Live Discussion with Dr Audrey Espie - 28th March

Dr Audrey Espie will be hosting a live online discussion here on Wednesday 28th March 7pm-8pm.

She will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour, starting with the most popular questions with answers being given in a way to give the most benefit to the general Community.

To have a say in what questions get answered, either: – post a question or comment ahead of the discussion, by clicking the blue 'Comment' link below this message; or – vote on other people's questions, by clicking the blue 'Yes' button underneath the relevant comment.

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to 'refresh' the discussion post.

To do this:

- On PC hit 'Ctrl' and 'R' or the 'F5' key
- On Mac hit 'Command' or 'Apple' and 'R'

Posted 22 Mar 2012 at 5:03 PM
  • 35 comments
  • 7 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 143 comments
    • 25 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Graduate

Sorry I didn't complete my comment. I've should have added that I can feel 'groggy' following my sleep when this happens. Also I've just completed the course. I would never have thought my sleep could be changed, & I'm so glad I stuck with it. I can't thank the sleepio team enough.

• Sleepio Member

• 243 comments
    • 50 helped
    Session 3

It worked this time! Sometimes people think that if they have missed some sleep (such as having a really late night) that they can make up for it by oversleeping later. However, this catch-up can lead to feeling worse. Oversleeping can feel just as bad as undersleeping sometimes. Turn up the alarm, think about how if you fall back to sleep after the alarm you are then rousing a second time. Can you remember how you felt when you had several wakenings in a night? If you also think about how long you may have lived with a disturbed sleep pattern, stabilising that pattern can and will take time. it may simply be that your body is establishing your Sleep Window but it will take longer. Hope this helps!

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I have been told that there is a gene which causes insomnia. My father slept very badly and my younger sister has just started having problems, so I may have this gene. Can I assume that it will make no difference if I work at the Sleepio courseand follow your suggestions? Marys

• Sleepio Member

• 58 comments
    • 31 helped
    Graduate

That's great Tingle! When I finished the course I wasn't sleeping so long, probably the same amount as your are now, but as time has gone on, I've improved so just stick with it. I still have a problem with watching TV in the evening, I do tend to nod off, so have restricted it to one hour per night and my husband watches me like a hawk! Good luck and congratulations on graduating.

• Sleepio Member

• 874 comments
    • 209 helped
    Graduate

Hi lonepine77 it is amazing how many people suffer with insomnia, we all must spread the word about Sleepio and the benefits, most doctors dont seem to want to know
    so sharing on here is invaluable, we have all been there and can gain by helping each other, I hope you get the answers you deserve GOOD LUCK Andy

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I'm sorry – my post about a sleep gene was intended for Dr. Espie – I will get the hang of this eventually Marys

• Sleepio Member

• 243 comments
    • 50 helped
    Session 3

There are numerous types of conditions in which sleep problems are symptomatic. It therefore can be complex to unravel. If you follow the course there are numerous guides and supports not only to deal with an inability to sleep but also to explore your own sleep habits further. You may find it beneficial to better understand aspects of your sleep which you had never considered before? For example, do you think your dad and your sister experience the same types of difficulties with sleep that you do? it may be a worthwhile exercise to find out more.

• Sleepio Member

• 874 comments
    • 209 helped
    Graduate

Quite agree, it could be that some people suffer with insomnia for different reasons, pain, depression I suffer with Fibromyalgia and not sure whether this is a symptom , however ther are several Fibro sufferers on here is there a link with fibro to insomnia?

• Sleepio Member

• 3 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

My father has been dead for about 30 years so all I can remember is that he slept badly – I know he used to get up very early. My sister only began having problems a few months ago – she goes to sleep and then wakes about 2 am and cannot get back to sleep. I both have this problem and also on some nights the lying awake until 2 or 3 am. Marys

• Sleepio Member

• 143 comments
    • 25 helped
    Graduate

Thank you so much Dr Espie for your quick reply. Yes I can agree with you. When I was given my times by the Prof I felt I could live with this new change as I use to be an early riser & going to bed at the time given to me with the adjustments as the course progressed. I've found using the 'thought checker', 'putting the day to rest' & 'planning the whole evening' so helpful that I'm looking @ following this way of being for a long time yet. Thank everyone on the sleepio team for me as without you all I can honestly say my days would have continued to be 'hell'. I was just existing.

• Sleepio Member

• 18 comments
    • 11 helped
    Graduate

Hi Marys, before starting the sleepio course I had similar problems to the ones you describe, but I am now sleeping for several hours at a time. The course does get more challenging but it really is worth sticking with it – it's worth it! Good luck

• Sleepio Member

• 243 comments
    • 50 helped
    Session 3

Apologies Marys, I hadn't quite appreciated that your dad has passed away. You mention that he rose early, did he complain of sleeplessness? With regard to your sister, as I mentioned earlier you may find it beneficial to speak to her about the specific aspects of her sleep maintenance problem. Could there actually be circumstances in her life which could have led to an onset of sleeplessness?

• Sleepio Member

• 58 comments
    • 31 helped
    Graduate

I totally agree with you lonepine, I, too, was just existing and life didn't seem worth living. However, I seem to have a new lease of life now and have even taken up ballroom dancing with my husband and it's become a passion! I really just can't thank the Sleepio team enough. Good luck!

• Sleepio Member

• 58 comments
    • 31 helped
    Graduate

Thank you Dr. Espie, sleep well everyone.

• Sleepio Member

• 243 comments
    • 50 helped
    Session 3

There is some evidence for a link. We have just posted a new article which you may find interesting:

Fibromyalgia and sleep

• Sleepio Member

• 243 comments
    • 50 helped
    Session 3

You too!

• Sleepio Member

• 143 comments
    • 25 helped
    Graduate

I agree with you about spreading the good news as the next time I see my gp I' ll be telling her all about it. I still wake once in the night but I've also have slepted through some nights which I didn't do before. Have also read lots of your comments to the comminity all very helpful thank you. All the very best to you.

• Sleepio Member

• 243 comments
    • 50 helped
    Session 3

Thank you everyone, hope the session was helpful. Sleep well.

• Sleepio Member

• 874 comments
    • 209 helped
    Graduate

Thanks for the link and all the help you give to us all

• Sleepio Member

• 11 comments
    • 2 helped
    Session 5

Just for the record, I have been following Colin Espie's book as unable to get on to Sleepio until now due to technical problems, already on SR routine.

Return to top