Live Discussion with Dr Audrey Espie - 23rd May

Dr Espie will be hosting a live online discussion here on Wednesday 23rd May 7.30pm-8.30pm.

She will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour, starting with the most popular questions with answers being given in a way to give the most benefit to the general Community.

To have a say in which questions are answered, either:
+ post a question or comment ahead of the discussion, by clicking the blue ‘Add a comment’ button; or
+ vote on other people’s questions, by clicking the blue ‘Yes’ button underneath the relevant comment.

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to ‘refresh’ this discussion page.

To do this:
+ On PC hit ‘Ctrl’ and ‘R’ or the ‘F5’ key
+ On Mac hit ‘Command’ or ‘Apple’ and ‘R’

Posted 21 May 2012 at 5:38 PM
  • 64 comments
  • 3 helped

Comments

Show older comments
  • Sleepio Member

• 243 comments
    • 50 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Session 3

Yes Andy thats right, it may be idiopathic but of course there are various conditions linked to night-time sweats. If the frequency doesn't subside when the weather cools down (as we all suspect it will) then you may wish to contact your GP.

• Sleepio Member

• 874 comments
    • 208 helped
    Graduate

Just started raining here in sussex….............

• Sleepio Member

• 243 comments
    • 50 helped
    Session 3

Hi lonepine 77, so the fan doesn't disturb you and you can get back to sleep after turning it off? You have probably all considered optimal temperature to suit your own lifestyle but an open window does seem to work for a lot of people.

• Sleepio Member

• 573 comments
    • 218 helped
    Graduate

I didn't feel I did that well on SR and the course until I went away to France and slept mainly well for 3 weeks, i.e. 7 to 8 hours per night!!!! with about two bad night, but now over last 3 nights have slipped back again, wake after 4/.5 hours and can't re-sleep, this seems a rather strange phenomena after 3 good weeks. If this continues, think I;ll have to start again from scratch. It seems a strange pattern though, I hadn't slept so well in 25 years.

• Sleepio Member

• 874 comments
    • 208 helped
    Graduate

Hight Night Owl is there something here in the UK that makes you anxious etc, maybe the change of scene took away the pressures.
    just a thought.all the best Andy

• Sleepio Member

• 143 comments
    • 25 helped
    Graduate

Night all sleep well.

• Sleepio Member

• 695 comments
    • 308 helped
    Graduate

might it work just to squeeze your sleep window rather than going back to square one?

• Sleepio Member

• 874 comments
    • 208 helped
    Graduate

nite nite you sleep well too…dont forget to switch the fan off!!

• Sleepio Member

• 573 comments
    • 218 helped
    Graduate

Yes Goldie, probably right. During this good sleep time, I felt so much better and started to become far more active and had a great deal more energy, so not looking forward to a lengthy blip. LOL

• Sleepio Member

• 874 comments
    • 208 helped
    Graduate

Hi Night owl …wise words from Goldie as usual , I wouldnt start from scratch I would do the same as goldie said….you will get there…take care…anyway folks I must run my little step lass wants me to do something for her ..sleep well all and have a good nights sleep

• Sleepio Member

• 143 comments
    • 25 helped
    Graduate

Not sure whether this will arrive in time but thanks for your comment Dr Espie, as I live on my own I'm not keen to do this. However this would be the best solution I agree with you.

• Sleepio Member

• 573 comments
    • 218 helped
    Graduate

Hi Andymoir I'm still in France and very happy here, but suddenly unaccountably the bete noir came back!!

• Sleepio Member

• 573 comments
    • 218 helped
    Graduate

And Andy I lived in France for 15 years, and didn't SLEEP!! So it doesn't seem related to anxiety, but more to do with body clock. I wonder if Dr Espie thinks this is correct.

• Sleepio Member

• 695 comments
    • 308 helped
    Graduate

seems to have gone quiet now from the doc so I will go now sleep well everyone

• Sleepio Member

• 243 comments
    • 50 helped
    Session 3

Those are really interesting comments, do you feel living in a country so close would make any significant difference? obviously if lifestyle is significantly different (I think it was the last time I was on that someone mentioned living in the Middle East where people do undertake activities in the early hours of the morning) then this will impact. However, in a significant number of cases we do have to consider 'body clock'

• Sleepio Member

• 137 comments
    • 39 helped
    Graduate

Yes. It has gone quiet. Sleep well everyone. Night night.

• Sleepio Member

• 573 comments
    • 218 helped
    Graduate

Hi Goldie, I certainly seem to be squeezing the sleep window as I wake and don't go back to sleep, so it's more beneficial to get up, do SOMETHING and for a while in the morning feel fine, but the sleep waves soon gather and am avoiding sleep until bed time again.

• Sleepio Member

• 243 comments
    • 50 helped
    Session 3

I also remember last time we discussed the impact of two sleep phases – I think the general opinion was that this was no longer necessary and more debilitating given our current lifestyle patterns.

• Sleepio Member

• 573 comments
    • 218 helped
    Graduate

Thank you to everyone and good night

• Sleepio Member

• 243 comments
    • 50 helped
    Session 3

Thanks everyone for sharing in the session tonight. I hope all the comments have been helpful and hope to speak to you all again soon.

Return to top