Live Discussion with Dr Audrey Espie - 28th August

Dr Espie will be hosting a live online discussion here on Tuesday 28th August 8.30pm-9.30pm.

She will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour, starting with the most popular questions with answers being given in a way to give the most benefit to the general Community.

To have a say in which questions are answered, either:
+ post a question or comment ahead of the discussion, by clicking the blue ‘Add a comment’ button; or
+ vote on other people’s questions, by clicking the blue ‘Yes’ button underneath the relevant comment.

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to 'refresh' this discussion page.

To do this:

- On PC hit 'Ctrl' and 'R' or the 'F5' key
- On Mac hit 'Command' or 'Apple' and 'R'

Posted 23 Aug 2012 at 4:29 PM
  • 37 comments
  • 9 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 874 comments
    • 209 helped
    Graduate

Good evening ALochhead

• Sleepio Member

• 243 comments
    • 50 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Session 3

Hi ALochhead, i dont know whether to congratulate you or not because it sounds as if you have no problem sleeping! Can you elaborate? Are you going to bed late and falling asleep immmediately with no wakenings or is the picture very different?

• Sleepio Member

• 874 comments
    • 209 helped
    Graduate

Sorry to repeat my question , not sure whether you missed it earlier so re-posting

Dr Espie
    I seem to be waking almost the same time (4 am) nearly every day to the minute , any ideas why?

• Sleepio Member

• 243 comments
    • 50 helped
    Session 3

Hi andymoir, Sorry I don't enough about your situation – what do you think is going on?

• Sleepio Member

• 874 comments
    • 209 helped
    Graduate

well I do suffer with depression & take Sertraline, and am on medication for neuropathic leg pain, not sure whether I am waking because the pain killers are stopping working or not, however when I do wake up I stumble about like I am drunk because I am still half awake/sleep

• Sleepio Member

• 874 comments
    • 209 helped
    Graduate

Forgot to add I have OSA and use a CPAP during the night

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Thank you for your reply Dr Audrey,
    I don't go to bed until I feel “sleepy” tired ,about 11pm and fall asleep about 10minutes later. If I can't sleep I get up immediately. I always wake up about 2am to go to the loo and fall asleep more or less immediately after. It's just in the morning I have difficulty keeping to the sleep restriction regime.

Best Wishes

• Sleepio Member

• 243 comments
    • 50 helped
    Session 3

You mention being half asleep, do you always feel you need to rise?

• Sleepio Member

• 243 comments
    • 50 helped
    Session 3

Ok, well what I would suggest then is that you fill in sleep logs for the next few weeks and review your sleep requirements because it sounds as if you are managing really well otherwise – do you think that 15 minutes is enough of an additional period to make you feel more refreshed or do you think you would keep resetting the alarm if you could?

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I would definitely keep re-setting the alarm

• Sleepio Member

• 243 comments
    • 50 helped
    Session 3

In that case I would suggest that you complete your diaries again and review your requirements. Hope this is helpful.

• Sleepio Member

• 874 comments
    • 209 helped
    Graduate

yes always, mostly due to a dry mouth and need something to drink, however I think it's better I get up rather than disturb my partner, however what is strange it's almost to the minute every day, like I have an internal alarm clock going off

• Sleepio Member

• 243 comments
    • 50 helped
    Session 3

Perhaps you do!

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Many thanks for your help.

• Sleepio Member

• 874 comments
    • 209 helped
    Graduate

i will take the batteries out then!!

• Sleepio Member

• 243 comments
    • 50 helped
    Session 3

At least you can laugh about it, thats important!

• Sleepio Member

• 243 comments
    • 50 helped
    Session 3

Goodnight everyone, hope thats been a helpful session.

• Sleepio Member

• 874 comments
    • 209 helped
    Graduate

night all time for prep for bed and wind down, thanks for the answer Dr Espie

• Sleepio Member

• 1900 comments
    • 436 helped
    Graduate

Some of your answers on the 28th were far from helpful, it may help you understand this if you revisit the questions and some of your answers.

• Sleepio Member

• 868 comments
    • 269 helped
    Graduate

Here is a note I wrote to Rosie about my concerns. I’ve been considering how to get the best from our experts during the discussions. We’ve been commenting on various questions at various times between ourselves that we either don’t understand or the comment has been too brief to really grasp the answer for us laymen and women.

I reckon we have to keep at our experts if we don’t understand their first answer. But to give them a chance to really consider our questions I need to ask them earlier than during the discussion. Do you think that might help?

You wisely post the next session well in advance. Do you know if our experts have a chance to look at it before hand? Sometimes I’d love just to know where to go to read more and that information is unlikely to be to hand when the sessions is actually on.

How best to maximize our experts and their valuable time? And how they can get the best out of us?

Maybe we need to be ready with supplementary questions when we write our first question days before the beginning of the session and being really specific about what we need to know? Although sometimes I don't know what it is I don't know, if that makes sense.

And maybe we should only discuss what has been asked in advance? That would give a better chance of things being discussed in detail I think.

Return to top