepio Member

• 1915 comments
    • 442 helped
    Graduate

No the bedsit is the sole living area and therefore nowhere to go to isolate here self from the bedroom eats and sleeps there but her own private place.

• Sleepio Member

• 74 comments
    • 17 helped
    Graduate

Yes am using a lot of the techniques. I do Headspace meditation in the morning and the 10 min Slow relax when I get into bed at night. If I nap I start with a muscle relaxation tap and then often drift off half way through. I find counting my breathing works better for me than repeating “the”. My issue is getting off to sleep, I am sometimes not sure if I have drifted off or not. I don't feel as though I have yet my “up'” band tells me I have.

• Sleepio Member

• 243 comments
    • 50 helped
    Session 3

I see. If she's in the UK then this is probably the best time of year to commence the programme, given her circumstances, if she can at least go outside in the evening for a while.

• Sleepio Member

• 243 comments
    • 50 helped
    Session 3

HarryBear are you keeping a written record as well as using your UP data?

• Sleepio Member

• 74 comments
    • 17 helped
    Graduate

Yes when I fill in my diary I go with what I feel ie. if I feel it has taken me 2 hrs to get to sleep I put that down despite what the UP band says.

• Sleepio Member

• 243 comments
    • 50 helped
    Session 3

Thats a good idea HarryBear, worth recording both and making a comparison. Are you also waiting until you are sleepy-tired before going to bed? If you're not entirely sure if you have drifted off to sleep is it more likely that you have then? Just worth considering.

• Sleepio Member

• 74 comments
    • 17 helped
    Graduate

Yes I definitely feel very sleepy tired. The issue is sometimes when I get into bed I then start thinking and wake up, especially as I have a few worrying family issues or it may be something I am looking forward to (a bit like a child at Christmas) if that makes sense.

• Sleepio Member

• 243 comments
    • 50 helped
    Session 3

Yes it does make sense and its back to that idea of trying to associate your bed with sleep. Putting the day to rest seems important for you, even if you don't feel that you are necessarily worrying at that point, I would follow that process. Then of course what comes next is the QHR. Sounds as if you may be getting to sleep (from your UP data) but not maintaining that sleep and waking frequently. I would try to get up, even if its frequently initially.

• Sleepio Member

• 243 comments
    • 50 helped
    Session 3

Goodbye everyone and thanks for joining in the session.

Return to top