Live Discussion with Dr Audrey Espie - 24th July

Dr Espie will be hosting a live online discussion here on Wednesday 24th July 7pm-8pm (BST).

She will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour, starting with the most popular questions with answers being given in a way to give the most benefit to the general Community.

To have a say in which questions are answered, either:
+ post a question or comment ahead of the discussion, by clicking the blue ‘Add a comment’ button; or
+ vote on other people’s questions, by clicking the blue ‘Yes’ button underneath the relevant comment.

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to 'refresh' this discussion page.

To do this:

- On PC hit 'Ctrl' and 'R' or the 'F5' key
- On Mac hit 'Command' or 'Apple' and 'R'

Posted 19 Jul 2013 at 11:04 AM
  • 29 comments
  • 11 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

I asked my question

• Sleepio Member

• 243 comments
    • 50 helped
    Session 3

Hi again HarryBear. Dr Keenan has a few comments to make about the specifics of what you have mentioned but I wondered whether what you are actually experiencing is poor sleep actually as a result of our current climate. I conducted an ad hoc poll of colleagues this week only to discover that every person was experiencing disrupted sleep which they put down to the temperature. This kind of information helps us to consider the fact that perhaps it is not a significant event but simply a minor issue which will probably pass.

• Sleepio Member

• 409 comments
    • 91 helped
    Graduate

Hi there, sorry to hear that you feel you have regressed after making such good progress however congratulations for sticking with the program. Although this can feel like a set back, continuing with the program is the best way to improve your sleep. This is a quite a common experience and it is worth bearing in mind that if you have had sleep problems for a long time then it will take time (and some perseverance) to recover sleep stability. You are doing the right thing by continuing with the program. I wonder what kind of thoughts you have been having about this regression and are these thoughts causing you anxiety (and therefore impacting upon your sleep). I also wondered about your expectations in regards to overcoming your sleep problems and about how much sleep you need. Is it possible that you require less sleep than what you are aiming for? I wonder if you could try reframing some of your thoughts in a way that might cause less anxiety? Remember that you have overcome sleep problems before using these techniques therefore you will be able to improve your sleep again- stick with it!

• Sleepio Member

• 243 comments
    • 50 helped
    Session 3

Hi matty43, welcome to Sleepio, I see its your first session. If you think about the fact that the medication is intended to sedate or induce a sleep state that is of course different from the 'natural' state that you might experience without medication. People report experiencing different side-effects from the same kind of medication and in fact people report vivid dreams from other classes of drugs, not just sleeping pills. Are you concerned that you are not experiencing these side-effects?

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I fall asleep fairly easily. It's staying asleep that is the issue and recently it seems to be getting worse. I find it difficult to get out of bed to do something else or read as I always feel like I'm on the edge of falling asleep again though I don't usually. Is it beneficial to get out of bed to distract myself from the sleep issue?

• Sleepio Member

• 680 comments
    • 138 helped
    Graduate

Good evening everyone!

Good evening Dr Espie and welcome Dr Keenan!

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 2 helped
    Graduate

Thank you for your reply.Yes I'm concerned after taking a zopiclone I may not be sleeping at all even though I probably know I have been to sleep as the time passes.

• Sleepio Member

• 243 comments
    • 50 helped
    Session 3

Hi pjones, glad you have joined us tonight. You're early in the programme and will get familiar with the QHR as you progress.I know its difficult to get out of bed, particularly if you feel you are just 'on the edge' of falling asleep. However, this rule is integral to the programme for a reason and I would encourage you to persevere. It will make more sense as you progress.

• Sleepio Member

• 243 comments
    • 50 helped
    Session 3

Hi laureloakwood, so glad you've joined us tonight. Maybe you would would like to reply to some of the previous questions.

• Sleepio Member

• 74 comments
    • 17 helped
    Graduate

Just joined. Thanks for replies. Could be down to weather as coolest place is on the sofa with open windows behind. Finding humidity particularly difficult. Definitely think recent setback has triggered old negative thoughts and feelings. Thought checker does not seem to alleviate this. Prof has given me 71/2 hr sleep window maybe this is too much too soon. Can manage on 6 1/2 quite well.

• Sleepio Member

• 409 comments
    • 91 helped
    Graduate

Hi there pjones, I see you are quite new to the programme so you will have learned about sleep problems and the cognitive behavioural model that helps overcome these difficulties. Many people with sleep problems describe this difficulty of not being able to stay asleep and I can certainly understand that it must feel quite difficult to get out of bed when you awaken however it is very important that you do not spend long periods of time in bed awake. Once you have progressed further through the program you will learn more about two issues you have raised here- the issue of being awake in bed and techniques to help with your sleep difficulies.

• Sleepio Member

• 243 comments
    • 50 helped
    Session 3

Hi matty43, that is a fair comment but I think you are right – you will almost certainly have slept for some of the time. I wonder whether you are thinking that unless there is evidence of 'dreaming sleep' that you haven't really slept? In natural sleep people will recall dreams but not all of the time. Its important to remember that these medications are of course designed for short term usage thus to provide an improvement or stability quickly. If you have more concerns I would return to your GP.

• Sleepio Member

• 680 comments
    • 138 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Graduate

Hi HarryBear,
    Try not to worry about your regression – I still have them every now & then too! The heat & humidity are making things difficult for all of us; just try to stick with the methods you have found effective before. As long as you are feeling overall improvements to your sleeping then you are definitely winning!!

• Sleepio Member

• 409 comments
    • 91 helped
    Graduate

Hi Harrybear, it sounds like the weather may well be having an impact then- I can empathise with that! These setbacks can cause negative thoughts to creep in so it is important to keep things in perspective- it is easy to fall into old ways of thinking! Also, I wonder if aiming for the 7 1/2 hour window is impacting on your expectations and leading to negative thoughts. Work on improving sleep in increments and this will feel more achievable and rewarding and reduce negative (and anxiety provoking) thoughts.

• Sleepio Member

• 680 comments
    • 138 helped
    Graduate

Sorry, being distracted by a rather itchy cat!! She needs to be bathed again I think – having allergic reaction to harvest mites :-(

• Sleepio Member

• 243 comments
    • 50 helped
    Session 3

Hi laureloakwood, thanks for your comments.

• Sleepio Member

• 243 comments
    • 50 helped
    Session 3

Thanks very much everyone for joining us. Have a good evening.

• Sleepio Member

• 409 comments
    • 91 helped
    Graduate

It was nice to join you all tonight and looking forward to coming online again. Goodnight

• Sleepio Member

• 4 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Thank you for your time and comments.

• Sleepio Member

• 219 comments
    • 36 helped
    Graduate

What happened to a rely to the question about whether sleep has 90-minute cycles? Can't find it anywhere, maybe I'm not navigating the site wel lenough yet (after 6 weeks!)

Return to top