Live Discussion with Dr Audrey Espie - 17th July

Dr Espie will be hosting a live online discussion here on Wednesday 17th July 7pm-8pm (BST).

She will discuss as many topics as possible in the hour, starting with the most popular questions with answers being given in a way to give the most benefit to the general Community.

To have a say in which questions are answered, either:
+ post a question or comment ahead of the discussion, by clicking the blue ‘Add a comment’ button; or
+ vote on other people’s questions, by clicking the blue ‘Yes’ button underneath the relevant comment.

To keep up with new comments as they are posted you will need to 'refresh' this discussion page.

To do this:

- On PC hit 'Ctrl' and 'R' or the 'F5' key
- On Mac hit 'Command' or 'Apple' and 'R'

Posted 15 Jul 2013 at 9:36 AM
  • 20 comments
  • 0 helped

Comments

• Sleepio Member

• 219 comments
    • 36 helped
    Graduate

Can getting up 3+ times in hte night to urinate, when worrying physical causes have been eliminated, be addressed though self-training as a schedule/thoughts factor in the resulting poor sleep quality? I'm asking this for my brother-in-law (60+)who may do Sleepio.

• Sleepio Member

• 1 comments
    • 0 helped
    Session 4

I have a comfortable bed and I usually exercise enough during the day to be physically tired by the end of the day. Once I'm in bed though and turn out the light, both my mind and my body suddenly become active. I know that many people have difficulty calming their thoughts, but what about their bodies? I'm not a fidgety person, at all, UNTIL I try to fall asleep at night -- and then I just can't lie still. I have to move this way, that way, then the covers aren't “right” and I have to adjust them, then the pillows aren't “right” and I have to adjust them, then I have to roll over onto my back, or stomach, or side, then fix the pillows again, etc, etc…. It's like I suddenly become a different person, bursting with energy and not the least bit inclined to relax and go to sleep, no matter how “ready for sleep” I felt when I got into bed. HELP!

I've had sporadic mild to severe insomnia most of my adult life, but this particular problem just started a few years ago. I'm a healthy, non-smoking/drinking 50-year-old, but I do have epilepsy, which is controlled with medication. My neurologist doesn't think my bedtime fidgets are related to either the underlying condition or the medication. I have had RLS in the past when on certain medications, but I'm not on those medications now and this is not the same sensation at all. This seems to start from my brain, not my muscles. Maybe it's a form of OCD? (Not a problem I otherwise have.) Thanks for any input.

• Sleepio Member

• 680 comments
    • 138 helped
    Graduate

Hello? Anyone around tonight?

• Sleepio Member

• 9 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

I'm 2.5 weeks into the Sleep Restriction regime but still waking frequently and my sleep efficiency and sleep quality isn't really improving. Any ideas about what I can do to improve this?

• Sleepio Member

• 9 comments
    • 0 helped
    in reply to Sleepio Member
    Graduate

Yes, MargaretB here and I've just posted a comment.

• Sleepio Member

• 680 comments
    • 138 helped
    Graduate

Hi sleepsound, have you had a look round the forums, or searched for the topic?

I know I hardly ever need to get up for the loo any more, unless I've had a drink late at night!

• Sleepio Member

• 680 comments
    • 138 helped
    Graduate

Hi oeshaw, you have only completed session 1 so far. Over the next sessions, you will learn a range of techniques to try and help you associate bed with sleep again, as well as helping you deal with an overactive mind.

It's not an easy fix, but it is definitely worth it!

• Sleepio Member

• 9 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Hi Laureloakwood,
    I'm 2.5 weeks in Sleep Restriction but awaken frequently and my sleep efficient and quality aren't improving much. Any ideas?

• Sleepio Member

• 680 comments
    • 138 helped
    Graduate

Hi MargaretB,
    It took me several weeks for sleep restriction to really make a difference to my sleep quality. Try to stick with it, particularly getting up at the same time every day, including weekends. It is a hard journey, but well worth it.
    And try not to be too hard on yourself if you have a bad night, or need an occasional daytime nap!

• Sleepio Member

• 9 comments
    • 0 helped
    Graduate

Thanks for your encouragement. What did you do when you woke during the night? I'm doing Progressive Relaxation and Imaging and wonder if you did anything else.

• Sleepio Member

• 680 comments
    • 138 helped
    Graduate

Are you sticking to the quarter hour rule?
    (Don't stay in bed awake for more than about 15mins (estimate, don't clock-watch).
    Get up & follow your wake-up plan til you feel sleepy-tired again, then return to bed.)

• Sleepio Member

• 680 comments
    • 138 helped
    Graduate

Well, that was an odd session!! I wonder what happened to Dr Espie?!

Goodnight all, sleep well! xx

• Sleepio Member

• 243 comments
    • 50 helped
    Session 3

Apologies everyone, I've had problems with my technology tonight – must be the heat! I'll try to answer your questions now. Laureloakwood thanks for keeping the session going.

• Sleepio Member

• 243 comments
    • 50 helped
    Session 3

Hi sleep sound, we know that there are changes in sleep duration as well as quality through our lives. Just as newborn babies sleep as much as 3/4 of the time, as we age we tend to have less deep sleep – more light and it can be more fragmented. In a way it is as if we have less information we require to process! However, people may sleep as much but it is spread more throughout the day. If your brother in law is experiencing a lot of intrusive thoughts about his sleep when he goes to bed it may simply be that he would benefit from some cognitive techniques that would teach him to deal with these thoughts.

• Sleepio Member

• 243 comments
    • 50 helped
    Session 3

Hi oeshaw, welcome to Sleepio. You mention that you think the problem starts from your brain and not your body, but as you know the two are linked. It sounds as if you unwittingly may be thinking about your inability to sleep and this in turn leads to the restlessness. We would always advise to seek medical advice if you think there is an underlying cause as you have done. However, the course will teach you a variety of techniques for dealing with your thought processes which may help you to explore the relationship between your mind and your body and the impact that one has on the other. Good luck with the course and please let us know how you are getting on.

• Sleepio Member

• 243 comments
    • 50 helped
    Session 3

Hi MargaretB, laureloakwood has emphasised the fact that it can take some time to get used the sleep restriction but also to stick to the plan as much as possible. Consistency is very important. If you think about how long you have experienced sleep problems and consider the stage you are at in the programme then this may give you some encouragement – it might not change overnight (excuse the pun) but is worth persevering. Good luck!

• Sleepio Member

• 243 comments
    • 50 helped
    Session 3

I'm happy to answer any further questions if anyone wants to post?

• Sleepio Member

• 219 comments
    • 36 helped
    Graduate

i think he has sensation that wakes him that he needs to go to the toilet, and is not aware of intursive thougts at all. My qustion is, can he train his bladder? (Not a problem for me but may be for others.)

• Sleepio Member

• 243 comments
    • 50 helped
    Session 3

Hi sleep sound, just as the body's sleep requirements change with age so do our continence habits. We know that as people age they can experience more wakenings to go to the bathroom during the night. This can be due to medications as well as particular drinks – diuretics. Your brother-in -law may wish to visit his GP to explore further. it may be simply that he would benefit from a review of his pre-bedtime fluid intake and also to rule out other physical causes.

• Sleepio Member

• 868 comments
    • 269 helped
    Graduate

There are clinics within the NHS GP surgery in my village which deal with urinary problems. Perhaps your relative might work with one of them before he starts sleepio?

For what it is worth I still wake 3 times.

Return to top